Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/11/2007, 05:28 PM
Girls Rule!

Thanks No, not for now. Did some updates and stuff I'll post updates in a minute.
Old 05/11/2007, 05:42 PM
May God save us from Ich

I saw that you have a GFI extension cord, FYI replace your wall outlet with a true GFI you will be safer.
Old 05/11/2007, 05:59 PM
Girls Rule!

Thanks. That's on the list to do soon. It's not an extension cord, it's just an outlet that I plug things into, but I agree it's not as good as the real thing. I don't have any idea how to do that though so I'm at the mercy of outside help
Old 05/11/2007, 06:43 PM
Girls Rule!

Friday Update! Day 33!

Well today was another big day for the tank. Our new MH lighting system showed up from ReefGeek. Everything was packaged really well and showed up in perfect condition.

We spent the day working on the light system. A problem we have been having is coral bleaching due to shallow tank depth and how strong the 150w bulbs are. THANK GOD we didn't go with the 250's.

To combat this we placed all of the corals on the sand bed and it was fixing the problem. However, with the new fixtures, they would only be a few inches over the water and there is no way that would work right now.

So what we did was make a pvc hanging system over the canopy so we can hang the lights from it for now and gradually lower the lights every week or so. The goal would be to remove the pvc eventually and replace the top back on the canopy. For now though this works

We also placed an order with Live Aquaria and got that today too. More on that in a bit. It was really hot today and running back and forth to Lowes and unpacking supplies got really tiring!

Unloading the supplies for the new light system. The car is messy bc of my dogs shedding.

What's wrong with this photo? 1. You know where my bf's mind is at! 2. I'm carrying all of the supplies! 3. We so need to weed our walkway!
Old 05/11/2007, 06:45 PM
Girls Rule!

Here is a photo of the supplies that ReefGeek shipped us.

Ice Cap electronic 150w ballasts.

Plugs and wires.

Reef Optix III.

Everything ready to be wired together.
Old 05/11/2007, 06:50 PM
clownfish fan

is your middle name wilson?
do your neighbors ask for advice over the back fence?
Old 05/11/2007, 06:50 PM
Girls Rule!

I'll post some photos of the pvc system in a little bit I got to run out and grab dinner real fast.
Old 05/11/2007, 06:51 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by GSMguy
My middle name is Spoiled. No, my neighbors scare me I don't talk to them!
Old 05/11/2007, 06:56 PM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Originally posted by NanoGurl
My middle name is Spoiled. No, my neighbors scare me I don't talk to them!
lol

i have REEF OPTIX3 as well those things will have double the output of your old pendants
Old 05/11/2007, 08:18 PM
Premium Member

I decided on Solaris LED for my 90g. Did you consider it?
Old 05/11/2007, 08:38 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
lol

i have REEF OPTIX3 as well those things will have double the output of your old pendants
Good choice! Yea, they are pretty bright. I like them though. Do yours make any noise like a humming or anything? How did you hang yours?
Old 05/11/2007, 08:39 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by Pirate@40
I decided on Solaris LED for my 90g. Did you consider it?
Yea, I looked at them and they looked very cool. For the price though I was concerned about all of the complaints and it being a "first generation" system. I'm really in love with the thought of using them eventually though.

You have to update us on how you like it! So cool.
Old 05/11/2007, 09:12 PM
Girls Rule!

Lighting Update!

Okay, well here is what we came up with to hang our lights for now. The plan will be to lower the lights every week an inch or so until the corals can hopefully adjust to the strong light. This is def one drawback to a 75 vs a 90.

The kit is made from regular pvc 1" pipe. We just used T's and elbows to connect everything together. It's very sturdy, but still needs to be adjusted.

I bought some black spray paint that bonds to plastic to make it look nicer. I bought some black chain as well. For now this is just to see how it worked out today. So far so good.

Parts we used to make the kit.

Base system put together. We still need to turn the pieces a bit, but it was actually level.

Reef Optix III fixtures hung.

