Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Richmond Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/18/2007, 12:27 PM
Registered Member

MH for nano. Advice needed

So, now that I've got a sump, fuge, media reactors, skimmer on the way, etc, I think I want MH lighting so i can keep some SPS and maybe a clam in my nano.

There are a couple of fixtures I've been looking at. There's the Sunpod, which only comes in 14K 70W configuration in their smallest unit. That unit is 16.5" across, and my nano is only 14", so I don't know if that one will even fit. It also has moon lights (I'm not usualy here after lights out, but whatever). Then there's the Viper. It's available in 70W and 150W also with a 14K bulb.

Anyone know of any other units that would fit a 12 gallon JBJ NanoCube? is 150w overkill? Would it look ridiculous with a 20K bulb over it? Tank depth is 12", just FYI.
Frogspawn
Kenya Tree (large)
Button Polyps
Xenia
GSP/PSP
Richmond Tricolor
Unknown Blue Tip Acro
Torch
Anthelia
Old 12/18/2007, 12:31 PM
Registered Member

I don't think 150w is overkill especially considering that 1) you will probably be going with a high kelvin bulb and 2) the reflectors in most of those smaller clamp on fixtures are garbage. 150w also gives you a much better range of bulb choices IMO (e.g. radium 20k, phoenix 14k, iwasaki 50k, etc.)
Old 12/18/2007, 12:31 PM
Premium Member

What about looking at some of the retro hoods or kits from someplace like Nanocustoms or whatever their name is...

Current Livestock -

Yellow Tang // ORA Clown
Flame Angel // Sailfin Blenny
Pair Cleaner Shrimp // Sexy Anemone Shrimp
T Maxima Clam // Sebae Anemone
Old 12/18/2007, 12:39 PM
Registered Member

There are some nice retro kits out there, but 1) I am going to need an open top, especially if I go with a 150, and 2) I'd like to keep the stock hood in tact in case i ever need it, or want to sell it. AND, they're not that much cheaper than just buying a fixture.
Frogspawn
Kenya Tree (large)
Button Polyps
Xenia
GSP/PSP
Richmond Tricolor
Unknown Blue Tip Acro
Torch
Anthelia
Old 12/18/2007, 01:03 PM
Mouth Pipetting

I'm also of the mindset that more is better. If you do decide to go with MH, get the 150W instead of the 70W.

Personally, I was contemplating a similar thing with my 10 gallon tank (it's 20" wide). I wanted to add a 150W and make it a mini-frag tank, but I didn't want to put much money into it. My conclusion after many months was that the 70W and 150W MH fixtures are insanely overpriced (for me). But if you don't mind spending ~$250-300 to light your nano . . . all that light would be pretty awesome!

I don't know squat about mantis shrimps, but I wouldn't think he'd appreciate all the light.
Old 12/18/2007, 01:41 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by J. Montgomery

I don't know squat about mantis shrimps, but I wouldn't think he'd appreciate all the light.

Hmm, interesting point. I'd hate to let that stop me though....
Frogspawn
Kenya Tree (large)
Button Polyps
Xenia
GSP/PSP
Richmond Tricolor
Unknown Blue Tip Acro
Torch
Anthelia
Old 12/18/2007, 01:48 PM
Mouth Pipetting

Give 'em enough sand and hiding places and he'll have to learn to adjust. Though you may not see the mantis as frequently. Maybe Alex will chime in when he sees this.
Old 12/18/2007, 01:54 PM
Registered Member

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1260562
Old 12/18/2007, 02:59 PM
I bleed orange and maroon

yeah, i wouldn't put a MH light over a tank for a mantis. they can and will develop shell disease, and die during a molt. not to mention, they probably won't even come out anymore when the light is on.

IMO......a true coral tank is not a good idea for a mantis anyways, as they'll move stuff around, break off frags for themselves etc.

if you are wanting a 150w......thats a bit overkill for a 12g tank IMO....may as well upgrade to a 20g or even a 24g tank with the same amount of light.

and like brandon said, the 70w stuff is kinda crappy, cheap wiring, terrible reflectors, and really bad bulb selection.

Richmond Reef Club

GO HOKIES!!
Old 12/18/2007, 03:09 PM
Registered Member

Well, what to do then.....

Bigger tank is not an option. I guess maybe the mantis could move to the fuge, It's on display as well, but harder to see. I'd really like to go with MH lights and have a more interesting reef. maybe the mantis will need to find a new home, but I'm kinda attached to the little guy...
Frogspawn
Kenya Tree (large)
Button Polyps
Xenia
GSP/PSP
Richmond Tricolor
Unknown Blue Tip Acro
Torch
Anthelia
Old 12/18/2007, 03:13 PM

is this your tank at work?

Richmond Reef Club

GO HOKIES!!
Old 12/18/2007, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

Yep.

I spend more time in front of it than I do the 120 at home
Frogspawn
Kenya Tree (large)
Button Polyps
Xenia
GSP/PSP
Richmond Tricolor
Unknown Blue Tip Acro
Torch
Anthelia
Old 12/18/2007, 03:18 PM
Mouth Pipetting

Quote:
Originally posted by phurst
Yep.

I spend more time in front of it than I do the 120 at home
I think it's time you seriously considered doing a 120 in-wall at work.
Old 12/18/2007, 03:21 PM

hmmm, well.......i know nanocubes are already kinda expensive for what you get. and when you put 2x more money into modding it.........it kinda defeats the purpose of buying an all-in-one tank to begin with.

