Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/01/2007, 01:18 PM
Premium Member

Why the algae

I recently moved my frag rack from my refugium into my rubbermaid sump.

Now there is a coating of algae covering everything and I never had any algae in the sump prior to this move. Why is this? I just bought some astrea snails for the sump/frag tank. Any other critters I should add to help control it?
Old 12/01/2007, 03:18 PM
Moved On

It could be that the light is getting old and shifting spectrum. How old is the bulb?
Old 12/01/2007, 07:30 PM
Registered Member

did you just start lighting the sump, if so then that could be causing it
Old 12/02/2007, 11:38 AM
Premium Member

I did just start lighting the sump. What would you add to the sump to keep the algae in check?
Old 12/02/2007, 12:09 PM
Registered Member

a fuge? or just wait it out, algae is only gonna grow if there is excess nutrients, hence, the brown corals
Old 12/02/2007, 05:59 PM
Registered Member

this is my opinion only and you can take it or leave it but.....the algae is a normal thing in a new system. Its really nice when you first set it up but it gets harder and harder to keep it looking that way. I started with rubbermaids inside and contiplated useing them outside . While inside I realized that the actual rubbermaid needed to be cycled first before I put corals in. Once the coraline takes hold you are over the hump. I think if you have enough patience to let the vat cycle with indirect light and let the coraline grow first before you add coral . this would limit any unwanted algae once you add lighting(slowly) and corals. I had the same issue in the gh. The vats had to cycle for at least a year before I had any success
Old 12/02/2007, 09:12 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the feedback. One thing I wanted to point out was that my system, including this rubbermaid sump, have been running for over a year. The only change made was hanging a light over the sump and adding the frag rack.
Old 12/03/2007, 09:15 AM
Registered Member

i had a very similar experience, i setup my sump with enough room for frags, was about a year before i put any in there and when i started lights on it i had an algae bloom for about 2 months. once coraline started it went away