Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/28/2006, 12:41 PM
Team RC Member

just an fyi---st helens

...had a glow last night for the first time in months. The mountain ain't done yet. Still rebuilding that dome. The air's colder up there now [had snow a week ago, that quickly melted in an autumn heat wave] so that the plume is more visible, but it's also occasionally looking like 2 plumes.

Just for those of you who enjoy geology.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 09/28/2006, 02:33 PM
Premium Member

Mount St. Helens VolcanoCam pretty cool

http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/volcanocams/msh/
without ever having felt sorry for itself.
D.H. Lawrence
Old 09/28/2006, 04:14 PM
Where's My Jell-O?

I remember it erupted once and spewed ash all the way over here and probably farther. Ash drifting from the sky on the houses, or at least everyone said that was what it was from. Don't think I was a teenager yet.

Melting!
Old 09/28/2006, 04:57 PM
Registered Member

thar she blows

There were plenty of fish in the sea, but i wasn't ready to hang up my tacklebox.
Old 09/28/2006, 05:02 PM
Registered Member

well I haven't been here when it blew but I heard it was like ash snow everywhere.
Old 09/28/2006, 05:13 PM
Premium Member

I flew from Sacramento to Anchorage shortly after the eruption. The pilot banked and turned a bit so we could get a good look. Truly awesome. We passed by to the West, it was still smoking a LOT and blowing off toward the East. The landscape for MILES around was a uniform shade of gray from all the ash. Pictures are one thing, but it's hard to describe the sight of a mountain with this massive section just blown away.
Old 09/28/2006, 09:50 PM
Team RC Member

I was on an airliner just after it blew. We were flying out of the Michigan area, and had to change planes in Wichita because our engines didn't like the dusts. [Yes, that was a GOOD idea!] Later I had to dust it off my car in Oklahoma.

Friend of mine was in Pullman WA, 300 miles downwind. The sun went dark, the streetlights came on, people wrapped up like desert nomads to get about, and mostly walked, because the stuff will kill your car. They were taking dust away in dumptrucks in Ritzville WA, which was 200 miles from the blast, and on the other side of the ridge.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.