Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/06/2007, 10:38 AM
Registered Member

Cloudy Water from One Tiny Mushroom?

I moved some live rock around in my 90 gallon tank last night, and I ended up kinda pulling one very small mushroom off the corner of a rock by bumping it against another rock. I decided to pull it off the rest of the way since I had several already in this tank and move it to my 54 gallon tank. When I pulled it off I noticed that some reddish liquid was oozing out of it's foot, I attached it to a small piece of lr with a rubber band and put it in my 54.

About 2 hours later I noticed the water in the 90 was very cloudy. Now this morning, it doesn't seem that cloudy anymore, but my 54 gallon is extremely cloudy!! Everything looks ok, even the GBTA. Params are good- at least what I had time to check before leaving for work. Nitrates are about 5-10, pH is low at 7.9, alk is 8.5, and phosphates are definitely not over .25, I didn't have time to do the full test.

The only other thing both tanks have in common was that yesterday I used top off water from an LFS instead of my home RO/DI system- they were both very low so the top off was about a gallon in the 54 and 2 gallons in the 90. I'm waiting on new filters for my RO system.

Anyway- my question is- what should I do? Can one tiny mushroom make the water that cloudy?
Old 12/06/2007, 12:42 PM
Registered Member

You could run some carbon to remove the cloudiness.
Old 12/06/2007, 01:22 PM
Registered Member

I just started running carbon in a TLF phosban reactor about 10 days ago- I guess I could change that carbon.
Old 12/06/2007, 01:32 PM
Premium Member

what is in there top off water? if they add calcuim to it, that could cause your cloud of calcuim cabonate. if you check the Mag and Cal when you get home the cal is prolly high and the mag low, the imbalance will cause the cloud. as for the carbon running it if it is this will do nothing. and carbon is usually only effective for about 48 to 72 hours then it is used up and ineffective....i know there is a big argument about this and there are people who are prolly going to say that it is good for much longer. you can find many good articls on the chem forums about this.
Old 12/06/2007, 02:40 PM
Registered Member

Thanks fatrip. The water I requested is just plain RO water- it's not SUPPOSED to have anything in it at all...

I'm not sure what happened. I will change the carbon when I get home tonight.