Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/24/2007, 08:00 PM
Premium Member

4" fan recommendation

Are there any 4" fans available that are quieter and move more air than icecap variable speed fans?
Old 11/24/2007, 08:25 PM
Premium Member

Google.

12 volt or 120 volt, there are plenty if you do a google search.

Having a high post count doesn't necessarily show intelligence or knowledge, it simply shows you just talk a lot. - Me
Old 11/25/2007, 04:08 AM
Registered Member

I am in the same boat. Google search what? 4" fan? There will tons. Any specific recommendations from the people on RC with hands on experience?
Old 11/25/2007, 07:15 AM
Premium Member

Sounds like your using "top of the line" already. Would a 3" work? They are quieter.
Old 11/25/2007, 08:52 AM
Generic Member

The IC 4" fan is actually 4.75" since it is a 120MM fan. Take a look here:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article695-page1.html
I am getting 4 nexus 92mm fans to replace the Panaflos that I use now which I find too noisy. I ordered them from here:
http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/...Case_Fans.html
92mm fans are not as common as 80 or 120mm, but fit my canopy.

Last edited by sjm817; 11/25/2007 at 09:10 AM.
Old 11/25/2007, 09:33 AM
Premium Member

Vantec Stealths are very quiet. You can do multiple of them to get good flow across things. You can hook several up to a single DC adapter, and if you get a variable voltage DC adapter you can vary the speed of the fans. I run 3 stealths and at 12V they are quiet, and 9V they are completely silent.
Old 11/25/2007, 09:45 AM
I'll be here all week

Radio Shack carries 4" 120v A/C brushless fans that are very quiet. I've been running 3 on my tank for almost 2 years.
Old 11/26/2007, 02:37 AM
Registered Member

Cahm, is this the fan you are using?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?
parentPage=search&summary=summary&cp=&productId=2102823&accessories=accessories&kw=4+fan&techSpecs=techSpecs&currentTab=summary&custRatings=custRatings&sr=1&features=features&origkw=4%22+fan&support=support&tab=features

How does it wire up? D/C = direct current. I am used to just attaching a black and white, maybe a ground wire (to a cord with a three pronged plug) and plugging into the wall. Same deal here? Since it's D/C I could use a dimmer to control the speed or am I off here?
Old 11/26/2007, 02:39 AM
Registered Member

link didn't work. At Radioshack, Model: 273-238
Old 11/26/2007, 04:38 PM
I'll be here all week

Quote:
Originally posted by IPT
Cahm, is this the fan you are using?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?
parentPage=search&summary=summary&cp=&productId=2102823&accessories=accessories&kw=4+fan&techSpecs=techSpecs&currentTab=summary&custRatings=custRatings&sr=1&features=features&origkw=4%22+fan&support=support&tab=features

How does it wire up? D/C = direct current. I am used to just attaching a black and white, maybe a ground wire (to a cord with a three pronged plug) and plugging into the wall. Same deal here? Since it's D/C I could use a dimmer to control the speed or am I off here?
Yep, that looks like its the same one. It is A/C current, so buy a normal everyday electircal cord & plug, attach the two wires to the fan and plug the fan into your controller & thats it.
Old 11/26/2007, 09:33 PM
Team RC Member

I have had numerous comments on how quiet my Vantec Stealth 120mm fans are. I use two of them on variable voltage power supplies so I can slow them down even more in winter so they aredead silent. They are like $12 at newegg.com and power supplies can be had at Wal Mart or about anywhere for $5-$10. A single 500 mA power supply will run 3 Stealths no problem.
Old 11/27/2007, 03:24 AM
Registered Member

AZ - can you elaborate on the Walmart power supply thing? 500mA? Is this a battery, a converter, or what? How is it wired to the fan?Would the 120mm fan fit in the opening I have now for my 4" fan?
Old 11/27/2007, 08:00 AM
Team RC Member

The power supplies are the things you plug into a wall outlet and plug your cell phone or other DC device into to charge. Some people call them wall warts. At Radio Shack they are kind of expensive starting at like $15 and up. I haveseen them at Frys Electronics in the variable voltage variety for between $6 and $50 or so. I would post a link to the ones I have from Harbor Freight but they are not listed on their website anymore.

Here is an example from a different thread:
http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi...E_OUTPUT_.html

DC fans have a 4 wire plug with 3 wires in them. You only need the red and black wires, ignore the yellow wire. Cut the plug off, strip the red and black wires back and do the same with the power supply as it only has two wires too. Twist them together or use a crimp connector or wire nut and tape it up and you are running. 120mm fans are the standard 4" fan size used everywhere.

Last edited by AZDesertRat; 11/27/2007 at 08:23 AM.
Old 11/27/2007, 02:26 PM
Registered Member

sweet - thanks for the tutorial! I'll give it a whirl!

One more question though - are there different "wall warts"? I know I have some at home from old cell phones or chargers and what not. Will any one do or are there specifics I need to be aware of?
Old 11/27/2007, 05:54 PM
Team RC Member

DC fans will run full speed at 12 volts. I like the variable voltage type since I can slow my fans down in the winter so I don't get as much evaporation and cooling I don't need. They are also quieter when run at 9 volts or 10.5 volts as it slows them down.
As long as the watts or milliamps of the fans do not exceed the output of the power supply you are fine. Any power supply from probably 6 volts DC up to 15 volts DC and above 300 mA or so should be fine, 6 volts will runs pretty slow and 12-15 volts will run full speed.
Old 12/01/2007, 02:38 PM
Generic Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sjm817
The IC 4" fan is actually 4.75" since it is a 120MM fan. Take a look here:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article695-page1.html
I am getting 4 nexus 92mm fans to replace the Panaflos that I use now which I find too noisy. I ordered them from here:
http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/...Case_Fans.html
92mm fans are not as common as 80 or 120mm, but fit my canopy.
Well, I got the 92mm Nexus fans and here is my review:

Nice quality and they are tailed with double connectors which makes installation of multiple fans easy. They are absolutely silent...but...they dont move much air. This is the problem with silent fans. My previous fans were Panaflo L1A's which moved some good air (43 CFM), but were far too noisy @ 12V. They were fairly quiet @ 9v, and still moved good air. To get them silent, I had to go down to 7v and then they didn't move very much.

