Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Southwest Virginia Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/12/2007, 07:56 AM
Registered Member

Hello out there!

Hello all. My name is Heather and I live in Covington VA. I just found this forum and I am so glad that I did. I am a newbie to the SW hobby. I have been researching it for the past few months and I plan on setting up a tank after Christmas.
I have some experience with FW. I have 3 tanks up and running that house mostly Tetra's, and live bearers. I used to breed Betta's but I quit for the time being.
For my first SW set up I am planning on buying a 30 gal Nano. Since the lighting and the protein skimmer and just about everything else is new to me, I thought it would be more simple for me to purchase something that has most of what I need. I would love to have atleast a 90 gallon but don't have the funds right now. I am planning on getting the Finnex 250W HQI http://www.oceanreeflections.com/default.aspx
I look forward to learning more about marine tanks as well as corals in the forum.
Old 11/12/2007, 08:15 AM
Registered Member

welcome Heather, I'm sure you will find a lot of good people who can help you out, my biggest piece of advice is go slow, read everything you can find and listen to those knowledgeable peeps here on Rc
Old 11/12/2007, 09:48 AM
Mouth Pipetting

Welcome
Old 11/12/2007, 11:49 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Doc's69
welcome Heather, I'm sure you will find a lot of good people who can help you out, my biggest piece of advice is go slow, read everything you can find and listen to those knowledgeable peeps here on Rc
I have heard that many times.. take it slow. I don't want to rush into anything and end up with a disaster. I want my first SW tank to be simple but beautiful and successful. (BTW I have never saw a SW tank that wasn't) Where I live we don't have a LFS that sells SW fish. I have visited one in Roanoke. Can anyone recommend a good LFS that has a awesome selection and isn't very pricy on live rock or sand? I have found some good deals online and just want to make sure I can find the best rock for the best price. Any specific types that you would recommend. Any tips or pointers are very much appreciated.
Also thanks for the Welcome's!
Old 11/12/2007, 12:13 PM
Premium Member

Welcome, and I am sure you will enjoy the hobby with the help of all the people in this (and other) groups. Go slow is always good advice, as many have found out (includiung myself) that while the tanks look beautiful when you start out - that can change very quickly.

As far as a good LFS - you cannot do any worse than Ultimate Aquarium in Roanoke. You will find directions in other threads here.
Old 11/12/2007, 04:33 PM
Registered Member

Yes I second the Ultimate Aquarium recomendation. They have rock too. Being new to SW I would advise on smart substrate selection. Get rock that has been cured. All that fresh stuff and the super purple look nice but can bring in parasites and unwanted creatures that can cause problems down the road. I got all my rock from UA and haven't had any issues. But that is just my .02. Also get good lighting. The HQI you mentioned above is good. Lastly, spend the extra $$ and get yourself a good RO/DI unit to make nice fresh....fresh water. Tap water adds all sorts of problems. Good luck
Old 11/12/2007, 07:06 PM
Registered Member

Heather, there is a meeting this weekend I think at Sam's home, there is a thread here, go and meet people if the logistics work out for ya. you will not be sorry.
Old 11/12/2007, 08:36 PM
Registered Member

Ultimate Aquariums is a great LFS, also when you need to get something live rock, livestock or equipment you can allways post what you are looking for. people have all kinds of stuff laying around, and people are constantly taking down systems or thinning out the corals.
Old 11/12/2007, 09:14 PM
titankinetics.com

Welcome Heather,
UA is a good store with some great prices. Like dadyoj21 said there are always people selling LR fish corals and all sorts of goodies at a fraction of LFS prices.
The meet would be a great start that wouldn't cost you anything and you will come away with the info to get you started and a lot of free stuff to get you going.
Old 11/13/2007, 03:33 AM
Premium Member

To Reef Central

and the club.
Old 11/13/2007, 06:46 AM
Registered Member

Thank you all for such a warm welcome and some much needed input I will try to make it to Sam's this weekend depending on if the other half has to work or not. I'd come without him but I don't think you all would enjoy 3 kids running around lol. I will def. keep in mind about the LR, corals and such! I won't be getting my Nano until after Christmas and I will be on the hunt of LR. I plan on taking things super slow and use this as a learning experience for me and my children. I am so excited about starting a marine tank and finding all of you.
Old 11/13/2007, 07:31 AM
Nothing original for now

Quote:
Originally posted by LuvinLife
I am so excited about starting a marine tank and finding all of you.
Be more excited about the tank than us , 33.782% of the people in the club aren't that exiciting or worth finding anyway
Old 11/13/2007, 05:45 PM
Premium Member

Hey now!
Old 11/13/2007, 08:03 PM
Registered Member

LOL , that still leaves 66.218%left Chris you are in the 66% percentile- LOL
Old 11/15/2007, 05:42 PM
Nothing original for now

Quote:
Originally posted by REEFY1
LOL , that still leaves 66.218%left Chris you are in the 66% percentile- LOL
Geeee, what people won't do for a discount