Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/11/2008, 11:23 PM
Registered Member

Question Power Compact Bulb Question

I have a 30 long and I have to buy new bulbs shortly. I currently have a 2x96W fixture on my tank. In the fixture I have a 460nm Actinic and a 10,000 K Daylight bulb. What I wanted to know is really what would be the best bulb combination for my tank.(Dual Actinic, Dual Daylight, or two 50/50 bulbs, or should I stay with what I have above) I have a variety of corals (SPS, mushrooms, leathers, etc.). Any advice would help. Thanks
Old 01/12/2008, 12:21 AM
Registered Member

The setup you have produces a nice balance right? I guess the big question is do you like it? If you go into the higher kelvins you are going to get really blue and provide less intense light for the livestock. IF you go both 50/50 then you going to lose the nightime effect you get with just running actinics. Dual daylights do look nice but sorta yellow for my taste but sps actually might prefer it this way due them normally being found in shallow waters where the hue would be more yellow.
Old 01/12/2008, 12:21 AM
Registered Member

The setup you have produces a nice balance right? I guess the big question is do you like it? If you go into the higher kelvins you are going to get really blue and provide less intense light for the livestock. IF you go both 50/50 then you going to lose the nightime effect you get with just running actinics. Dual daylights do look nice but sorta yellow for my taste but sps actually might prefer it this way due them normally being found in shallow waters where the hue would be more yellow.
Old 01/12/2008, 12:25 AM
Registered Member

Yeah, I like the deeper blue actinic(460) and the 10,000K, but I wasn't sure if the dual daylight and dual actinic would cover a bigger spectrum, which would please the corals more.
Old 01/12/2008, 12:28 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the info on the SPS. I do like to run the actinics before and after the daylights come on, so I guess that would rule out the 50/50's.