Nexus Real Silent 92mm Case Fan Specifications
Model DF1209SL-3
Dimensions 92x92x25mm
Weight 98.5 grams
Rated Voltage 12 Volts
Operation Voltage 10.2~13.8 Volts
Input power 0.25 Amp Max 0.96 Watts
Rotation speed 1500 RPM
Acoustic noise 19.2 dB(A)
Airflow 27 CFM
Operation temperature -10 to +70 C
Storage temperature -40 to +75 C
Warranty 3 years

I was going to try the Vantec Stealth, but some reviews I saw said they were "less than stealthy". They have very similar flow and noise specs (28 CFM @ 20dBA) as the Nexus. Looks like I need to find something that moves more than 27 CFM and is stiil quiet. If anyone knows of anything in a 92mm please post the info.

Last edited by sjm817; 12/01/2007 at 02:50 PM.
Old 12/01/2007, 03:35 PM
Registered Member

bump for more suggestions, looking into the same thing!
Old 12/02/2007, 08:37 PM
Generic Member

Just an update on my fans. I'm not keeping the Nexus fans in my hood. My T5s are noticeably hotter than they were. The reason I changed the fans out to begin with was 1 of the 4 Panaflos failed after 1 year and I figured I'd try out something else. I ordered a new Panaflo L1A 92mm and will be putting them back in.
Old 12/03/2007, 12:42 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sjm817
Just an update on my fans. I'm not keeping the Nexus fans in my hood. My T5s are noticeably hotter than they were. The reason I changed the fans out to begin with was 1 of the 4 Panaflos failed after 1 year and I figured I'd try out something else. I ordered a new Panaflo L1A 92mm and will be putting them back in.
Please update us when you get them installed.
Old 12/03/2007, 12:55 PM
Generic Member

There wont really be an update. I was running 4 of the Panaflos before, but one died. I'll be replacing the bad one with the same model, and putting them back in. I'll run them @ 9V like I did previously. I'll be back to where I was. The Panaflos @ 9V move a decent amount of air, and are a bit louder than the Nexus. If I run the Panaflos @ 7v, they like the Nexus (@12V) are silent, but dont move much air.

The lesson learned is you are better off getting a higher CFM fan, and lowering the voltage if it is too noisy. If you get a low CFM silent fan, and it doesn't move enough air, you are kind of stuck.
Old 12/03/2007, 12:56 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Quietest for the airflow: Panaflo FBA12G12 series. Sure, they can move up to 117cfm and get rather noisy when doing so, but with a variable voltage adapter, you can slow them down to match any of the lower volume fans out there, and at any given speed, 2 things will still happen...

1. they will be quieter at 1000rpm than a 1000rpm vantec or whatever, because they are fluid filled bearings. The rest, with very few exceptions, are ball-bearing fans... and there is only so much you can do. The only exception to this would be the Enermax Marathon fans, which use a magnetic bearing (fan floats in a magnetic field). The marathons are very low pressure and flow though. When comparing fans, compare the air pressure ratings as well as the flow ratings.

2. they will still more more air and maintain pressure better at the same speed than other fans. The fan is 1.5" thick, while most others are 1"... so each blade at the same speed as a thinner fan is going to maintain flow and air pressure much better. A panaflo FBA12G12U at half speed will have its dB rating drop to under 20dB, yet produce more airflow than another 120mm fan at that speed.

The cool thing is too... the Panaflo can be run silent, but when and if you need the power, you can ramp them up to full speed and really move some air (117cfm for the 12U... equal to a bathroom fan) on a hot day. Even at that speed, the noise from the bearings is minimal compared to what a ball-bearing fan would be at the same speed... that electronic 'whirring' noise is from the bearings.

IF you do go with the Vantecs, dont pay for them. They are just rebadged Yate Loon fans that you can purchase OEM for $4 a pop or less.
Old 12/03/2007, 01:35 PM
Premium Member

Besides airflow and sound, another important consideration is durability in a saltwater humid environment. It is here that IceCap fans rule supreme IME. I have one blowing on my sump that is going on 5 years. Every 6 month or so I rinse and brush off the salt creep and its good to go for another 6 months.

James
Old 12/03/2007, 01:48 PM
Generic Member

Who actually make the IC fans?

Hahn, how low can that Panaflo go? Typically, you cant bring the DCV down much below 7V, maybe 5V on some fans. If you go too low, they wont start/run. I'd be concerned that a very high CFM fan may still be too loud at minimum operating voltage.
Old 12/03/2007, 05:30 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Thats a cool part actually... I can take the Panaflo 117cfm FBA12G12U model down to 4.5 volts. The 87cfm FBA12G12M model I can take down do 3v and it will still start from stop. At these low speeds, there is no sound at all... but still air (not sure how much... most likely less than 20 cfm).
Old 12/10/2007, 02:12 PM
Registered Member

bump! any more updates or advice from anybody? im thinking about adding 4 fans to my 150 gallon canopy just dont know which ones to go with....any pictures of the fans installed would be great too. thanks a lot.