Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Saint Louis Area Saltwater Hobbyists (SLASH)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/27/2007, 06:54 PM
Registered Member

tunze ?'s

I bought a stream 6080 and a stream 6100. will this do ok in my 58? I have crushed coral as substrate i dont know how much it takes to blow this stuff around.

Also i am looking for a single controler 7091 for the 6100 if any one has one local.
tia
Old 10/27/2007, 07:21 PM
phins are on the clock

Personally, I would say the 6100 is to much for a 3 foot tank. I have the 6100 in a 4 foot tank and it pushes my sand around. It's also hard on the corals in it's path of flow.
Old 10/27/2007, 07:37 PM
Registered Member

the 6100 too much even w/ the controler? i was thinking of aiming it towards the glass and let it bounce around. Also i dont have sand i have crushed coral. i was more worried about the 6080 cause its not controlable. i was thinkin about the 6055 but they are hard to come by.
Old 10/28/2007, 06:21 AM
phins are on the clock

That's just my take on my tank. I have it somewhat aimed at the glass and it blows the sand around. I don't know if it is strong enough to move crushed coral. With a controller, you will be able to dial it down, but that kind of defeats the purpose of having all that flow.
Old 10/28/2007, 08:51 AM
Team RC Member

I haven't followed all your posts but if you are using crushed coral, I''m guessing nitrates aren't as much of a concern and you're probably doing a fowlr?? If that's the case, you don't need to worry quite as much about high flow.
Old 10/28/2007, 01:37 PM
Registered Member

actually it will be a sps tank and i have never had nitrate problems w/ crushed coral. I keep it cleaned and a good skimmer. Prune macro and i have never experienced issues. i dont like sand because of issues like "it blows all over" or "it gets on my corals" and i hated when my tank was bare bottom.
Old 10/29/2007, 07:46 PM
kz skimmer rocks

you will probally have problems with the 6080

the 6100 with the controller you should have no problems with it
Old 10/29/2007, 08:42 PM
Registered Member

thanks for the response chad thats what i was worried about. they should be here tommorrow. we will see what happens if i have problems i will sell it and get another 6100 and a multi controler.