Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/10/2004, 05:04 PM
Registered Member

Lets See Some Tanks

Lets See Your FO/FOWLR Tanks

I Don't have one yet, getting some ideas

Thanks
Old 06/10/2004, 06:57 PM
Premium Member

Location: 1477 S. Prescott Ave., Clearwater, Florida. Phone: (727) 443-6459
Look under "galleries"......you'll find photos of reef, FO and FOWLR there aplenty.
Mine are all FOWLR only.

Mike
Old 06/11/2004, 08:44 AM
Registered Member

check out my gallery.
Old 06/11/2004, 10:43 AM
Premium Member

u can check mine out if u want.
Old 06/12/2004, 01:38 AM
Zoanthid proper

dude is that a green moray i want one can they go in a 125 all by them self
Old 06/12/2004, 04:00 AM
Registered Member

gallery
Old 06/12/2004, 04:57 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by majestic sea life
dude is that a green moray i want one can they go in a 125 all by them self

Yea it is. It can go in a 125 by itself. But be warned, they are pretty aggressive and get huge. I recently gave mine away to a friend with a 220 and this Eel killed his Queen Angel by mistaking it for food during feding time. When Eels smell food (at least this one) they go into a "frenzy" and snatch anything that comes near their face. It grabbed the Queen Angel by the throat and would not let it go until it was almost dead. It died shortly after. This thing has a HUGE attitude as I am sure most Green's do, and they grow very fast. Mine was almost 3' and pretty thick and very very strong. IMO, they should be left in the sea because inevidably they will outgrow the average home aquarium and who knows what happens to these animals when people get rid of them. I should have known better.

Jeff
Old 06/12/2004, 07:18 AM
Premium Member

JDM130, it was a tough lesson, but IMO you've just joined the ranks of people who SHOULD have aquariums.
Some folks just NEVER learn that some things are just too big and powerful to keep in a house...kind of like keeping a volcano in a garage because its cool.

Mike
Old 06/12/2004, 09:14 AM
Super Bowl Champ

Quote:
Originally posted by M.Dandaneau
JDM130, it was a tough lesson, but IMO you've just joined the ranks of people who SHOULD have aquariums.
Some folks just NEVER learn that some things are just too big and powerful to keep in a house...kind of like keeping a volcano in a garage because its cool.

Mike

Volcano....LOL. Kinda like a Bumblebee grouper?
Old 06/12/2004, 09:38 AM
Premium Member

I NEVER said that.....when the time comes, we've got some GREAT grouper recipes down here!

And no, that's not being cruel or inhumane......groupers are large predators/gamefish that unscrupulous wholesalers discovered sold very well if in the size blank they put 2"......what you do with the other couple of feet later is your problem!!!!

Did you know that the American Jewfish is actually suspected as the culprit is a couple of snorkeler disappearances?
They've discovered that they get VERY territorial, particularly in places such as under piers, docks, etc. and will attack those who get too close.
They actually give warning signals when you're intruding too closely, but most Americans just think it's cute and they're being accepted as part of the world of Nature.
In a way they are......as lunch!

Mike
Old 06/12/2004, 10:28 AM
Super Bowl Champ

I think Ive posted this before, but I used to be a SCUBA instructor down in Ft.Lauderdale and would regularly encounter Jewfish. They absolutly communicate their warning signals. Attacking snorklers? Im not saying I dont believe you, but I dont believe you. At one point, half of my arm was INSIDE the mouth of a large grouper(4 plus feet), not quite a Jewfish, but all mouth and teeth. This happened while feeding fish scraps, leading a class underwater.

By the way Mike, I like mine blackened over mexican rice with Corona....
Old 06/12/2004, 10:30 AM
Registered Member

Anyone seen the show Wild Boys on MTV, the guys went snorkeling with a fish expert, and got alittle too close to some Jew Fish. Needless to say they were attacked, arm down the throat up to the shoulder, and these were relatively small fish in comparison to how big they can get.