Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/29/2007, 04:37 PM
Premium Member

Just got back from a week's vacation... what did I missed?

Trip went great and got back to a healthy tank. What did I missed?
Old 11/29/2007, 04:53 PM
Registered Member

Well, the Mod-Gods came through and closed a couple of good threads. The OT crew resurrected some really old threads in tribute of PITW, and Sharky's has closed their local store. Those were the threads getting much of the attention. There are plenty of others to sift through in your spare time.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 11/29/2007, 05:01 PM
Premium Member

will browse them tomorrom, a bit tired now. I'm shocked about Sharky's, great store and they put in lots of work on getting setup, sorry they had to close.
Old 11/29/2007, 05:02 PM
Registered Member

I'm New Don't forget about me everyone
Old 11/29/2007, 05:34 PM
Productive Procrastinator

We have a new member as well! I guess you already figured that out though.
--t-l-f--
---d-y---
Old 11/30/2007, 03:00 AM
RC Staff
American

Quote:
Originally posted by JPagliai
Well, the Mod-Gods came through and closed a couple of good threads.

I take offense to that. If you so dislike the people that provide this FREE resource for you to use, why don't you just go elsewhere?
BTW... Strike one.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved

at the same level of thinking we were at when we

created them." Albert Einstein

I'm pretty sure it's Mike's fault.....
Old 11/30/2007, 05:38 AM
Registered Member

Ok. Have it your way, O B3llg3r3nt one . I won't hang around where I'm not wanted.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Last edited by JPagliai; 11/30/2007 at 06:34 AM.
Old 11/30/2007, 08:30 AM
Any rare SPS for sale?

Quote:
I take offense to that. If you so dislike the people that provide this FREE resource for you to use, why don't you just go elsewhere?
Free resource? I know your not talking about RC in general because that is not free there is advertising on it. Pretty much the concept of the web in general.

If your talking about your time being free that is your choice. No one here made you be a mod on RC for free.

I am sorry but watching you power trip over Jpagliai saying they did not like the fact a couple threads closed is BS.

People are never going to like big brother. If you can't deal with that then your doing the wrong free job. Go put on a santa suit and ring a bell out in front of a supermarket or something.

Ted
Old 11/30/2007, 09:13 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by canar
Free resource? I know your not talking about RC in general because that is not free there is advertising on it. Pretty much the concept of the web in general.

If your talking about your time being free that is your choice. No one here made you be a mod on RC for free.

I am sorry but watching you power trip over Jpagliai saying they did not like the fact a couple threads closed is BS.

People are never going to like big brother. If you can't deal with that then your doing the wrong free job. Go put on a santa suit and ring a bell out in front of a supermarket or something.

Ted
That.................was.......................Awesome!!!!

Some mods are on a frickin power trip on RC. Way to say what many have been thinking.

Just because they say you can't do it doesn't mean you can't prove them wrong.
Old 11/30/2007, 09:20 AM
Any rare SPS for sale?

Most the Mods I have met on here have been great.

This was BS though..
Old 11/30/2007, 09:48 AM
Guardian of Little People

I looked through 8 pages of threads and only found a couple that were closed, and it appeared the ones that were closed were due to violations of the commercial policy. It appears you have a very active club forum here, which is appreciated. You must understand, however, that with that volume of threads and posts, there will invariably be times that a member (or two or ten) will report a post that they feel is a violation of the User Agreement. As a forum moderator, it is Larry's obligation to act on those to the best of his ability. I think anyone would admit that if they do a job they are asked to do, and in return they are called "mod gods" and "on a power trip", you might have a tendency to get your feathers ruffled.

We certainly understand that sometimes a "far away" moderator may not understand the personal relationships in a local forum, and the moderating may seem heavy-handed to those more familiar with the local culture. However, it doesn't work for "local" moderators to moderator "local forums". It is one thing to irritate someone 1,000 miles away. It is quite another to do so to groups of people you might have daily interraction with (and thus might take sides, whether consciously or not).

Oh, and any thread that resurrects PITW was doomed to failure and a bad idea at best. The stories I could tell........

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant
Old 11/30/2007, 09:49 AM
Registered Member

RickyB where did you go?
Old 11/30/2007, 09:56 AM
Any rare SPS for sale?

Briand

I am not disputing the closed threads were done for a valid reason. The strike in this thread is the issue here.
Old 11/30/2007, 09:59 AM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

Quote:
Originally posted by DgenR8
BTW... Strike one.
Wow! It doesnt take much to upset you. Here in the CMAS forum we are used to the word-savoy ways of mhurley, BrianD, beerguy etc...
Thank you very much for allowing us to use your free forum, we will be good now! We promise.

------------------------------------------------
If you work on a lobster boat, sneaking up behind someone and pinching him is probably a joke that gets old real fast
Old 11/30/2007, 10:14 AM
Guakamolian Nemesis

Quote:
Originally posted by canar
You are right. RC is not free to me as I have to work by dealing with people that cannot do something as simple as following the rules. It is not free to my family as I have to spend time away from them here again, dealing with people.

IT IS FREE TO YOU!!!! As you do not have to pay for it. You may have donated money but that was "your choice" and nobody forced you (to quote you).

Quote:
Yes, that is correct. Nobody forced me to be a volunteer. Nobody forced me to try to help people in the hobby. Because of that very thing, it does not give anybody there right to call us names and insult us.

