Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/19/2007, 10:30 PM
Registered Member

thanks Dave, couldn't agree more with you, seems sometimes that quantity is more important than quality, and lots of people don't seem to realise how fast acros grow, given the right conditions.
Old 12/20/2007, 11:01 AM
Premium Member

Re: constructive critisism

Quote:
Originally posted by littlegym
Mine dont rate anywhere near some shown here but I would love to here some constructive critisism from all of you. Eventually my frags will grow big.
Your tank is looking really nice. You asked for contrstructive criticism, so here goes:
1. Get rid of all the frags on the sand (note to self, go home and do the same).
2. Remove the rack, or whatever that is, in the top right corner.
3. Consider lowering the height to allow for coral growth. It will be easier now than later when they are big. It should loo too low to you now, so it will be how you like it when the corals are 1 foot tall.
4. Take out all the mag cleaners. Not only do they look crappy to non-reefers, but sometimes they leak and rust inside.
Old 12/20/2007, 01:56 PM
Premium Member

CW thank you thats the things I want to hear. Unfortunantly I am in a battle with my husband over how much rock we have. He's always had FOWLR and thinks you have to have the rock. I agree it does help fill in the tank when the frags are still small. I will work on it and try sneaking a piece out here and there.

As for my frags they are not normally there nor is the rack. The ice storm caused us to put everything from my 55 frag tank into this one. We wanted to be sure and have enough power to run the 125 and 100 along with staying warm. When we are sure teh winter storms arent going to cause power outages tehy will return to their proper home.
Thanks for the tip on the magnet. I'm anal about cleaning my glass and although its usually on the side it wont be now. I didnt know it could leak rust.
Old 12/20/2007, 06:13 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by littlegym
CW thank you thats the things I want to hear. Unfortunantly I am in a battle with my husband over how much rock we have. He's always had FOWLR and thinks you have to have the rock. I agree it does help fill in the tank when the frags are still small. I will work on it and try sneaking a piece out here and there.

Oh my god, that is soooo funny, becuase I have the exact same battle with my wife! She wants more, taller rocks, and I keep telling her we need to have it lower. So the coral can grow out, then it will look how she wants it. So far I am losing the argument, but I did design the rockwork so that I can remove rocks from the bottom later, lowering the reef, without moving the corals on the top. At least that is the plan....
Old 12/20/2007, 07:26 PM
Registered Member

Hey Littlejim,
The rockwork is beautiful. Does not look cluttered at all. I agree with the critic on this one. After you do all that it will improve a great deal...
Old 12/21/2007, 10:34 AM
Premium Member

Heres a few shots of my new 210g.

Old 12/21/2007, 11:19 AM
Registered Member

I'll play with the big boys...

Here's my 75g. This tank was only set up in March '07, so it's still fairly new. Note, in these pics, it's mostly LPS/Softies, however, I have added some SPS since the last pic was taken.

Original aquascape (pic in June/July?)

Re-aquascaped in October

1-75g FW Planted
1-55g African Cichlid
1-125g w/ 4 turts
1-75g RR Reef
1-12g NC Mantis, 1-12g AP Brittle Star
2-cats
2-dogs (1 Catahoula Leopard Mix & 1 Shepherd Mix)
Old 12/21/2007, 11:22 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MSU Fan
I'll play with the big boys...

Here's my 75g. This tank was only set up in March '07, so it's still fairly new. Note, in these pics, it's mostly LPS/Softies, however, I have added some SPS since the last pic was taken.

Original aquascape (pic in June/July?)

Re-aquascaped in October
It looks like you removed the rocks that had the hair algea on them? or did it die off?

Don't keep track of how much money you spend on your system. You will enjoy it much more that way :-)
Old 12/21/2007, 11:29 AM
Registered Member

No, we had DIY LR that apparently not cured long enough, so the HA was growing more on those rocks...we just pulled them out and kept the real LR.

We're still battling a phosphate issue, but there is a lot less HA than before...

