Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/02/2008, 09:41 AM
Registered Member

Sorry but I didn't get an answer to this question.

I'm thinking about hanging this light. I would like to hang this light about 12" above the tank. Does that mean that I need to keep most of my SPS Corals/Clams no lower than 8-10" from the top of the tank with the 3Ft x 6Bulbs configuration? I saw that Grim said that T5 on this unit is only good for up to 18" deep and anything below that should only be reserved for lower light demanding corals. I have no issues with SPS being up top but my CLAM is too big to be on the rocks.
Old 01/02/2008, 01:12 PM
Registered Member

T5's are generally placed a few inches above the water, not a foot above. I imagine that a clam on the bottom could be a problem with the fixture set that high above the water. It would be an issue with some other T5 units as well. If you hang the fixture with the adjustable hanging harware, it is an easy matter to raise it when you need to get into the tank for cleaning or whatver else. Couldnt you hang it closer if the harware was easily adjustable?
Old 01/02/2008, 01:15 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

If you need the fixture 12" above the tank you need to be looking at the ATI Powermodule.

I did a check last night and with the fixture in air about 17" from the sensor the PAR was 249, with the fixture raised 6" the PAR dropped down to147. Raising the fixture 23% decreased PAR by 41%.
Old 01/02/2008, 02:21 PM
Registered Member

Thank you for the answer Grim. That's great info. I bought the Rimless tank to do open top and want to be able to see my corals from the top down. So it looks like I will need to go with MH and do at least 2 x 250MH it appears. This is a good thread, i will still be following along to learn more.
Old 01/02/2008, 03:50 PM
Premium Member

bmp
Old 01/02/2008, 04:19 PM

I also checked the output of the lamps last night. NOT HAPPY!!!!!!!

It appears the good people at Current changed lamp manufactures since my last experience with their lamps. I used an ATI Aquablue as a base because it was a known lamp with among the highest output out there. Soooooo I did a reading on it (And don't try to compare these numbers with any of the other lamp readings I've made) and got 286. The current 10K came in at 263. Not bad at all.

Problem is with the blues. I have always said they weren't too bad based on an earlier PAR reading I had done. Not no more. The current blue came in at a dismal 145. I rechecked this several times and it was right. An ATI Blue Plus came in at 234. I just happened to still have that Current blue I tested before. Way better lamp. PAR came in above the ATI but I may have moved the sensor or something so I reset everything a little differently and did the new vs old current lamp. New blue was 116, old blue was 167. The PAR for the new blue is about where an Actinic lamp would be but these are Blues, not actinic.

Mo, I am throwing the old style current blue in with a couple other lamps for you. Slap that baby in and compare it to the other blues and you will see what I mean. I didn't even do a side by side, didn't need to. It was that obvious. I'll try to get your fixture out tomorrow.
Old 01/02/2008, 05:38 PM
Registered Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
[B]I
Slap that baby in and compare it to the other blues and you will see what I mean. I didn't even do a side by side, didn't need to. It was that obvious.

The blues were one of my main dis-appointments in the fixture as well. What bulbs would you suggest replacing them with?
Old 01/02/2008, 07:19 PM

ATI Blue Plus or Giesemann Actinic Plus.

I guess its time to order in lamps for a new round of PAR tests. The wife is going to be soooo pleased
Old 01/02/2008, 09:45 PM
Registered Member

Grim thanks for your time with this. I will try the bulbs you send. I still up in the air on what tank to buy. Thinking about trying to make one with a pvc bottom like A.G.E. makes. Thanks again, Moprint
Old 01/04/2008, 05:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
I also checked the output of the lamps last night. NOT HAPPY!!!!!!!

It appears the good people at Current changed lamp manufactures since my last experience with their lamps. I used an ATI Aquablue as a base because it was a known lamp with among the highest output out there. Soooooo I did a reading on it (And don't try to compare these numbers with any of the other lamp readings I've made) and got 286. The current 10K came in at 263. Not bad at all.

Problem is with the blues. I have always said they weren't too bad based on an earlier PAR reading I had done. Not no more. The current blue came in at a dismal 145. I rechecked this several times and it was right. An ATI Blue Plus came in at 234. I just happened to still have that Current blue I tested before. Way better lamp. PAR came in above the ATI but I may have moved the sensor or something so I reset everything a little differently and did the new vs old current lamp. New blue was 116, old blue was 167. The PAR for the new blue is about where an Actinic lamp would be but these are Blues, not actinic.

