Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/24/2007, 09:14 PM
Registered Member

Salt, narrowed it down to two.

I can't decide between which salt to get. I've narrowed it down to the Red Sea Coral Pro and Instant Ocean. I want to eventually get some sps and possibly an lps, and assume the Red Sea would be best, but I wanted to get some input. I have read up on it a bit, but would like some real world experience with the two. I've heard that Red Sea is good for Reef Tanks, but Instant Ocean seems to be a favorite.
Old 07/24/2007, 09:17 PM
RC Mod

They both should be okay. I use Instant Ocean. It requires some magnesium and calcium supplementation before use. The Red Sea mix is a bit high in calcium, according to their description, but that might be okay, depending on the animals to be kept.
Old 07/25/2007, 12:33 AM
reef obsessed

I use Instant Ocean. The only thing I do to it is add approx 70ppm of calcium chloride at water changes.
Old 07/25/2007, 12:47 AM
Team RC Member

You might also want to consider Reef Crystals. Made by IO but with more calcium and magnesium. Therefore, less supplementing.
Old 07/25/2007, 08:17 AM
Registered Member.

I don't know if you guys supplement for magnesium or not when making a new batch of water. I always do to make sure the calcium does not participate, I've had one incident where it had happened... or maybe it was because I added too much calcium to try to make up for it. Whatever it was, the magnesium was still low if your using IO.
Old 07/25/2007, 11:35 AM
Registered Member

I eventually plan on keeping some sps corals and know they need the calcium. i figure it's just better to start with the right salt from the beginning. I guess I'm leaning toward the Red Sea. I saw the Reef Crystals too. I guess I'm leaning towards the Red Sea. Unless someone with some Reef Crystals experience chimes in with some recommendations.
Old 07/25/2007, 12:11 PM
Registered Member

<<< I eventually plan on keeping some sps corals and know they need the calcium. i figure it's just better to start with the right salt from the beginning. >>>

Most experienced people will tell you there is no 'right' salt, I recently tried the Red Sea and immediatly switched back to Seachem Reef Salt.
Old 07/25/2007, 12:21 PM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thejamesvolta
I eventually plan on keeping some sps corals and know they need the calcium. i figure it's just better to start with the right salt from the beginning. I guess I'm leaning toward the Red Sea. I saw the Reef Crystals too. I guess I'm leaning towards the Red Sea. Unless someone with some Reef Crystals experience chimes in with some recommendations.
Howard is right about the no best salt deal. If I had the choice between RS Coral Pro and Reef Crystals, it would be RC hands down in my book.

Buzzing around the different forums as much as I do, there are definitely a lot more RC users than Red Sea. Just my observations.
Old 07/25/2007, 12:59 PM
Registered Member

red sea coral pro is easier to work with since you don't have to dose right away to get it's levels up. I use it and it works great. One of the newer studies done also show that IO for some reason has a tendency to have issues with red slime algae more than other salts.
Old 07/25/2007, 01:48 PM
Registered Member

You will find a vast sea of opinions in here. I use Instant Ocean, and have been for the last few years.
Old 07/25/2007, 03:43 PM
Registered Member

It sounds like it's based on opinion then. Thanks guys!
Old 07/30/2007, 10:20 AM
Premium Member

Howard, I've been trying out Red Sea Coral Pro too and this past weekend my 10% water change resulted in stressed corals...many of them were sliming. I think I will switch back to Seachem myself. Do you mind sharing why you are switching back? What was your experience with RSCP?
Old 07/30/2007, 10:43 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Canarygirl
Howard, I've been trying out Red Sea Coral Pro too and this past weekend my 10% water change resulted in stressed corals...many of them were sliming. I think I will switch back to Seachem myself. Do you mind sharing why you are switching back? What was your experience with RSCP?

I tried it out for a few weeks doing several small water changes with RSCP in a couple of my tanks.

1) I didn't like the way RSCP mixed up and left a lot of fine brown sediment on the bottom of my mixing jugs after 24 hrs. I believe this was due to the incomplete cleaning / purification of the salt after their solar evaporation process.

2) In one of my tanks after doing a couple water changes with RSCP I started to notice small blooms of a brownish hair algae which I believe was due to the RSCP salt possibly having algae spores in the mix.

3) I experienced no positive differences in my tanks after trying the RSCP salt as some others had reported and saw no compelling reason to continue using it in view of the above.

Last edited by HowardW; 07/30/2007 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07/30/2007, 10:52 AM
Premium Member

Agreed indeed!

Quote:
Originally posted by Billybeau1
You might also want to consider Reef Crystals. Made by IO but with more calcium and magnesium. Therefore, less supplementing.

"You win some, lose some, and wreck some."- Dale Earnhardt.
Old 07/30/2007, 10:58 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
2) In one of my tanks after doing a couple water changes with RSCP I started to notice small blooms of a brownish hair algae which I believe was due to the RSCP salt possibly having algae spores in the mix.
Wow! I've been having a bloom of brownish hair algae in one of my tanks too, and it never occurred to me that it might be from the salt. Hmmmm....
Old 07/30/2007, 11:02 AM
g l a s s b o x

out of those two i would pick RC, but i am not fond of the red color residue it leaves... many people get this and it seems to not effect the tank...but still leaves me concerned.

my two favorites are seachem reef salt and tropic marin. levels are consistant and they mix well.

"i like bubbly, and i love animals - so it works out well"

"there are a lot of people out there who think they have a modern house simply because they have alot of steel in it"