Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/15/2005, 12:39 PM
NaCL-H20 REEFER EXPERT

Thumbs up

Man you have3 really thought this thur. looking really good from this end ...wel done love the rock work . i wount change it any

mike
Old 08/15/2005, 01:23 PM
Carpe Noctem

Reefboy,

Great project, I had nearly forgot about this thread. Hope you don't mind but I may be grabbing a couple of ideas from your set up to solve a couple problems I forsee having. Anyway I don't know if I skimmed over the answer earlier, but it looks as though your home is constructed silimarly to mine.... What if anything did you do to support the floor to hold the excessive weight? I've got a couple ideas going for my set up, but was currious what you did... I see that you have 2x10s and the footer right there, but how did it run with the tank, perpendicular? Or did the tank wind up right on top of it? And lastly was it enough or did you add extra support?
Old 08/15/2005, 01:32 PM
Premium Member

"golden rule"?
Old 08/15/2005, 02:00 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the comments all.

Tang_man, you can see more info on the cermanic rock here www.captiveoceans.com.

Swillydiver, I did try to follow the "golden rectangle" when designing the tank with a nearly 2:1 ratio. I also have 3 architectural viewing panes from the front and structure the rock into 3 distinct areas of interest (when viewed from the front). I also did try to skew the main focal (the pillars) to the right a bit, but I guess it's not apparent If you look at the tank the overflow takes up 8" of room on the right - so the overall rock structure is already skewed to the left when viewing the whole tank. I may move the pillars over just a bit to break the symmetry. Thanks for the feedback.

Hop, I didn't do anything to improve the foundation under the tank. I was very lucky in that the area I picked was extremely well supported. The cement footer runs parallel and directly under the tank and the 2x10 joists radiate out perendicular and half of them are doubled or tripled up. I had originally planned on framing out the tank under the house and supporting it with pier blocks - but I didn't have to.

Art

Last edited by reefboy1; 08/15/2005 at 02:16 PM.
Old 08/15/2005, 02:19 PM
Registered Member

reefboy,
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, I can only find some pics and pricing on the site. No description as to it's porosity and/or longterm reviews....

What sizes did you purchase?
Old 08/15/2005, 10:23 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reefboy1
Thanks for the comments all.

Tang_man, you can see more info on the cermanic rock here www.captiveoceans.com.
Art
Do they sell in that states and any idea on shipping costs?
Old 08/15/2005, 10:47 PM
Registered Member

Where are the zebra danios?
Old 08/15/2005, 11:45 PM
-

here is a pic of reefceramic after a while in the tank,
Old 08/16/2005, 01:44 AM
Registered Member

Old 08/16/2005, 02:27 AM
Registered Member

Seems you got it all figured out Reefboy1, its nice to know that you got the dynamics of aquascaping right. With your setup, depth and texture will be very refreshing. Excellent work!
Old 08/16/2005, 06:29 AM
10 & Over Club

PITSTOP: genetically enahanced glow in the dark saltwater danios... that would be great under the actinics.
Old 08/16/2005, 09:32 AM
Premium Member

They do sell it in the states, but as I purchased mine locally I don't know the shipping cost.

My personal opinion (after seeing these things in person) is that they are definitely worth the additional cost over live rock if you are trying to get a specific look or focal point in your tank. I particularly like the square backwall pieces for a rectangular tank.
Old 08/16/2005, 04:54 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
They do sell it in the states, but as I purchased mine locally I don't know the shipping cost.

My personal opinion (after seeing these things in person) is that they are definitely worth the additional cost over live rock if you are trying to get a specific look or focal point in your tank. I particularly like the square backwall pieces for a rectangular tank.
Is www.captiveoceans.com in CA?
Old 08/16/2005, 09:48 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RedEyeReef
Is www.captiveoceans.com in CA?
Yes, they are. There are other online vendors that sell the Reef Ceramics though.

Art
Old 08/16/2005, 09:50 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tang_man_montreal
reefboy,
What sizes did you purchase?
I have the 24", 20" and 18" pillars. I wish they had the Reef Islands when I was there as I most likely would have bought one of those as well.

Art
Old 08/17/2005, 09:44 AM
Premium Member

One cool thing I just noticed last night while sitting in my normal spot at the dinner table was that from that angle the backdrop for my new tank is my existing 215gal mixed reef. The water is now so clear that the 215gal almost looks like it's part of the 375gal tank. It really adds depth (if you use your imagination just a bit).

I took a couple of pics although they really don't show how nice they look:

When designing this tank, one of the main considerations was the view from the dinner table (my family eats dinner together everday) - but this is really a nice added bonus

Art
Old 08/17/2005, 10:09 AM
Proud father!

Looking really good! Are you keeping the 215 running as well? It'd sure look like you're "under the sea" with those 2 big tanks in one area!
Old 08/17/2005, 10:11 AM
Carpe Noctem

Looking fantastic! The color and clearity is amazing!
Old 08/17/2005, 11:32 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tgunn
Looking really good! Are you keeping the 215 running as well? It'd sure look like you're "under the sea" with those 2 big tanks in one area!
Yes, I do plan to keep the 215gal running. It's now my wifes tank and athough I do all the maintenance and stuff she has complete control over aquascaping and any livestock that goes into the tank. Mostly softies/LPS/Clams (she's basically anti-SPS).

Art
Old 08/17/2005, 11:45 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
(she's basically anti-SPS).

Art [/B]

Looking Awesome Art!

-greg-
Old 08/19/2005, 01:22 AM
Registered Member

Art that looks very cool, congrats on a great job well done, Jeff
Old 08/19/2005, 02:27 PM
Premium Member

Thanks Jeff - You'll have to come by and have a look. You can bring that monster gigas as a tank-warming gift

Art
Old 08/22/2005, 10:48 AM
Premium Member

Took a pic of the sump this weekend - it still needs a bit of cleaning up.

You can see the big Grotech 300 skimmer behind the undersized Zeovit reactor. On the wall behind them is the Schuran JetStream 1 Calc Reactor and above them is the Neptune Aquacontroller II.

I also put a few more SPS frags in a few days ago and they seem to be doing well. I'll probably add the first fish this week...

Art
Old 08/22/2005, 10:53 AM
Moved On

what fish do you have in there?
Old 08/22/2005, 11:56 AM
Premium Member

None right now. But I'm looking at a couple of Crosshatched Triggers as the first ones...

Art