Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Middle Tennessee Reef Club (MTRC)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/08/2008, 10:11 AM
Ryan Steagall

Some intersting Zoanthid forum threads - vit C and KMNO3

I don't know how many here read stuff over in the zoanthid forum, but there are a couple of threads that are interesting.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1252294
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1230650

The first one is dealing with dosing Vitamin C to increase health. Not to knock the proponents of this regimen too much, but almost any zoa problem people are posting are being hijacked/re-directed to read the Vitamin C thread. I'm curious if anyone in our club is doing this or has thought about it? With the frag swap coming up, I thought this would be something good to discuss within the club. Please discuss.

The second link is calling Potassium Permanganate (KMNO3) the nudi killer. I'm wondering if this should be come part of or one of the steps we use when dipping our zoas. Has anyone ever used this method?

-Ryan
Old 01/08/2008, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

Potassium permanganate is a very strong oxidizer, and that's probably why its so effective at killing the nudis. Also, most people run low in potassium in their tanks and don't even know it. Don't remember enough chemistry to comment on what the permanganate ion would do long-term, though.
Old 01/08/2008, 11:43 AM
Ryan Steagall

They are doing this for dips from the little bit that I read. They suggest definitely rinsing the zoas off before putting them back in the tank as it will "kill your fish".

Cee, have you ever done any Vitamin C(ee)? lol
Old 01/08/2008, 03:11 PM
Registered Member

Yes, I've added it with no noticable results positive or negative. I dose AA and vitamins to my main tank and have done that off and on for a number of years. The AA really help PE on acros, etc.
Old 01/08/2008, 03:52 PM
Ryan Steagall

Dear Vitamin Cee, <-- your new nick lol.

Help a dummy. Whats AA and what other vitamins are you dosing?

-Ryan
Old 01/08/2008, 04:10 PM
#-_#-_ B _-#_-#

AA = amino acids (I believe)

Cee- What exactly do you dose and how much?

I may just have to try this vitamin C business in our nano. I've had constant issues with zoanthids in my 3 different tanks which I've never been able to explain with any of the usual suspects or cure with the usual cures. The "before" picture of the Tubs Blues in that picture is spot on what many of our colonies start to look like from time to time. Many partially recover and then recede periodically, but it's never all of the colonies at the same time and is definitely not isolated to a particular area of the tank. It also doesn't seem to be related to water quality or water changes. If I can test it out in my nano, where most or the remaining zoas are, then there won't be much to lose if it does yield some disastrous consequences.

"I want to be like captain kirk
get up every day and love to go to work
don't want to be like mr. spock
want to kick out the jams and rock the block"

-Bob Schneider
Old 01/08/2008, 04:22 PM
Ryan Steagall

If you try the vitamin C business, make sure you read that thread well and definitely start slow/low doses. In some other thread a guy started on the vitamin C regimen and put waaaaay too much in for his volume of water to begin with.

I may start doing the same thing as soon as I bring

I hope some more of our resident club gurus hop in on this and give us their thoughts.
Old 01/08/2008, 06:03 PM
Registered Member

I used to dose the Zeo amino acids (AA), but found the Microbe-Lift product to be good also. It contains Vitamins A, the B complex, C, E, H, and K plus 25 AAs. When I dosed Vitamin C, I would just drop 500 mg tablets into the overflow. Since it is water soluable, they would dissolve in about 20 minutes.
Old 01/11/2008, 04:43 PM
Ryan Steagall

Appears like this topic shouldn't be anything new:

http://www.livingreefs.com/forums/sa...vitamin-c.html

I also read somewhere that its been called the "poor man's ozone" because it increases skimmate by like 3x.
Old 01/11/2008, 10:47 PM
Ryan Steagall

FYI for a FAQ

http://www.athiel.com/lib2/pguide/vitami1.html