Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/15/2007, 02:27 PM
Registered Member

Low Iron glass

I'm ordering some low iron glass for a new tank. Quote is:

QUOTE FOR 48 X 27- 3/4" THICK OPTIWHITE WITH A BELT SEAMED EDGE ( NOT
POLISHED, MAY HAVE MINOR CHIPPING*-- WE ARE ASSUMING THE EDGE WILL BE
CONCEALED) $327.11

How does that seem?
Old 12/15/2007, 03:26 PM
Premium Member

Sounds like GlassCages........
Old 12/15/2007, 04:00 PM
Registered Member

I wouldn't get it. Minor chipping seems like a way to deny a claim and could be interpreted many ways by the supplier.
Old 12/15/2007, 04:18 PM
Registered Member

This is a RI glass company. Not GlassCages.com.

Suggestions on sources of low-iron glass?
Old 12/15/2007, 04:32 PM
Registered Member

Oh, and I meant how was the price?
Old 12/15/2007, 07:41 PM
See if you can pingaso it

"Oh, and I meant how was the price?"

Why don't you call/email other places to find out
Old 12/15/2007, 07:44 PM
Premium Member

Glasscages sells Starphire sheets.
Old 12/15/2007, 07:52 PM
Premium Member

glass

Hi,

Maybe this is off the topic, but may I have a question?
I am about to put together a glass tank, the question is what do you use to clean the glass before aply the silicone?

Thanks for any info.

Lam
Old 12/16/2007, 08:14 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jman77
"Oh, and I meant how was the price?"

Why don't you call/email other places to find out
I have. This is the only place that has gotten back to me. I'm asking people here their experience. You added nothing to the conversation. Do you have any experience? Can you offer any helpful information?
Old 12/16/2007, 06:04 PM
Registered Member

haha, if they're the only place that has gotten back to you i think its up to you wether the price is right or not....
Old 12/16/2007, 06:17 PM
Registered Member

Ah, another useless response. Now I remember what I don't like about some ReefCentral members... I wonder what it is about ReefCentral that attracts people like you?
Old 12/16/2007, 06:55 PM
Registered Member

Have you tried posting your question in the DIY forum? Prolly get better responses there.
Old 12/16/2007, 06:55 PM
Always Learning

I think his point might have been that if they are the only place that has gotten back to you, how would you order from someone else? If you are not in any hurry you could shop around for some "extra" glass if you can scour it yourself.

Patience is the best remedy for every trouble.
Titus Maccius Plautus (254 BC - 184 BC), Rudens
Old 12/16/2007, 07:32 PM

Um , how about the yellowpages, google, or local clubs .... is that the answer you were looking for MR Sunshine ?

PS... you ever attend anger mgt classes ? , just curious ...
Old 12/16/2007, 07:39 PM
Registered Member

Jerk. I already have looked for sources. Found some. Submitted bit requests. Got back one bid. Posted here asking what people thought of the bid. Some people have posted dumb comments, like yours jman77. No need for anger management classes, unless you need them. I'm fine. I'm just always surprised on RC at how much useless chatter there is. You're a beautiful example.
Old 12/16/2007, 07:48 PM

How would anyone know unless someone JUST purchased a cut the same size/thickness of OPTIWHITE in YOUR area. I was just stating the obvious .. I'm sure they have yellow pages in your area, look some glass companys up and DRIVE there and request a quote. Locate some local clubs and see who they use for glass ...

How does my reply make you feel ?
Old 12/16/2007, 08:56 PM
Registered Member

dude, you are the jerk, i was actually being helpful by clueing you into the fact that you dont seem to have many options.

if you want an answer to your original post, i would say its way too much money for just one pane of glass considering my tank has slightly larger dimensions, cost less, and i didnt have to build it. if you want things above and beyond the range of most people expect to pay a premium for it. if you feel like its worth spending 330 on your front panel then go for it.
maybe no one else has responded to your bid because you came off as this much of a jerk in your requests?

also we're not your secretary, anyone who posts with ANY information on topic is doing you a favor.
Old 12/16/2007, 09:05 PM

"maybe no one else has responded to your bid because you came off as this much of a jerk in your requests"

I was thinking the same thing useska,
Old 12/17/2007, 01:52 PM
Registered Member

I just got a quote last week for a piece of 1/2" thick starphire that is 52 x 25, no polishing, $175.

The place is AA Glass in Bloomfield, CT. (860) 243-3440. It happen to be right down the street from where I work!

I think people don't realize that not every glass shop carries or will order starphire or opti-white glass. You can run up quite a phone bill calling every shop in the northeast, haha.

The only good suggestion I have seen here it to try local clubs. We have the CT Area Reef society here in CT, and of course there is the Boston Reef Society...try here for more forums.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/fo...s=&forumid=534
Old 12/17/2007, 01:53 PM
Registered Member

Re: glass

As I understand, Acetone is what you want.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lam Ly
Hi,

Maybe this is off the topic, but may I have a question?
I am about to put together a glass tank, the question is what do you use to clean the glass before aply the silicone?

Thanks for any info.

Lam
Old 12/17/2007, 02:24 PM
Psuedo Member

I just ordered a 90g RR tank 48"x18"x25" with starfire and its 400 delivered to a dropspot. so 330 for just the sheet is expensive but my glass is 1/2" thick not 3/4" which in my opinion is a bit overkill.

I would think that a starfire sheet your size should be no more than 125.00-150.00

oh and by the way, check your attitude at the home page please. no need to be a jerk because you we'rent getting the responses you wanted.
Old 12/17/2007, 03:43 PM
Registered Member

Arent these forums used for learning? I dont think highlands was being a jerk until someone started being a smartass. I am only commenting on here because this wasnt the first post I have read that one of these particular people was being a smartass. Seems like thats the only reason he posts on here.
Old 12/17/2007, 04:10 PM
Registered Member

Don't forget, tank manufacturers order glass in bulk...they get a much better deal than we do!

I for got to mention, I also priced the same size glass from glass cages, they quoted me $150 for the glass, and $40 to deliver it to the drop location in White plains, NY....so the glass itself was less expensive, but with shipping, and the fact that I still have to drive a good distance to go get it, makes this an easy decision for me.

Lets all just take a step back here. We all get frustrated at time. There are alot of people who are too lazy to find things for themselves and just want the easy way out. How many times to people ask the same question on RC...over and over and over...if our standard response became, "hey buddy, just look around, you'll find a hundred threads on the subject" RC would likely loose a lot of visitors.

And on the other hand, there are a lot of people who have looked and looked and looked, and can't find the info they need, because its an old thread, or they were looking in the wrong forum, etc. So they comes to an open forum like this to get help. And if the standard response became "hey buddy, just look around..." well...you see where I am going with this....

So highlands response was a little rough, Jman77 didnt really offer up any useful help...
Old 12/17/2007, 04:39 PM
Registered Member

I concur.