Set in place on top of canopy.

Lights on.

Full tank view.

If this works out well I will fix the cords and everything to clean it up. Also, the corals in the above photo are just laying around to help with the bleaching. I'm going to see how they react for a day or so then start placing them accordingly. We had/have to move around some rock due to my eel.
Old 05/11/2007, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

Where do you buy egg crate? Or do we call it light diffuser? Great thread!
Old 05/11/2007, 09:21 PM
Girls Rule!

Thanks

It's a light diffuser, we call it egg crate. You can get it in the lighting section of home depot or lowes. $10 for a 48" x 24" sheet.
Old 05/11/2007, 09:24 PM
Registered Member

Very nice NG, you and your BF have done a very good job with that tank. Your corals are really going to love those Optix3's
Old 05/11/2007, 09:58 PM
Girls Rule!

Thanks a lot I hope they do!
Old 05/11/2007, 10:46 PM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Originally posted by NanoGurl
Good choice! Yea, they are pretty bright. I like them though. Do yours make any noise like a humming or anything? How did you hang yours?

i made an even more ghetto lightstand out of 2x4s

i have aquamedic ballasts from my old pendants that i use still one of them buzzes one is silent

what will you do with your old 150w systems?

be carefull with those lps bleaching in the center of the reef optix beam they have a serious hot spot in the center.
Old 05/11/2007, 11:22 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
i made an even more ghetto lightstand out of 2x4s

i have aquamedic ballasts from my old pendants that i use still one of them buzzes one is silent

what will you do with your old 150w systems?

be carefull with those lps bleaching in the center of the reef optix beam they have a serious hot spot in the center.
lol nice.

Buzzing is annoying. I'm not sure yet, we'll probably sell the old lights or something.

Thanks for the warning
Old 05/11/2007, 11:49 PM
PRoTeCToR oF ALL ReeF ;)

Nice idea with the PVC. So the corals were bleaching? Could it be they need to be acclimated to the new lights? I'm blasting some mushrooms at the top of the tank hoping they will go away, but they dont look like they want to die
Old 05/11/2007, 11:55 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
I don't remember Wilson revealing anything worth a moment of pondering, hope you don't take it the wrong way NanoGurl, cuz you do have a very nice reef tank
Old 05/12/2007, 11:48 AM
Reef Mania

I have noticed two things though NanoGurl, your not really doing Nano's anymore, your hitting the big time now with MH and getting above the 30-40 gallon mark.

The other thing is that, your like Wilson from Home Improvement. We never really see your face in all the pictures of you working on the tank, your face is never in view.

24g Aquapod
MJ 900
Standard Pump
Standard 72w PC Lighting
Old 05/12/2007, 01:18 PM
Premium Member

"The other thing is that, your like Wilson from Home Improvement. We never really see your face in all the pictures of you working on the tank, your face is never in view."

So true, but you know why she does this ???

All of the single guys would want to steal her away from her boyfriend. They think .......Hmmm... A nice woman who looks good and is into reefing.... I'd like to go out with her

Anyhow, just joking and the tank is looking great Nano. I built a 60 gallon cube (24 x 24 x 24) and have the Solaris LED lights on them. I personally love them (especially where it simulates cloudy days, moon cycles, etc). I live in Florida so the lower power draw and especially the lower heat produced were a big deal for me.

Now that being said, I would say that they are more powerful than PCs, but less than MH.
Old 05/12/2007, 01:51 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jimmyPx
[B...So true, but you know why she does this ???

All of the single guys would want to steal her away from her boyfriend. ... [/B]
You mean they don't already?
Old 05/12/2007, 03:52 PM
Registered Member

Looking good. I have a 75g too and have considered upgrading to MH or possibly T-5's. Did you consider T-5 as an option? I see you went with the 150W - Would you recommend the same to me? What kind of bulbs do you have and do you plan on using any actinic supplementation?

And what about that Liveaquaria update........ (as if enought hasn't been posted for one day)