Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/29/2005, 09:12 AM
Registered Member

Hi there! Need advice please!!!!!!!!!!

I am new to the hobby but have been researching, reading, researching, reading and talking to the guys at my local salt shop for months and months now...almost a year.

I have been waiting to put a tank in as I will be adding an addition to the house and will be able to have a "fish" room off the back of my family room (where the tank will go). Construction begins in a few months.

My goal has been to research and do it right when I start and not cut any corners.

My question is: Which is a better... an in-wall tank or one that sits on a cabinet in the room? I could do either with the setup and configuration I am planning. What are the pros and cons of each? Or, is it personal preference?

To me the cabinet variety seems more pleasing as you can look into the sides of the tank. Does that make much of a difference or not? However, I will have an added expense of the nice cabinet.

I am thinking though that the in-wall system may make it easier to work with from the rear though...which could be huge.

I will be putting in either a 220 or 240 gallon system.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to many happy years here on RC!!!

Darron
Old 11/29/2005, 09:18 AM
Registered Member

IMO it is all personal prefrence. however i like the in the wall if you can have a fish room right beneith do to you can do your maintnance much easier yet you can do alot more equipment due to more space then just a cabnet, which is why most will plump their tank to their basement. sounds like your off to a great start keep us posted. and also

[welcome]
Old 11/29/2005, 09:44 AM
TRC Leader

If I had the space, I would do an inwall with a fish room. If you have any pumps that make noise, they will all be there own room. Make a mess, it's in it's own room. Get the picture! Just be sure you can access the tank.

-Ken

MASLAC member
Old 11/29/2005, 09:54 AM
RC Mod

My choice would be for inwall with cabinet doors above the front of the tank for access. It's a little extra work to make the doors light and sound proof but worth the effort imo.
Old 11/29/2005, 09:59 AM
Registered Member

Location: East of the Mississippi, north of the mason dixon line
In-wall with two viewable panels, front (obviously) and one short side. The door to the right of the tank leads to a full bathroom with bifold doors behind the tank to allow complete access to the equipment:

And a shot a little more matured:

Russ