JMO....but i'd keep the tank at home for coral keeping, and a simple to maintain tank at work. once you start going into sps things aren't so simplistic anymore in the maintenance area, esspecially for a small tank which can be arguably harder than a larger tank to keep stable.

another idea would to get another nanocube (like a 6g?), and don't mod this one. just toss the mantis in with a couple rocks and zoas and he'll be plenty happier in a tank with less light and come out more often.

Richmond Reef Club

GO HOKIES!!
Old 12/18/2007, 03:25 PM
Registered Member

How about a 14 gal eclipse? I just happen to have one around here somewhere....
Frogspawn
Kenya Tree (large)
Button Polyps
Xenia
GSP/PSP
Richmond Tricolor
Unknown Blue Tip Acro
Torch
Anthelia
Old 12/18/2007, 03:29 PM

14g w/ MH and mantis? (in that case its still a no for the mantis and MH).

only way i'd be comfortable with a mantis under a MH is something like a 175w 20k over a 30g cube. with a HUGE monti cap or efflo at the top blocking most of the light to the bottom.

i think it has more do with the UV light that a MH puts out which is dangerous to the mantis shrimps.

Richmond Reef Club

GO HOKIES!!
Old 12/18/2007, 03:32 PM
Registered Member

I meant I could move the mantis to the 14 gal. Maybe keep that one at home so my co-workers don't think I've completely lost it.
Frogspawn
Kenya Tree (large)
Button Polyps
Xenia
GSP/PSP
Richmond Tricolor
Unknown Blue Tip Acro
Torch
Anthelia
Old 12/18/2007, 06:02 PM
Registered Member

Hey I know I'm new, but I thought I'd add my opinion anyway.

I would say that you should only add another tank for the mantis IF you plumb it into another system that you already have. Keep in mind that even if life is going smoothly now and you have time for another nano and extra work with sps at work, it doesn't mean it will be that way for the life of all these tanks. At some point you'll probably need to choose between family and fish (say a child has to spend time in the hospital or something), and its at that point you'll wish you weren't maxed out with your fish routine. Something will be neglected and probably not your kid. Keep it simple is my new motto. At this point last year I had no fewer than 8 freshwater tanks! You already know that smaller isn't quite as much work but its still another tank you have to do water changes and tests on. If it's plumbed in, that stuff will be accomplished at the same time as your main tank with no extra work during those times that you're just squeezing "reef stuff" in between life's other worries.

JMO, and something to consider.
Old 12/18/2007, 06:48 PM
Registered Member

You're absolutely right. I was only half serious about setting up the Eclipse for the mantis. The only options are to not add a MH light (but I REEEEEEALY want to), move the mantis to the fuge, or fing him a new home.
Frogspawn
Kenya Tree (large)
Button Polyps
Xenia
GSP/PSP
Richmond Tricolor
Unknown Blue Tip Acro
Torch
Anthelia
Old 12/18/2007, 07:20 PM

from experience.....i thought having multiple coral tanks got kinda old. its nice to have a tank set up for something entirely different (i.e. the mantis).

but my psychic ability tells me that you want to show off some brightly colored corals and fancy equipment to your co-workers....

Richmond Reef Club

GO HOKIES!!
Old 12/18/2007, 07:43 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, maybe a little

I'll still have to think about it. If the mantis were actually out from time to time., maybe I wouldn't be thinking about it.
Frogspawn
Kenya Tree (large)
Button Polyps
Xenia
GSP/PSP
Richmond Tricolor
Unknown Blue Tip Acro
Torch
Anthelia
Old 12/18/2007, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by phurst
Yeah, maybe a little

I'll still have to think about it. If the mantis were actually out from time to time., maybe I wouldn't be thinking about it.
ahhhh.......so the question may be, that the way your current tank is set up.....it may not be entirely appropriate for a mantis, which makes sense since you are keeping allot of corals in there.

whats the current lighting and flow?

Richmond Reef Club

GO HOKIES!!
Old 12/18/2007, 08:37 PM
Registered Member

I have been under the impression that hiding in their little lairs is just what mantis' do and wouldn't necessarily be a sign of unhappiness.

As far as impressing coworkers, I think people who are not into reefs themselves are usually impressed with lps even more than sps. Maybe you could consider getting a bright green frogspawn in there. TBH seeing one of those is what made me think "wow I want a reef tank" in the first place.
Old 12/18/2007, 08:46 PM

depends on the species of mantis as to how active they are. also, a tank which is very *calm* helps to encourage them to come out more.

Richmond Reef Club

GO HOKIES!!
Old 12/18/2007, 10:18 PM
Registered Member

It's a Neogonodactylus curacaoensis. Per the info from Dr. Ron, they're pretty reclusive. They're evidently not all that common, as I have been having trouble finding out about their natural habitat.

Currently lights are stock DX 2 24w 50/50 bulbs. Flow is whatever the Mag 2 is pushing at 4 feet of head and 2 90 degree elbows. It's comparable, if not a little more than the MJ 600 that was in there. He comes out to eat, and maybe once a week, I'll catch him peeking out at me. The substrate is, according to Tommy, calcium reactor media.

Do you think he'd be happier in the fuge? It has about 6" of sand, some LR and only a regular NO tube over it.
Frogspawn
Kenya Tree (large)
Button Polyps
Xenia
GSP/PSP
Richmond Tricolor
Unknown Blue Tip Acro
Torch
Anthelia