Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Tampa Bay Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/19/2007, 02:46 PM
Premium Member

Dowflake

Do you have it down there?

I'll be vacationing down there over the holidays and was wondering if anyone found Dowflake or Magflake down in the area?

Hoping to get ahold of some of the old stuff.
Old 12/19/2007, 03:00 PM
Premium Member

I was never able to find it down here. Ordered mine from here...
Dowflake
Old 12/19/2007, 03:15 PM
Non Paying Premium Member

Location: Los Angeles(Silverlake) & Monrovia (next to Pasadena)
you can not use Dowflake or Magflake anymore...

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1271282

Want to see my tank? click on my Red House..
Old 12/19/2007, 06:18 PM
Premium Member

I'll check tomorrow if Pinch-a-Penny (pool store) has any. They are right next to where I work, and 6 months ago they had lots of it.
Old 12/19/2007, 06:26 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bebo77
you can not use Dowflake or Magflake anymore...

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1271282
Yes I know. I'm looking for the old batch number.

Ladyfsu, do they sale it by the 50lbs bag?
Old 12/19/2007, 10:21 PM
Frag it!

With all of the pools and other uses around here I really doubt that any of the 2+yr old batches are still around. However, if anyone does find some let me know! 8-)
Old 12/20/2007, 07:53 AM
Registered Member

I thought 2partsolution.com still has the old stuff?

Don't keep track of how much money you spend on your system. You will enjoy it much more that way :-)
Old 12/20/2007, 09:35 AM
Moved Aside

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1275023]

Quote:
Originally posted by Snarkys
Recently we have been receiving a bunch of questions about the manufacturing changes at Dow and the new elevated bromide levels in their calcium chloride, we would like to address this.

The brine that Dow uses to make calcium chloride has always had these levels of bromide. Recently Dow has made the decision to stop the processing step that removes bromide from their calcium chloride. This means that any new material will contain what we believe to be unacceptable amounts of bromide and will not be using any of the new Dow material.

All of the calcium we sell was produced by Dow prior to these changes and does not contain the new elevated levels of Bromide. The change to the “food grade” material was made in 2007. We have a huge stockpile of material produced prior to the changes and there will be no shortage of availability for a very long time. In addition we have already sourced other high quality manufactures for when this runs out.

Please keep in mind that while Dow is one of the major producers here in the US they are not the only one. There are also several high quality international options. This is going to have very little impact on the aquarium industry. The main impact will be on the do it yourself aquarist looking for 50 pound sacks. Luckily most of us have no need for 50 pound sacks and couldn’t use that much in a single lifetime. Dow was the most readily available product to the consumer and it may be difficult to find a suitable replacement in the retail sector with the same wide availability. Please be aware a large portion of retail calcium chloride found in hardware and pool stores is repackaged Dow product. You may want to evaluate the risk verses reward with trying different brands , for most people the savings is a couple bucks a month.
Old 12/20/2007, 12:41 PM
Premium Member

They usually have the 50lb bags but are all out of all of it They said they don't stock it this time of year.
Old 12/20/2007, 04:33 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyfsu
They usually have the 50lb bags but are all out of all of it They said they don't stock it this time of year.
Thanks for checking.

Looks like Randy is starting to down play the effects on the increased PPMs of bromide in the new Dow. But basically no one knows.

I'm heading out the door as soon as my Kidd's get out of school. I'll check back in from time to time on my laptop.

What was the names of the placed that stocked it close to Treasure Island ?

Thanks
Dave
Old 12/29/2007, 02:22 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyfsu
Ladyfsu, I just wanted to say thank you for giving me the name of "pinch a penny".

I did call one close to where I'm staying here on Treasure Island and they had one bag left. So I rushed over there and picked it up and it even had a old lot number on it so it's safe to use for everything in my aquarium.

It's because the kindness of people like you is why I like to log onto RC and get help.

Thank you.
Dave
Old 12/29/2007, 03:15 PM
Registered Member

dave how much was it at pinch a penny? 50 LBS bag?

Don't keep track of how much money you spend on your system. You will enjoy it much more that way :-)
Old 12/29/2007, 06:38 PM
Registered Member

forgive me for asking, i'm still learning here. what do you guys use this for? i've seen numerous posts about this and have no idea what you are doing with it.
Old 12/29/2007, 07:31 PM
Membership Director/TBRC

Its used for a do-it-yourself Two-Part
Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement. Its the Calcium part.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php
Old 12/30/2007, 08:27 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rogergolf66
dave how much was it at pinch a penny? 50 LBS bag?
It was $24.99 + $1.75 tax

It was there last bag of the DowFlake. However I did see a bag of Terta Flake ( I think that's how it's spelled).

I thought that I read somewhere in the chemical forums that Terta was OK to use, But I'd double check first before using it.

The Pinch a Penny store I found it at was on 9686 Seminole Blvd.
Seminole, FL .