Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Upstate Reef Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/03/2006, 11:12 AM
m0delgator

FS: Complete, running 125 reef

For various reasons, I'm taking an extended break from the hobby. I'm going to be moving at least twice within the next year or two and I don't really have the desire to cart a large tank back and forth across the state. In addition, being on the road all the time for work has been making it very tough to maintain this thing properly anyways. When I am home, I'd rather be playing with my daughter than doing water changes! She loves staring at fish, so I'm probably going to set up a 10 or 20g FW tank in the meantime. We're moving to get ready for building our own home within the near future, and at that point I'll probably get back in to reefs.

So, my tank is up for sale. I'd like to offer it as a complete, operating package - I'm not interested in parting it out right now, I'd much rather see it go to a dedicated individual.

The tank was designed to be a "room divider" with one end up against a wall. Of course, It could be run in any configuration with a bit of effort. This is the main reason why I went with hang-on overflows, there aren't any pre-manufactured tanks with overflows in the "end."

Some details:

Equipment:

-five foot 125g tank (taller and deeper than a standard 6' 125g)
-home-made stand and hood
-pair of hang-on overflows with stockman standpipes
-Approx. 100 lbs of home-made live rock
-30g sump partitioned into two compartments
-return pump
-ASM G3 skimmer
-pair of 400w halides: magnetic ballasts, spider reflectors, XM bulbs
-100 gph RO/DI unit with two DI stages, pressure tank, misc. extra parts
-DIY auto-topoff fed from RO/DI with DIY kalk reactor
-All plumbing, wiring, etc
-Misc. powerheads, etc for flow in the tank
-Test kits, food, nets, power strips, hydrometer, full 160g bucket of Reef Crystals salt, extra parts, etc
-Absolutely everything else you need to maintain and run this tank

Fish:
-Sailfin tang
-pair of false percs
-single (female) cinnamon clown
-lawnmower blenny

Inverts:
-Large bright green hydno with a pair of x-mas tree worms (weird & rare!)
-Large mint green branching frogspawn (one of my first corals, grows like mad and frags well)
-Large colony of waving-hand polyps
-medium colony of blue coral (it's kind of drab and not literally blue on the outside) with a x-mas tree worm
-2 small colonies of cool zoos (one is the "fire and ice" blue and red zoo, the other is a mix of bright green and orange)
-quick-growing frag of a more common frogspawn
-half a dozen or so SPS frags
-half a dozen or so softy and zoo frags
-two or three interesting LPS frags
-Large green carpet anenome
-several green bulb tip anenomes (I had one HUUUGE one, it split into at least three - two medium and one tiny - a few days ago. The cinnamon hosts in these.)
-yellowish brittle star
-the usual compliment of snails, hermit crabs, etc

I've added livestock slowly, from trusted sources, and have never had pest problems, so it's a pretty clean tank from that perspective. The lack of maintenance is showing right now, as there are little spots of coralline on the glass and some of the frags aren't in perfect health (the fish and colonies are all thriving.)

I have three bulbs for the halide rigs - two 20kk and one 15kk. All three bulbs have about 3 months on them (I rotated a bunch to find the mix I liked, right now there's a 20kk at one end and a 15kk and the other.) If the buyer is keenly interested in flourescent supplementation for the halides, I have a ballast and endcaps that could power a pair of VHO's - it would be a DIY project for the buyer to set it up though.

This tank is almost exactly 6 months old. Most of the livestock came from my previous 55g, and some of the equipment did too. Major equipment, like the skimmer, RO/DI, and lights were purchased brand new when the tank went up, so all that stuff is in nearly new shape.

The stand is a lag-bolted 4x4 frame with particle board wainscotting and molding. The very bottom of the stand is 2x4 and 3/8 ply. The canopy is a 2x2 frame with matching finish materials. Both are painted off-white ("almond" is the name of the color, I think) and waterproofed on the inside. The stand is sealed with silicone to contain leaks, and there's a little lip around the base of the tank to set small tools or things on when you're working in the tank. I'm not the best carpenter in the world, and as such, some of the molding and other details on the stand are less than professional quality. The canopy is open-topped and has two fans on a timer.

The RO/DI and lighting ballasts are in my basement, so there's plenty of slack in the wiring and plumbing to accomidate remote setups - or you could locate those items in the stand or elsewhere.

I'd like to get $700 for the complete setup. Considering that the nearly new lights, skimmer, and RO/DI would retail for something close to that, I think it's a pretty good deal. If you're local, I'll help you move and set it up. I'm about half an hour outside of Syracuse. If you're not in the immediate area, I'll try to help but can't make any promises.

I won't be checking here often so serious parties should reach me at my work address: nwenders at stearnswheler dot com.

I'll try to dig up some photos, as I think only one of you (Fritz) has seen it in person. I'm an awful photographer though, so anyone interested is definiltey welcome to come see it in person.
Old 01/03/2006, 11:18 AM
m0delgator

Here are some photos. They're not new ones I took for this add, but rather photos I took over time to record specific things on the tank.

View from end:

Inside hood: (showing the currently disabled powerhead rotator, it vibrated a bit and made an annoying noise so I unplugged it.)

My cat checking things out:

Another of the end, looking from the side:

Parts for the kalkreaktor:

A really small RCSD I made. It was too small to make any sort of difference at all, so it didn't stay in the tank:

The hydno, showing the worms:

The whole thing, immediately after initial setup (the stand in front of it is from my old 55, for perspective):

Old 01/03/2006, 12:55 PM
Registered Member

wow thats a steal if I ever saw one. If I had a house I would have bought this in a hartbeat. Good luck!!
Old 01/03/2006, 01:02 PM
Registered Member

Sorry to lose you, even for a little while. If you decide to part out, I'd be interested in some corals.

Carrie
Old 01/03/2006, 01:07 PM
Registered Member

pm'd... interested.
Old 01/03/2006, 03:26 PM
I have no catchy title

Bump for a great deal. As Nate said, I have seen this tank in person. The stand and hood are really nice. Wish I had the $ and space!
Old 01/03/2006, 04:09 PM
Premium Member

pm'd u very interested.
filly
Old 01/03/2006, 04:52 PM
m0delgator

Thanks to all the interested parties. I have a list of people depending on the order you contacted me.

One additional note - there's a powder blue tang in some of the photos. Sadly, he perished a few months ago when I overflowed the sump with RO water and caused salinity to plummet.
Old 01/03/2006, 06:42 PM
Premium Member

tank

I'm interested in some of your livestock if you decide to part out. I'm just in Tully , also maybe the skimmer. Mainly interested in the zoo's and hard corals. RickM
Old 01/03/2006, 08:13 PM
Let's see those ta-ta's!

I'm definately interested in the green carpet if you'll seperate. Letr me know I'm not too fara way.
Old 01/04/2006, 10:07 AM
Ferret Maximus

wow what a deal! and wow you are leaving the hobby! i know this must be hard for you - good luck in finding a home for that beauty
p.s. that molding on the hood is very cool!
Old 01/04/2006, 04:33 PM
m0delgator

The rig is tentatively sold. I'll let people know if it becomes available again.

Thanks everyone!
Old 01/04/2006, 09:11 PM
Have A Great Day! :)

Does the cat come with the tank???? Too cute!

Jamie