Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/08/2008, 10:35 PM
Registered Member

Question Strange Mag 7 pump behavior

Hi all,

I have a Mag 7 pump which I use as the main return from my sump to the display tank. I have been using this pump for the past 8 months and it has been great. Recently (over the past 2 weeks) a strange phenomenon has been occurring. Every day or two, the pump gets progressively weaker to the point that the water level in the sump goes up a few inches. If I disconnect and reconnect the pump to the power supply (even if for a second only ) the pump returns to its previous performance level. I have opened the pump and cleaned the impeller (it was not very dirty) and this has not fixed the problem.

Any idea on what is causing this and how to solve it. Should I just get another pump?

Thanks for you help

Sam
Old 01/08/2008, 10:43 PM
secretary of NCPARS

i have noticed when i used mags that they do get weaker when they get older.i have changed the impellar and sometimes it returns to original power and some times it does not.especially when i used them to drive a skimmer,i would notice the decline
Old 01/08/2008, 10:58 PM
Premium Member

Your pump needs to be cleaned.

Take the 4 screws off the front plate cover, and tap on the extended facing with a small hammer or a screw driver handle to remove it. Then pull the impeller out of the pump. Remove one of the rubber endcaps from the shaft and pull it out of the length of the impeller. (Be careful not to lose any of the small washers on each side of the impeller). place all of the pieces in a glass filled with 75% white vinegar and 25% water, and let it soak for 24 hours. Fill the large opening in the pump that houses the impeller with white vinegar and let it soak overnight. After soaking all the parts, rinse them thoroughly and reassemble the pump. It will work as good as new.

What you are experiencing is very normal for a pump that has calcium deposits, and 9 months is a bit later than normal ime. If you don't clean it, it will eventually stop. From what you describe it will likely not restart if you unplug it at this point. If you clean it, it should run as good as new.
Old 01/08/2008, 11:01 PM
Registered Member

Is it normal for an old pump to decline over a period of 24-48 hours, but to bounce back if it is temporarily disconnected ?
Old 01/08/2008, 11:02 PM
secretary of NCPARS

he said he cleaned it i believe
Old 01/08/2008, 11:05 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Craig,

I just did that procedure 5 days ago and it still behaves this way.
Old 01/09/2008, 05:43 PM
Registered Member

is it run internal or external?
Old 01/09/2008, 05:48 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by montrealreef
Thanks Craig,

I just did that procedure 5 days ago and it still behaves this way.
That's surprising to me. I posted that because lots of people don't thoroughly clean the pumps. Could there be any material that has built up where the two rubber impeller encaps are in contact with the pump at the front or rear interior? It sounds as though something is rubbing that's causing this.
Old 01/09/2008, 06:09 PM
Grand High Puba

I use a mag 18 to drive my skimmer. Sometimes it gets bogged down with calcium deposits.

I run it over night in 100% vinager and it's never failed me yet.
Old 01/09/2008, 06:14 PM
Registered Member

I'm going to try to clean it again. I the mean time I think I'm going to buy another pump just in case this one fails. I don't want to be left without a return pump over the weekend.

thanks for your help!