Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/12/2006, 08:22 PM
Registered Member

help me pick a camera!

im gonna be getting a new digital camera and would like some advice on which one of these 2 you would choose..http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1134697745997 or this one.. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1138088147117
Old 08/12/2006, 09:13 PM
Eternally Discombobulated

What do you want it for? What kind of shooting will you be doing? How much do you want to spend? Do you have to buy from Best Buy? These questions should be answered before making recommendations.

Personally, though....I wouldn't go HP. Just my $.02

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 08/12/2006, 09:44 PM
Moved In

Nor would I. The photo docks I've seen are less than impressive, and expensive for prints.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 08/12/2006, 09:52 PM
Registered Member

i don't have to buy from best buy the price range im lookin at is 200-250.. as for shooting just pics of family and my tank
Old 08/12/2006, 09:53 PM
LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

That one...nope to the left

no, your other left
Old 08/13/2006, 04:48 PM
Registered Member

anything made by nikon, canon and olympus in that price range would suffice...try to stick with companies that have been making photographic equipment since the beginning...they know what they're doing

brands to avoid (for the most part): hp, casio, benQ, samsung and the lower end sonys
Old 08/13/2006, 07:00 PM
Shh... We're fishing.

This is a great site.
http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com
Old 08/14/2006, 08:56 AM

Jim....check out the Fuji FinePix S5200. A nice camera, the S5200 is a 5mp camera with a 10x optical zoom for around $236.95 over on www.bhphotovideo.com Fuji makes good, solid cameras for a nice price and the pictures from them have nice color straight from the camera. They are pretty easy to learn too. The S5200 would give you the flexibility you are looking for at a really nice price.

But most importantly, head to a local photo shop and play around with a few of the cameras. Find which one feels most comfortable in your hands (and in your budget) and go from there. Just don't forget about accessory costs. Sure the camera might be $236 but you also need a memory card, a case (if you don't have one), maybe spare batteries....you get the idea.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 08/14/2006, 09:46 AM
Registered Member

Raven check this one out.. its a little more then what i wanted to spend in stores but i think it may be the best one ive looked at yet...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEBI%3AIT&rd=1 .. thanks for all your help!
Old 08/14/2006, 09:51 AM

The Canon S2 is a VERY nice camera. There are several folks in the Photography Forum here on RC that have produced many nice shots of their corals and such from the S2. Also, that model was recently replaced by the S3.

Here is the review on www.dpreview.com

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons2is/

They give it a "highly recommended" which I've heard from S2 users is pretty accurate. As long as the condition of the camera is good or excellent I would say that you can't go wrong with the Canon S2.

Old 08/15/2006, 02:08 AM
Registered Member

i like this one. you like it?