Nobody is forcing you to stay here. If you don't like the way we work here (on this privately owned forum that is giving you FREE access - YOU dont have to pay for it) then find another place.

Quote:

People are never going to like big brother. If you can't deal with that then your doing the wrong free job.
So Jpagliai can insult us and call us names but if we react defensively as any other human being would act if insulted we are on a power trip... don't make me laugh!!!!

Quote:

Go put on a santa suit and ring a bell out in front of a supermarket or something.

Ted
That comment just earned YOU a strike one. Did you really need to make that comment. Was anything constructive going to come out of that comment except to spite us???? We do not ban people, people ban themselves by making inappropriate comments that have no place here at RC.

Regards,

Carlos

"Only a fool wants to hear the echo of his own voice."
Old 11/30/2007, 10:18 AM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

Why not close the thread so something bad doesnt happen?

------------------------------------------------
If you work on a lobster boat, sneaking up behind someone and pinching him is probably a joke that gets old real fast
Old 11/30/2007, 10:19 AM
Moved In

Quote:
Originally posted by Engine 7
Wow! It doesnt take much to upset you. Here in the CMAS forum we are used to the word-savoy ways of mhurley, BrianD, beerguy etc...
Thank you very much for allowing us to use your free forum, we will be good now! We promise.
Well it was meant as an insult. When fairly new members come on and call us names, what should we do? Sometimes those word savy posts don't get any better reception than just a plain blunt response.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 11/30/2007, 10:24 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Carlos
You are right. RC is not free to me as I have to work by dealing with people that cannot do something as simple as following the rules. It is not free to my family as I have to spend time away from them here again, dealing with people.

IT IS FREE TO YOU!!!! As you do not have to pay for it. You may have donated money but that was "your choice" and nobody forced you (to quote you).

Yes, that is correct. Nobody forced me to be a volunteer. Nobody forced me to try to help people in the hobby. Because of that very thing, it does not give anybody there right to call us names and insult us.

Nobody is forcing you to stay here. If you don't like the way we work here (on this privately owned forum that is giving you FREE access - YOU dont have to pay for it) then find another place.

So Jpagliai can insult us and call us names but if we react defensively as any other human being would act if insulted we are on a power trip... don't make me laugh!!!!

That comment just earned YOU a strike one. Did you really need to make that comment. Was anything constructive going to come out of that comment except to spite us???? We do not ban people, people ban themselves by making inappropriate comments that have no place here at RC.

Regards,

Carlos
From the sounds of this response, it seems that you may feel burdened with the task that YOU volunteered for and are unhappy that you have to do it.
Old 11/30/2007, 10:31 AM
Guakamolian Nemesis

Quote:
Originally posted by Poppy828
From the sounds of this response, it seems that you may feel burdened with the task that YOU volunteered for and are unhappy that you have to do it.
WRONG!!!

RC does not burden me. For the most part, I really really enjoy what I do. 99% of the folks here are fantastic and we all have a great time. We have civil discussions and good exchange of information.

Then, AS WITH ANY JOB, there is the 1% of people that feel that they are entitled to something and cannot follow the rules. Those are the people that we hate dealing with but have no choice but to do so.

So, my question to you is: Do you like your job? Do you have a small part of your job that you hate doing? Because of that small part of your job that you hate doing, do you then hate your job as a whole?

So your comment is completely WRONG!

Old 11/30/2007, 10:44 AM
Registered Member

I don't see telling someone that an opinion of something they observed is wrong. Is that being professional and in keeping with the highest standards of Reef Central? I think not.

You made it a point to state that you were not happy about the time away from family. I see that as indicating the burden you have with this volunteered job.

To answer your question about my profession.....I enjoy every aspect of my job to be 100% honest with you. Do I have customers that are a PITA....of course. DO I let that ruin my day and outlook on other customers and then take that frustration out on the next customer. NO.

Some people handle pressure and stressful situations better than others I guess.
Old 11/30/2007, 10:50 AM
Registered Member

NO SOUP FOR YOU...come back one year!!!!
Old 11/30/2007, 10:57 AM
Registered Member

All this because DgenR8 was a little too sensitive to the "mod-god" comment?

Give me a break. DgenR8 overreacted with the "why don't you just go elsewhere - strike one" response. A moderator should have a little thinker skin.

Let’s move on….

Rickyb, See what you started! :-)
Old 11/30/2007, 11:02 AM
Guakamolian Nemesis

You guys don't see the bigger picture here.

There are over 172 thousand people here. You know that not all of them follow the rules.

Say 1% of them does not follow the rules and need to be dealt with. That is 1726 people that we have to deal with.

That is:

1726 people that think they own the board
1726 people that make spiteful comments
1726 people that call us names when the rules apply to them

So forgive us if we are a little short but when you have to deal with this BS every day, any human being can become a bit short, no matter how much one loves the job!!!

Old 11/30/2007, 11:03 AM
Guakamolian Nemesis

Quote:
Originally posted by nathan rux
NO SOUP FOR YOU...come back one year!!!!
13 posts and already taking part of such threads!!!!

Keep it up and your stay here will be a very short one!!!

Carlos

Old 11/30/2007, 11:04 AM
Guakamolian Nemesis

Break the rules = you have to deal with us
Call us names = you have to deal with us

Follow the rules = you wont know we exists
Go about your business and help others = you wont know we exists

Thread closed.