Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/09/2004, 04:09 PM
Registered Member

tessalate eel

is it ok to feed an eel every day or every other day if not why are there any benefits to feeding this much

how often should he be fed
Old 06/09/2004, 04:10 PM
Registered Member

o by the way he is 14-16"
Old 06/09/2004, 06:15 PM
Insane Reefer

What may seem rather large is still quite small for that eel.
When mature it should reach about 6' in length.

As a juvenile it is best to feed it every other day. The diet should consist of marine fish flesh.

I read your thread requesting info on Ribbon Eels; they will not be compatible with a Tessalata.

You should only feed enough to create a slight bulge in the abdomen area.

Once it begins to mature (little over 2') you should feed only twice a week.

The feeding schedules of captive fish are strict because of the lack of hunting/exercise.
As a juvenile the metabolism is quick therefore it is alright for frequent feedings.
As an adult the metabolism is much slower and without the need to swim and hunt for food, calories are not utilized and are stored as fat.
Obese marine fish succumb to liver disease and a premature death.

Take care,
Ed
Old 06/09/2004, 08:42 PM
Registered Member

o no i wasnt considdering putting the ribbon with the tes. i am moving the tes to a 180g tank species only and then i wanted to put the ribbon in a 55 species only
Old 06/09/2004, 10:22 PM
Insane Reefer

In a 180 a Tessalata can "live" a long life, but will not thrive.
They are very powerful, and if it decides to come visit you in another room, it will.
In larger tanks where there is room to swim, most larger eels are content to remain in the tank as oppossed to checking out the house.

Ed
Old 06/09/2004, 10:28 PM
Registered Member

do you think it will do well in my 375???a tess eel that is
Old 06/09/2004, 10:42 PM
Insane Reefer

Much better than a 180. Please remember these fish reach right around 6' in length and the girth of an average man's thigh.

Weighted canopies are simply pushed aside by the power of Moray Eels.
The Tessalata is no exception.

In most public facilities that I have toured; large eels are kept in high sided tanks (way above the water line), or with locking grids of coated metal.
They are extremely beautiful creatures and are as equally dangerous.

Ed
Old 06/09/2004, 11:33 PM
Registered Member

well after hearing the stories of the eel ending up in another room that is just a chance i cant take for my childrens sake

it truly ains me to get rid of such a beautiful creature that i have become so attached to but the kids come first

i am going to be sure to line up a good home for him

but since he is leaving i absolutley must replace with something because i have a deep respect for eels they are truly a magnificient creature and it angers me when people say they are desguisting like snakes

but now for the ? are the following eels going to get as big, aggressive, and will they be able to open the hood and travel to a different room?

Fire Coral Eel
(Gymnothorax miliaris)

ribbon eel

jeweled eel

black edge moray

thanks for the help and please shoot me straight as i greatly trust the opinion of the people on this board

also would any of these be compatible if so which ones
Old 06/10/2004, 12:14 AM
Insane Reefer

The two I would most recommend would be the Ribbon (difficult to feed) or the Miliaris.

The Golden Eel is a Brazilian phase of the G. miliaris and doesn't always stay yellow/gold as it matures.

When preparing a tank for an eel it is best to place large enough diameter PVC on the bottom of the tank. Many hobbyists will use a length long enough for the entire eel (when mature) to hide within. They add a 90 or 45 degree (or both) angled joint to the ends; which will be raised from the bottom.
Cover with substrate leaving the ends upward and exposed.

Design the decor of LR ontop of this and use smaller pieces to disguise the opening. Here you will have a ready made eel tunnel that will not collapse on to the animal.

It is best to have one end open toward the front of the tank so that the eel may survey its domain. Allow the other end to open behind the rock in a more confined area.

This will give the eel a sense of security and an avenue of escape (even though it will never need it) should it feel threatend.

Eels for the most part have poor eyesight, so it will choose the opening in the front of the tank as that will provide the best look-out towards tank activity.

Ed
Old 06/10/2004, 10:42 PM
Registered Member

how big will the millaris get and what size tank will it need full grown

is the millaris compatible with the ribbon
Old 06/10/2004, 11:12 PM
Insane Reefer

They get to about 2' long and would require the 180 you first mentioned, provided there is a setup similar to what I mention above.

Good Luck,
Ed
Old 06/11/2004, 03:17 PM
Premium Member

Location: 1477 S. Prescott Ave., Clearwater, Florida. Phone: (727) 443-6459
The black edge morays are also good for medium sized tanks and can even be happy alone in a 55.

Most reach full growth at around 23", with a giant reaching 30".

There are several eels commonly sold as "black edged morays" so try and be sure which one the dealer has, if possible, but the most common are Gymnothorax saxicola, G. nigromarginatus and G. kolpos.
All of these have the same habits and adapt well, with best success achieved utilizing target feeding with a feeding stick or tongs......by feeding the animal in its lair it reduces the chances of it getting excited and snapping at everything else in the tank.

While eels have a highly developed sense of smell, their eyesight is poor, and if excited will attack anything within reach which can be fatal to other fish in the tank with surprising ease, even if too large to eat.

Mike
Old 06/11/2004, 11:05 PM
Registered Member

will miliaris, ribbons, or blackedge be able to get out of the tank and into another room and are these eels compatible with eachother

how are jeweled eels for home keeping
Old 06/12/2004, 12:04 AM
Premium Member

Location: 1477 S. Prescott Ave., Clearwater, Florida. Phone: (727) 443-6459
G. miliaris and the black-edge are almost identicle in size and habits, and are VERY closely related, sometimes occuring together in the wild...these pose no escape problem with even a moderate cover, and of course, the larger and deeper the tank, the less likely they they are to even try.
If they do, however, DO NOT pick them up with your hands.
The ribbon eels are not large enough to hurt you, even at their largest sizes.

Mike
Old 06/12/2004, 05:03 PM
Zoanthid proper

i want to get a ribbon now im seting up a 125gal with a pile of lr or on the back now i hope to get one stingray not sure on type any one no a good one and a yellow tang and a kole yellow eye tang dose that sound good or do u think a zebra moray is better