Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Upstate Reef Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/16/2006, 01:42 PM
I have no catchy title

March 23 MOST tank meeting

Hi everyone,

As many of you know, a few of us in Syracuse are involved in a project that will place a 750 gallon reef tank in the Museum of Science and Technology. We're having a meeting next Thursday, March 23, at 3:30 p.m.

It's very important that anyone who thinks they may be interested in helping with this project attend this meeting. This is a fun but very ambitious undertaking and we really, really need more hands on deck.

For awhile this project was up in the air, but I'm confident it's going forward now. The tank is built (8 feet long, five feet deep, 30 inches tall) and is set to be delivered in less than a week. The stand is about 80 percent done. The museum is incorporating an area in a new, permanent cave-style exhibit for the tank.

The email from the MOST is pasted below:

"Friends of the Coral Reef Project:

Larry and I would be delighted to host an informational meeting at the MOST for all participants next week. The best dates and times at this point are Wednesday between 10 AM and 5 PM, Thursday noon - 5 PM, and Friday morning 9 AM - noon.

We look forward to meeting the new folks on the team. Both Larry and I have been engaged over that past month learning more on Coral Reefs, their maintenance, associated costs, and educational components. Toward that end, MOST staff have visited two public sites (The Rosemond Gifford Zoo, and the Seneca Park Zoo), and have had detailed discussions with their staff responsible for maintaining these aquaria and associated animals. To make the best decisions for the MOST, it is important that we are well educated on the program, the necessary allocated resources, and expected (and projected) costs. The outcome is without question - the best looking Coral Reef Tank in Central New York State.

Just as one waits to see Coral growth, patience is required -- as is a healthy environment for the Coral and the MOST.

The agenda will include introductions, project timing, educational programming, anticipated partners, and an evaluation of risks. It is our belief that this will only be successful if it is a community project, and receives support from the greater CNY community.

We look forward to meeting all interested folks and discussing the project. PWP

Peter W. Plumley
Exhibits Project Manager
Milton J. Rubenstein Museum of Science & Technology"

Thanks everyone!
Old 03/16/2006, 03:11 PM
Registered Member

Ill be with you in spirit..... but wont be able to get out of work at that time..
Old 03/16/2006, 04:07 PM
Registered Member

I will be attending. Where within the MOST will the meeting be? Should I be ready to work afterwards? I would really like to contribute, but I'm only available Wednesday-Friday. I work Sunday night-Wednesday morning. But, I'm only 15 minutes from Armory Square and am familiar with the area .
Old 03/17/2006, 09:51 AM
I have no catchy title

St. James -- thanks for responding. I understand about the work thing, definitely keep us in mind and I'll keep you posted on progress.

eclectikitty -- The meeting will be in the upstairs offices of the MOST. Just tell them at the desk that you're there for the meeting and they'll send someone down. We probably won't be working afterwards.

Your availability sounds fine, we have been getting together on Friday evenings to work occasionally and that is a good time for me. We all have limited availability and appreciate anyone who's interested in donating time. See you there!
Old 03/17/2006, 09:56 AM
Premium Member

hey Guys sorry I can't help out due to travel time but when you are up and running I would like to donate some coral & or fish to the display.
Old 03/20/2006, 10:04 AM
I have no catchy title

Great, thanks Gary! I wouldn't expect you to drive four hours or whatever for this.
Old 03/20/2006, 04:36 PM
Registered Member

Where is the MOST located in Syracuse?
Old 03/21/2006, 03:12 PM
I have no catchy title

Ralph, it's downtown in Armory Square. Here are directions:

Directions:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From I-690 Eastbound & Westbound:

Take Exit 11 (West Street Exit).
Then take a left at the stop light (Fayette St.).
At the second stop light on Fayette, take a right (Franklin St.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From I-81 Northbound:
Take I-690 Westbound.
Immediately after getting onto I-690, take Exit 11 (West Street Exit).
Then take a left at the stop light (Fayette St.).
At the second stop light on Fayette, take a right (Franklin St.)

From I-81 Southbound:

Take Exit 20, (Franklin Street Exit). Museum is located at the end of Franklin Street.
Old 03/21/2006, 07:29 PM
Registered Member

MOST

Fritz,
I am going to try to make it.
joe A
Old 03/22/2006, 12:44 PM
Registered Member

bump

bump
Old 03/22/2006, 03:45 PM
Registered Member

Fritz, When is the actual date and time for this meeting?
Old 03/22/2006, 03:47 PM
Registered Member

Sorry, I just read it again. Thursday the 23 at 3:30.
Old 03/28/2006, 08:20 AM
I have no catchy title

Thanks to everyone who came to this meeting. We've learned that the MOST is behind this project 100% which is good, but also that it won't be completed until December.

Also the tank has arrived.
Old 03/28/2006, 08:53 AM
Shh... We're fishing.

Cool cool, azra told me all about it when she got home.
When's the next one?
Any thoughts on contacting wegmans for some funds? -They helped do that dog park @ Onondaga lake... which, isn't that expensive but for the community anyway.
Old 03/28/2006, 04:11 PM
Bang

I'd imagine Wegmans is already a contributer to the MOST, which means we can't really hit them up for more. Lots of local companies already give so it makes fundraising a bit tricky.
Old 03/28/2006, 04:20 PM
Shh... We're fishing.

Alright, next meetin' ?
Old 03/29/2006, 06:56 PM
Registered Member

Hey guys,

I have started a thread on large tanks forum regarding circulation for this tank. I have also sent a email to most of you guys. Stephany if you want me to add you to the email list you can send me your email or just reply to the one I sent Azra.

For anyone intersted we are using www.oregonreef.com for a rough outline for our project. Anyones input is much appreciated. Our next meeting will most likely be in a few weeks once we have hammered out a plan via email and all we need to do is sit down and finish the details.

Court let me know if you dont get the email I sent. I have had problems with your email for some reason.

Mike
Old 04/04/2006, 02:11 PM
Shh... We're fishing.

This is the thread in the Large Tank forum that was started.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=812831

I'm not sure about those penductors, I emailed Tippy for more information/links/advice. =)
Old 12/23/2006, 11:47 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Quote:
Originally posted by Flanders
Thanks to everyone who came to this meeting. We've learned that the MOST is behind this project 100% which is good, but also that it won't be completed until December.

Also the tank has arrived.
It's now December. Flanders hasn't posted since this thread in March. Is he OK? What happened?
Old 12/24/2006, 07:15 PM
Bang

Nothing happened.

Gotta love bureaucracy!
Old 12/27/2006, 12:20 PM
Shh... We're fishing.

We had a couple emails that Peter from the MOST wanted to contact us to figure out the signs for the tank... and were trying to set up a time. Everyone emailed their times in..... ?
Old 12/27/2006, 05:15 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Did the project stall.. or is it still in progress?
Old 12/28/2006, 11:52 AM
Shh... We're fishing.

Project stalled. Lack of funding. I never was able to get my hands on a concrete list of things that we needed, that was decided by some of the earlier members. And I have no experience in such a large tank....
A RC sponsor rejected us but in my opinion, it's best to ask for product, instead of money... thus bringing me back to needing that list of equipment..

I think the MOST are still going ahead and planning the larger environment room however..... which is I think why they wanted input on "signage"...

From what I understand the aquarium will be in a room sampling multiple biotypes. A coral reef being one example.