1-75g FW Planted
1-55g African Cichlid
1-125g w/ 4 turts
1-75g RR Reef
1-12g NC Mantis, 1-12g AP Brittle Star
2-cats
2-dogs (1 Catahoula Leopard Mix & 1 Shepherd Mix)
Old 12/22/2007, 10:34 AM
B'rer Reefer

Well, here's an example of rockwork kept on the low side to allow for growing room (swimming room for the fish also); it's the first peek at my 500g rebuild after the devastating crash last spring. Because of all the fish and the amount of time it took to cure the new rock, the 'scape itself took about 3 months to complete. To give you a sense of scale, the large 'anchor' rock on the left is 36" long and weighed over 90 lbs. It took 3 of of to gently lower it to the bare bottom.

I am currently working on a thread detailing the complete rebuild but thought I'd debut the general design here. Let me know what you think.

Oh, and for those who may not have seen it, here is the tank last May, right before the crash.

Old 12/22/2007, 12:23 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 64Ivy
Well, here's an example of rockwork kept on the low side to allow for growing room (swimming room for the fish also); it's the first peek at my 500g rebuild after the devastating crash last spring. Because of all the fish and the amount of time it took to cure the new rock, the 'scape itself took about 3 months to complete. To give you a sense of scale, the large 'anchor' rock on the left is 36" long and weighed over 90 lbs. It took 3 of of to gently lower it to the bare bottom.

I am currently working on a thread detailing the complete rebuild but thought I'd debut the general design here. Let me know what you think.
Very, VERY well done. That is going to be stunning! Imagine the grown out corals you had with this scape! And condolences on the previous tank loss. Thanks for sharing that.
Old 12/22/2007, 01:09 PM
Dumb Hobbiest

64IVY, glad to see your getting the tank back up and going, the old setup was always one of my favorite tanks, and this new layout should grow into something much better!

Can't wait to see the thread!
Old 12/22/2007, 01:57 PM
CDMAS

Define Irony: Algae growing on a snail.
Old 12/24/2007, 03:55 AM
Registered Member

Here is my aquascaping . I am still working on it after 8 months.
Old 12/24/2007, 06:50 AM
Premium Member

Here it is when I started the tank back in April...

and 8 months later....

Old 12/24/2007, 08:02 AM
Registered Member

wow what size was the pink PN when you bought it?

Don't keep track of how much money you spend on your system. You will enjoy it much more that way :-)
Old 12/24/2007, 09:00 AM
Copperband Butterfly

Wow, Reefbum, what kind of lighting are you using?
Old 12/24/2007, 08:56 PM
Premium Member

Thanks guys. With the exception of the green slimer, all the acros started as either small colonies or frags. I have used a number of different halides...now I am running 2 SE 14.5k 400W Giesmann Megachromes and 1 14k Ushio on HQI ballasts. I am also running 8 39W T5s (actinics).
Old 12/25/2007, 01:07 PM
Registered Member

Verrrrrrrry nice Reefbum! I like the negative space and that while it is very "full" it doesn't look overcrowded. Great clean look.
Old 12/25/2007, 05:35 PM
Alpha One

Sing, goddess, the rage of Achilles the son of Peleus,the destructive rage that sent countless pains on the Achaeans...
Old 12/25/2007, 08:29 PM
Premium Member

Old 12/26/2007, 10:59 AM
Registered Member

Wow NaH2Ofreak, that's the best yet IMO. Very dramatic, I like the contrast between the softys in the lower left and the sps cliff i the middle.
Old 12/26/2007, 11:37 AM
Registered Member

Ok the last couple of tanks, you all should be very proud!! Love the clean look!!!

NaH2Ofreak, your tank is stunning and the cleanest I've ever seen, I really envy your setup. Can you give some details of how you keep the substrate, LR and back of tank so clean?

Sunny X, Love the scaping and corals, awesome tank!

Reef Bum, Congrats on great growth in 8months, wow!

Now what to do with my GC's from X-mas, hmmm??
Old 12/26/2007, 12:24 PM
Mother won't be happy

Some different shots

Here are some different shots so you can see more detail of the Tiki Ruins:

I am QT'ing all my fish before introduction (should introduce them in about 6 weeks). Here is the link to my build thread if you are curious: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1264946
Old 12/26/2007, 10:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SunnyX

I have to say that of all the tanks that I have seen yours is my favourite.
When my tank grows up it'll be like yours...