Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/30/2006, 01:40 PM
Registered Member

Reef safe angel

Ok,
I am looking for experienced advice. I have a 150 with about 4 tangs(all very docile). A copperbanded butterfly, couple clowns. For corals I have large toadstool, yellow figi, lots of frilly mushrooms, some hard corals, pink birds nest, moni cap., tons of zoas, yellow star polyps, misc. mushrooms. So my question is, what kind of angel would not eat any or much of these corals? I would like a flame, or regal, or emperor. Please give any advice on successful reef angels.
Thanks,
Bill
Old 09/30/2006, 03:47 PM
Keeping It Real

Out of the Angels you listed, the Flame would be your best bet... But, I would also hesitate to put an angel in with 4 tangs even though the flame angel is rather aggressive and should hold its own... What types of tangs do you have???

Its not a hobby... Its a way of life...
Old 09/30/2006, 03:50 PM
Registered Member

yellows, naso, and powder blue
Old 10/03/2006, 07:45 AM
Microreefologist

There really are no genuinely reef-safe angels. I spent 4 hours removing all the rock to get a flame out of my 90. Nipped at all of my sps. Just keep that in mind with your 150. If you "have" to have an angel, look at the genicanthus genus (swallow tail, watanabe, etc). Beautiful fish that are considered mainly herbivores and reef safe.

Genesis 1:21
Old 10/03/2006, 09:33 AM
Registered Member

Thanks everyone. I have decided against an angel now because I do not want the worry and headache of my whole tank being eaten. Thanks for the input.
Bill
Old 10/03/2006, 10:17 AM
Microreefologist

Very smart!!

Old 10/03/2006, 01:13 PM
Premium Member

ackrynock- genicathus are not herbivores, but planktivores, which is what makes them safer. utm, I agree- reef tanks are always going to be be potentially at risk with an angel in the tank.

Hens4fish- Your tangs may seem docile, but I would expect they might have an issue if another herbivore were added. Powder blues are notoriously aggressive fish, so they may seem to be established, but be careful if adding a herbivore.
Old 10/03/2006, 01:34 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice. The reason I said they are docile is because when I put the copperbanded butterfly in, they didn't even notice. The tank has good garmony now, so I don't plan on diturbing it. Oh well, have to start up another tank....hehe
Old 10/03/2006, 02:51 PM
Registered Member

While no one can argue with the above opinions about keeping an angel in the reef, I would like to add my own opinion. I have kept a Regal in my reef for years and I have never seen it eat SPS, LPS or mushrooms or zoos. It does nip on xenia and I can't keep shrimp unless I'm willing to give him a gourmet meal. Got him at 2-3 inches and he's now about 7.

I also recently added a Gold Flake and will let you know when he's out of the quarantine tank. I had a gold flake years ago and he did little damage as well.

Rather have a beautiful angel in the reef and forgo the shrimp and xenia - but that's just my opinion.
Old 10/03/2006, 04:21 PM
Premium Member

I agree, angels are worth the risk...just know that there is a pretty significant risk. I've had Majestics with no issues, I have another in QT right now.

I've never heard of an angel eating shrimp, that's prett wild...

jds
Old 10/03/2006, 04:40 PM
Registered Member

probably better not having an angel. I would say a RegaL is the best out of those. I have had A regal and flame.
Old 10/03/2006, 05:58 PM
Chillin'

I don't have any experience with angels however if I were to guess why they begin to nip at corals is a lack of food. Some seem to just like coral though.

War does not determine who is right but only who is left.

Cody
Old 10/03/2006, 07:49 PM
Registered Member

Wow, I am sure getting both sided arguments. I am still kind of leaning toward not having an angel, but any other success stories are appreciated. I don't mind if the angel eats the shrimp, just if it eats every coral in the tank.
Old 10/03/2006, 08:25 PM
Chillin'

I would imagine that it would help to get it eating dry and frozen foods before adding it to the aquarium that way it doesn't go for the "live food" first

War does not determine who is right but only who is left.

Cody
Old 10/04/2006, 08:59 AM
Registered Member

If you´re considering a large angel, take a look at this thread for more opinions : http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=918845
Old 10/04/2006, 10:10 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the great thread. I am now on the fence again. I am thinking about getting a smaller tank to put any coral the angel picks at.
Old 10/04/2006, 12:40 PM
Microreefologist

Quote:
Originally posted by ChinChek787
I don't have any experience with angels
That pretty much sums it up right there.

My flame was in quarantine for 4 weeks eating mysis and Rod's food just fine. He started picking on my digi the first day I added him and didn't stop. By the end of the week, all of the sps in my tank had no polyp extension all day, he had to go.

Old 10/04/2006, 01:23 PM
Registered Member

So it pretty much comes down to whether you want to risk it or not.
Old 10/04/2006, 01:29 PM
Microreefologist

Exactly. I risked it once, I won't again.

Old 10/04/2006, 01:42 PM
Premium Member

like ecknyrock said, that is exactly the point. and no one can ever predict if it will work or not. it is a true chance.
Old 10/05/2006, 11:47 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I have a 4" gold flake in my reef - a good boy he is :-). 3 months and thriving!
Old 10/05/2006, 12:39 PM
Branchy Coral Aficionado

Quote:
Originally posted by eckrynock
Exactly. I risked it once, I won't again.
Me too! I had the same problem with a bicolor and a coral beauty. I will never do it again. I now have a Swallowtail Angelfish (Genicanthus melanospilus) in quarantine and from what I have heard they are very reef safe. Only time will tell but I am sure my chances are much much better with this fish than any dwarf angel.
Old 10/05/2006, 01:23 PM
Registered Member

I´m taking my chances with a Scribbled angel (Chaetodonplus duboulayi). He´s in quarantine now.

I´m perfectly aware of the risk, but I just can´t see a reef with an angel. I also have a flame (Centropyge loriculus), for +/- 2 years now