Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/07/2008, 08:52 PM
Registered Member

Dont worry too much, Im sure it wont be a big deal at all. If its totally impossible to come through the rooms which shouldnt be a problem, Id just go outside. It would be really simple to run from the electrical box with plastic conduit (or whatevers code there) buried (or not) around the base of the house and simply punch in next to the tank.
Old 01/07/2008, 09:26 PM
Registered Member

If you are looking to get a contractor to perform work get quotes in writing. Also take a look service magic in providing you electricians in your area: http://www.servicemagic.com/

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Reef_Keeper
there is no crawls space. I am calling electricians tomorrow. I dont see a way but maybe they can without trashing the whole living room. Even going around the house outside I don see how they are going to get the run to the wall I need it on
Old 01/07/2008, 09:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Pmolan
Wow.. You are one negative person.
Heh - I just calling it as I see it. I want a tank but not at the cost of making the house look like the ghetto,
Old 01/07/2008, 10:20 PM
Registered Member

I just ran a new line in my basement and I had to cut out a 6" strip halfway across the ceiling to run my line because my floor joists didn't run the way that I wanted them to. I knew a bunch of people that were remodeling their basements and got their scrap sheetrock to patch the ceiling with. My dad has done a lot of drywall so he did the mudding and taping for me. Maybe check with people you know and you'd be suprised at what people know and are willing to help you with.
hydor koralia #4 & #3
Old 01/08/2008, 07:33 AM
Registered Member

I will. But my ceiling has a texture to it. If I cut out a section for the wire then when patched that section would be smooth and not match the rest of the ceiling. Meaning the whole ceiling would need to be replaced,
Old 01/08/2008, 06:00 PM
Registered Member

What kind of texture are you talking about? Popcorn or spackeled? A textured ceiling is very easy to blend, its the untextured surfaces that are hardest. To be honest, thats why they texture surfaces in the first place.
Old 01/08/2008, 08:36 PM
Registered Member

I called a few electricians and one is coming tomorrow. One electrician wanted $85 just to show up.

The ceiling has a swirled texture to it.
Old 01/08/2008, 08:55 PM
Registered Member

go thru servicemagic.com and they will send you referrals and you can see customer reviews.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Reef_Keeper
I called a few electricians and one is coming tomorrow. One electrician wanted $85 just to show up.

The ceiling has a swirled texture to it.
Old 01/09/2008, 06:31 PM
Registered Member

One electrician came out today and confirmed what I have been saying. Its either tear the ceiling apart or go outside and around the house. He pointed out that we can even bury the conduit sine the driveway is paved up to and nest to the house where the electric panel is. So if I were to do it I would have a 1 inch pipe going around the side of the house that will look awful. I dont even have a place to hide it with bushes. So the way it looks is NO reef and maybe a FO. Only if I can be convinced a FO will look good.
Old 01/10/2008, 06:54 AM
Registered Member

How about going outside from the circuit breaker box, up under the eve and around, or for that matter go inside again across the attic and down outside the wall the tank will be against. Paint the conduit outside the color of the house or cover it with matching trim.

Another option would be to see if you could steal power from the laundry room and run it outside with it buried to the outside of the tank wall, maybe 10' is all you would have to go there.