Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/26/2007, 04:38 PM
Premium Member

I'm itching for an update as well

Proud Registered ORCA Member
Old 07/26/2007, 04:56 PM
Premium Member

Well nothing major happening at the moment. I'm waiting for the contractor to move the stand into place so we can put the tank on it.

I'm going to paint the stand and wall while I wait I'm also waiting for my 1000pounds of liverock to be shipped.

We have also been working on technical stuff like feeding info from the BioTopus controller to a computer and onto a webpage in fancy graphics. We are also writing a program to control the webcam over the webpage so you guys can have a look

And I am trying to figure out the best way to lift the tank onto the stand. Thinking about using two of those :
Old 07/26/2007, 05:07 PM
Registered Member

What type of webcam do you use/going to use?

Thanks,

Jacob
Old 07/26/2007, 06:23 PM
Premium Member

The Canon VB-C300

Since you ask I just have to write a little bit on this camera.

After some research I decided to go for a Canon web camera. The image quality is excellent, its wide angle 70°, I had seen a great java controller program on a browser for Canon cameras and it also had a nice queue system.

The problem is that on this new model, released in march '07, is that it doesn't come with the java applet feature like all their older models. I was kinda pi**ed and tried calling Canon and their reply was that this was a security camera and it's only possible to view images from it with a Canon client you have to install on your computer.

We then used a sniffer program to see what controls the camera using the client and wrote our own program. Take that Canon ! hehe

So I don't recommend this camera for this kind of job. I would rather go for the VB-C50i which has a functional java applet for web streaming and controlling. I had a look at Sony cameras but they use DirectX for their controllers which doesn't work to good on Firefox.
Old 07/27/2007, 06:34 AM
Registered Member

wow, watching the tank live will be great !!
Old 07/27/2007, 05:18 PM
Registered Member

Not sure if this has been asked or i missed it, but what is this going to weigh when completed?
Old 07/27/2007, 05:33 PM
Premium Member

Probably around 20.000 pounds or 9 ton.
Old 07/27/2007, 05:47 PM
Registered Member

**snort** 2x4 stand ought-T-work just fine **snort** yup...
Old 07/27/2007, 07:20 PM

Very nice Arnar! Pics are awesome!
Old 07/28/2007, 09:21 AM
I am a super nose picker

I don't know if the genie lift is strong enough to lift that much weight.I have used one before to lift A/C units.I don't remember what the maximum weight was but I don't think 2 genie's can lift 3000 pounds.Maybe they are larger than the one I rented.I would be nervous using 2 of those to lift such a big tank.Better to go with a forklift(larger model)I don't know how tight you are with space.
Old 07/28/2007, 09:30 AM
I am a super nose picker

http://www.genieindustries.com/default.asp anar if you take a look on there site I found some of the genie lift can lift a max of 1000 pounds.They may have a model that can lift more since they have several types of lifts
Old 07/28/2007, 04:45 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for your input Steve. We are going over some options and nothing has been decided 100% yet. We won't take any chances though

In progress news the stand is going in it's place this weekend.

Here are few photos of some of my LR which should be here late next week.

Old 07/28/2007, 05:17 PM
clownfish fan

thats not enough rock, whats that about 350 kilo?
sweet shelves
Old 07/28/2007, 05:20 PM
I am a super nose picker

those are some big rocks.You will need plenty of large size rocks to fill that tank.Lord only knows what this tank will cost once its full of fish and corals.I think you are the king of large reef tanks.I a thinking my 300 gal tank that I am getting is to small after looking at your tank.Thats one giant tank.You can take a swim in it.I hate to see the total cost of this tank when its finished.Does your wife know what you are doing?business expense!
Old 07/28/2007, 06:14 PM
Premium Member

Yes I will need a lot of rock to fill the tank and this is only a part of it. I'm getting 450kilos/1000pounds next week and we already have 3 to 400 kilos of base rock here. When I have built the aquascape with dry rock I will cycle it with few hundred pounds of wet liverock to seed. We will probably end up with around 900 to 1000 kilos / 2200 pounds.

We want to have some open areas and not just a tank stuffed with rock back to back
Old 07/28/2007, 10:36 PM
Registered Member

Isn't that just base rock in the pics? If not, it doesn't look very "live"...

Purple people eaters are racist.
Old 07/29/2007, 03:10 AM
Premium Member

Yep that is dry rock. I plan to add some live rock later when I have built the aquascape.
Old 07/29/2007, 06:23 AM
Registered Member

Arnar, where did you get the Base Rock from?
Old 07/29/2007, 06:51 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RRodrigues
Arnar, where did you get the Base Rock from?
I got them from Marc at http://marcorocks.com/
Old 07/29/2007, 09:09 AM
I am a super nose picker

nice stuff.This tank will look great once its all setup.The fish will have so much room to swim.Its nice to have so much space the corals can get so large just like in the ocean.Are you going to buy small frags or are you buying large corals to start off with(whats large in a 2000 gal tank)Will you add mostly sps or a mixture of all types corals
Old 07/29/2007, 11:29 AM
clownfish fan

wow marco rocks shipped all the way to iceland must be nice to be able to write off that expense.

my grandfather used to salmon fish in iceland and the shipping for all the fish back was not cheap.
Old 07/30/2007, 12:50 PM
g0t fIsH

will you saved a spot in the display for swimming when your aquascaping is done the rocks looks great, very large shelf pc's. this has got to be fun putting this project together.
(red house for 600gal)
Old 07/30/2007, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

Great Thread! absolutely beautiful tank.

I use Marco Rocks as well. Since you will be aquascaping and then adding live rock for "seeding" be prepared for the smell. I absolutely love my Marco Rocks becuase of size,shape, porosity, price but the first 2 weeks I cured in my garage with a skimmer and the smell was very strong. Not sure if you want to consider curing outside your offices for couple of weeks prior.....
Old 08/02/2007, 03:58 PM
Premium Member

Just a minor update but I got a call last night from New York telling me that my rocks had arrived and they were planing on sending them over to Iceland today. So I might be getting them tomorrow

Another thing I was thinking about was the cycling of the base rock. I have about 1500 pounds of dry rock and I was originally going to cycle it in the big tank but it might foul badly so I might have to replace most of the water afterwards which is quite expensive. So I was wondering if I should try to cram the rocks into a smaller container and cycle it there first to get rid of the worst stuff and then move it to the big tank.

What do you guys think ?
Old 08/02/2007, 04:15 PM
Registered Member

Sounds reasonable or even a few Rubbermaid sump type containers run in series? I agree it would be horrible to contaminate the main tank