Mo, I am throwing the old style current blue in with a couple other lamps for you. Slap that baby in and compare it to the other blues and you will see what I mean. I didn't even do a side by side, didn't need to. It was that obvious. I'll try to get your fixture out tomorrow.
hello grim sorry to disterb you agan ......
ok i but the ficture ext pro and i will like to change 3 or 4 lamps of the 6 for giesman ,now that we no the blue ones mmmm no to good what do you recomend to me .......i like the color 14000k

thank you verry much
Old 01/04/2008, 06:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by franco_oo
ok i but the ficture ext pro and i will like to change 3 or 4 lamps of the 6 for giesman ,now that we no the blue ones mmmm no to good what do you recomend to me .......i like the color 14000k

thank you verry much
ill be swapping out two of the current blues for an ATI blue + and a UVL super actinic. im also considering replacing two 10000Ks with one UVL 75/25 and an ATI aquablue special.
Old 01/04/2008, 06:47 PM
Registered Member

tanks but they ave just giesman
Old 01/04/2008, 08:34 PM
Registered Member

With the same mix of lamps and the fixture raised 3/4" higher the Fauna Marin did 310. ATI Sun Power did 346. A 4x39 watt Tek did 152 with 1 Aquablue, 1 Blue Plus, 1 Actinic and 1 Sun. Aquactinics unit did 194 and the ATI Powermodule was 301.

Grim, why did the aquactinics unit do so bad, I thought they were good?
Old 01/04/2008, 09:17 PM
Registered Member

I got my 72 inch fixture to day boy is it bright I can't wait to change out the blue bulbs to see how much brighter I can make it.I would say this unit is definitly worth the cash.
Old 01/04/2008, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by franco_oo

thank you verry much
Change out the blues for the Giesemann blues (Actinic Plus)

Unless you are doing a lot of SPS I would also swap out a 10K for a Giesemann Pure Actinic.
Old 01/04/2008, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kodyboy
With the same mix of lamps and the fixture raised 3/4" higher the Fauna Marin did 310. ATI Sun Power did 346. A 4x39 watt Tek did 152 with 1 Aquablue, 1 Blue Plus, 1 Actinic and 1 Sun. Aquactinics unit did 194 and the ATI Powermodule was 301.

Grim, why did the aquactinics unit do so bad, I thought they were good?
The Aquactinics did great compared to the Tek which was 154. Until the recent price increase the Aquactinics ran about half the cost of the Powermodule, the Sunpower isn't available in the US and the Fauna Marin is almost the same price as the Powermodule but not even close as far as the design of the unit. It is more of a retrofit that a finished fixture.
Old 01/05/2008, 12:02 AM
Registered Member

thanks grim I am doing a AGA 150 but it's just going to have zoo and shroom things of that nature
Old 01/08/2008, 09:08 AM
Registered Member

Just ordered the 36" Fixture for my AGA 38G (36x12x20) my plan is to swap out some of the bulbs, I also ordered German Aqua-Blue+, Midday and a Pure Actinic and will be playing with the combinations till I get something I like.
Old 01/08/2008, 11:32 PM
Registered Member

how tall are the legs for the fixture?
Old 01/09/2008, 12:29 AM
Registered Member

Guys! I bought my 48" Nova Pro with 6 bulbs for $322.70 shipped at www.petmountain.com using 5% off coupon+Shipping is free with $150 purchase + $14.95 for large item. They've got the best prices on these fixtures, even better than Drs Foster Smith.
Old 01/09/2008, 08:54 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chaungo
Guys! I bought my 48" Nova Pro with 6 bulbs for $322.70 shipped at www.petmountain.com using 5% off coupon+Shipping is free with $150 purchase + $14.95 for large item. They've got the best prices on these fixtures, even better than Drs Foster Smith.
I try to find the Nova extreme pro, but i only can find the Nova extreme can you point that out to me .
Old 01/09/2008, 09:26 AM
Premium Member

Bottom of page left hand side

http://www.petmountain.com/category/...-fixtures.html

Marty
Old 01/09/2008, 09:31 AM
Premium Member

Thank you.
Old 01/09/2008, 01:04 PM
Registered Member

I just checked that link, martinphillip. they don't show the 48" It's only the 36" and the 72". oh well, I just ordered mine about 30 minutes ago from foster and smith.
Old 01/09/2008, 02:13 PM
Registered Member

ok I did it! I just ordered mine from Petmountain.com, great price! But I did have to pay sales tax still it was the cheapest place. Ok, so now what 2 bulbs do I replace? 2 atintic or 1 of each, and what should I replace them with? local store carries Giesemann.
I have rics, yuma, zoos, green leathers and I like the bluish look. Thanks guys!