Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/16/2006, 09:03 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoom
Ye the rock is about 14 years old never add any .
I use Rowa just because i was thinking i had some po4 .
My deltec rowa reactor hold 1000 Mg so started slow and when up to full charge.
After i got a new low po4 colorimeter i saw was no none po4 in that tank and alat in my 90 G FOWLR tank so no more rowa i took it out and use it on the 90g tank for now.
Yes i feed heavy two times a day always did .
I change nothing i been doing reefs for a long time this dinos is kicking my A** for sure.
I was just to busy last night with Xmas shopping and all, i did not do my nightly Kalk dose- today they are getting a hold off the reef tank so quickly they are all over the rocks already.
I'm ready to change over to fresh water fish tank
How many days before you have to clean your glass of light film?

I'm up to 9 days before a green coating starts.when i first started dealing with the dinos i was cleaning every 3-4 days.i've just noticed and kept track not sure if there related or not.
Old 12/16/2006, 09:35 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wrassie86
How many days before you have to clean your glass of light film?

I'm up to 9 days before a green coating starts.when i first started dealing with the dinos i was cleaning every 3-4 days.i've just noticed and kept track not sure if there related or not.
About 4-5 days very light green coating even with out the dinos always about the same- i do have a very heavy large fish load but always did .
Usually i have problem with cyno building up over time but after the dino got a foot hold of the tank i can not see not even one spot with cyno.
I did a experimented with dinos i got a small Live rock i let it get coated with dinos and put it in my FOWLR tank with two bulbs of T5 light hood the dinos did not last two days after the second day they die i keep the T5 on for 8 hours .
That is good indication they like the Intense MH lights .
Also they like instance water flow .
Old 12/17/2006, 04:05 AM
Registered Member

Has anyone tried Seachem's product.
Old 12/17/2006, 07:54 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TimTen
Has anyone tried Seachem's product.
Yes but nothing to kill the dinos.
I miss one more dose of kalk last night i bet they are everywhere today.
The PH stays in a good range this morning 8.05 at the pick of the lighting period last night was 8.33.
Old 12/17/2006, 12:07 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
I did a experimented with dinos i got a small Live rock i let it get coated with dinos and put it in my FOWLR tank with two bulbs of T5 light hood the dinos did not last two days after the second day they die i keep the T5 on for 8 hours .
I never had Dinos before I switched to T-5 only lighting. I had MH's before and never had any.

So I don't think it's a MH issue.

IMO the best way to get rid of 90% of them is to cut back your lighting schedule, and keep the PH up in the 8.4 range.
Old 12/17/2006, 12:43 PM
Registered Member

I've apparently got dinos, tried running high PH for over a week and they got noticeably worse

Tried lights off for 1.5 days, then 4 hours for a week, still didn't help

Now trying larger amounts of rowaphos, a filter sock (changed and cleaned daily)

The Seachem product sounds worthy of investigation, can it have an adverse affect on a stocked tank?

Regards,

Greg
Old 12/17/2006, 10:09 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by atvdave
I never had Dinos before I switched to T-5 only lighting. I had MH's before and never had any.

So I don't think it's a MH issue.

IMO the best way to get rid of 90% of them is to cut back your lighting schedule, and keep the PH up in the 8.4 range.
I don't like to cut back my lighting schedule any more the tank is full of SPS they already complaining about the PH swing that i do when i dose with the Kalk.
Old 12/23/2006, 01:18 PM
Semi Reefing Vet

you might want to read this... i posted some links there to help...

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=996804

" Charles V "
Old 12/23/2006, 01:48 PM
Registered Member

i had it starting about a week and a half ago. it was in my new 55g that was about 3 weeks old. all i did was cut the lights for 2 days and almost all of it was gone but i stated to turn them on for 1 hour a day increasing each day for an hour. it is almost gone now. all i had for a filter has a skiimer and macro. i have little flow which is not helping but his thread helped me a lot. http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...postid=6028166
Old 12/23/2006, 06:28 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by delsol650
you might want to read this... i posted some links there to help...

