Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers

Old 01/08/2008, 08:59 PM
Registered Member

thanks for all the tips guys. They were in very low light originally, now they are at the bottom of a 24" tank under a 250w halide. I'm going to try feeding again tonight, as I said in the frag tank I was able to feed them with no flow but they'd only extend enough to eat.

If I can't get them to open up by the end of the week I'll consider moving them to a friends tank to see if that makes any difference.

I'll try feeding again tonight and see what happens. I do see the tips of the tentacles now but not much extension. I'll have to wait for the fishes to sleep.
Old 01/08/2008, 09:36 PM
Registered Member

My dendros are in a 15 nano with t'5s. All directly under the lights. Just feed during the night with cyclops and some selcon.
Old 01/08/2008, 09:59 PM
Registered Member

I noticed some weird oyster like creature closing and opening while I was feeding the cyclopeeze. Not sure if it was eating it or what. Should I attempt to kill said creature?

I got a bit of extension. I will try again in an hour after the lights are out. Feed my fishes a little extra so hopefully they won't bother with the bits of cyclopeeze around the dendros.
Old 01/09/2008, 12:09 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Qckwzrd
Otiso how many babies have yours produced since you've had them?
None yet. It was kind of a rescue job as it had fallen behind the rocks in the guy's tank that I got it from, so it had been neglected for a while. It looks good and is growing now though. Like I said, I've haven't even had it for a month yet
Old 01/09/2008, 04:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewkw
I noticed some weird oyster like creature closing and opening while I was feeding the cyclopeeze. Not sure if it was eating it or what. Should I attempt to kill said creature?

I got a bit of extension. I will try again in an hour after the lights are out. Feed my fishes a little extra so hopefully they won't bother with the bits of cyclopeeze around the dendros.
a little creature??? a baby clam? i'd definitely investigate until you have a positive ID...the worst case is you have an irritator that is somehow affecting the dendros.....you did say they do show a limited response to feeding....at this point, anything is possible.

more so, given that the colony cost so much, i'd ID the hitch-hiker ASAP and remove it completely....maybe transfer it to some other rock.

also, try very small lumps of raw shrimp for food...my dendros, FME, react more vigorously to shrimp than cyclopeeze, surprisingly enough.

Zach
Tunze 6045 & Modded MJ900
MAG 7 return via SCWD
Zoa-dominated, LPS, SPS, 4 fish
Xenia Refugium
Old 01/09/2008, 05:07 PM
Registered Member

i have also noticed that Hermit crabs and peppermint shrimp love to use dendros as a dinner plate....
Old 01/10/2008, 01:40 AM
Registered Member

I have seen what I believe you are talking about come in on some coral rocks before. The clam (or whatever it is) looks just like a rock, until it opens up. Then in looks like a rock with 2 open halves of a clam shell on it . I'm not sure what exactly it is though, but it shouldn't be bothering your dendros.
Old 01/11/2008, 09:53 AM
Registered Member

it's getting there FINALLY, hopefully some time this weekend I can enjoy it open during the day.
Old 01/11/2008, 06:49 PM
Registered Member

I ask this question all the time, but what is everyone's growth rate with these. I have produced one smallto medium sized polyp in about the past 6 months, wow that time went by, most likely has to do with only feeding it once a week.