Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/10/2005, 02:10 AM
Registered Member

Thumbs up New aptasia control

Ive been using a threadfin butterflt or aurgia for the last six months for apatasia control they love clams and constantly pick at mantles and clam dies from sterss in heavly stocked tanks they do no damage but and i mean but ,if u have clams do not use them but have cleared visable apatasia in 3 day of introduction. I have
In my sps tank cleared aps, and they pick here and there but heavly populated so tanks with few corals you may not want to if investation is bad.But if can catch the fish after you are done then use them buy all means .And if u keep them they will take will take froze brine Mysid and other foods regularly.
Old 03/10/2005, 02:19 AM
Registered Member

Wink

Also have used in clients and my own for reference in past six months.
Old 03/12/2005, 01:42 AM
Registered Member

I have heard and read that many, if all butterflies will be somewhat distructive to corals and clams. Some just do it to a lesser degree than other. Many butterflies eat only coral polyps so I would be careful of them.