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=996804

I'm very much done reading any more- what you post in the other thread i have read them over many times already . Many things is differences with other peoples tanks and mine, my tank is old and most likely i do have heavy metals and many other nasty things that nothing will take out of my tank water. OTS catching up to me.
But thanks for the links.

rodd1rj
I agreed with you.....I left my lights out to my Refuge for four days and was no dinos left in there at all they was all dead in three days. But i will not do that with a tank full of SPS and clams. i start the Refuge back up again with some chaeto to get it going .....The dinos was killing the chaeto in there,
Old 12/27/2006, 01:15 PM
Premium Member

Nothing change so far Dinos still grown but not as fast the ph stays about 8.08 at dark and up to 8.32 when the lights are on . I stop using kalk after several of my SPS started to get there tips burnt up from the rapid PH swings.
I turn down my MH to 5hr a day and I keep the PC's on for 11hr.
I'm going to try the CupriSorb I order 500 Mg and some 300 micron bags to put it in to. I will put the CupriSorb in the high flow area in my sump . I may have some Heavy Metals in my tank after all the years is been running- I never use any thing to take out any Heavy Metals so we see .
Old 12/27/2006, 01:31 PM
Premium Member

I still have my PH up and have been running Cuprisorb for about 10 days now. I haven't run the MHs yet. Started with 5 hours of MH 2 days ago. No Dinos yet but too early to tell. I scrubbed them all away prior to shutting down the lights.
Old 12/27/2006, 02:08 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcurl98
I still have my PH up and have been running Cuprisorb for about 10 days now. I haven't run the MHs yet. Started with 5 hours of MH 2 days ago. No Dinos yet but too early to tell. I scrubbed them all away prior to shutting down the lights.
Matt, did you had any light on at all ? Or you left the lights off for ten day....
Old 12/27/2006, 04:06 PM
Premium Member

I had my PCs on and 4 hours on the MH. I had the back of the tank covered with a black garbage bag so no light hit the back glass and very little light hit the walls of the overflows. These are the areas my dinos start. They haven't returned to my rock since I scrubbed it long ago. Keep coming back on the glass though. I took the bag off and am running the PCs 12 hours and the MHs 5 hours. I put Cuprisorb in the sump and in front of the return line to the fuge. The fuge lights have been on 5 hours for the last week. No dinos there yet. Dinos grew in my fuge even with regular PCs. I'm hoping this all works as I'm tired of dosing so much kalk.
Old 12/27/2006, 04:38 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcurl98
I had my PCs on and 4 hours on the MH. I had the back of the tank covered with a black garbage bag so no light hit the back glass and very little light hit the walls of the overflows. These are the areas my dinos start. They haven't returned to my rock since I scrubbed it long ago. Keep coming back on the glass though. I took the bag off and am running the PCs 12 hours and the MHs 5 hours. I put Cuprisorb in the sump and in front of the return line to the fuge. The fuge lights have been on 5 hours for the last week. No dinos there yet. Dinos grew in my fuge even with regular PCs. I'm hoping this all works as I'm tired of dosing so much kalk.
To many problems with all that kalk dose , not only the corals suffer but i can not keep up with all my pumps sizing up on me .
Old 12/27/2006, 06:32 PM
Registered Member

My dinos are all but gone but now the bryopsis is coming on. Sometime it seems I just can't win.
Old 12/27/2006, 06:51 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GSerg2
My dinos are all but gone but now the bryopsis is coming on. Sometime it seems I just can't win.
I know what you mean - some time i wish i had my old FW tank back
Old 12/28/2006, 09:57 PM
Registered Member

anyone with dino use bioballs?
Old 12/28/2006, 11:09 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by plumb
anyone with dino use bioballs?
12 years old BB reef here.
Old 12/29/2006, 08:57 PM
Master of Funk

I got rid of Dinos with out reducing my photoperiod, dosing kalk, doing W/Cs, etc. I had a combination of events that happened to my tank a couple days before the dinos dissapeared. I'm not sure which thing worked better.

1) I got really busy and reduced topoff frequency, as a result my SG got up to 1.030

2) I accidentally turned off the flow to my 'fuge for almost 24 hours. As a result the temp in the 'fuge dropped to about 70 degrees. I slowly brought the temp back up to normal. I didn't lose any macro, snails, Xenia, or critters.

After the 'fuge incident the Dinos and cyano began to quickly dissapear, first in the 'fuge and then the display. WIth in 4 days there where no signs of any Dinos or Cyano. The over abundance of coralline on my glass disspeard too... it was a dream come true.
Old 12/29/2006, 09:23 PM
Premium Member

[QUOTE][i I didn't lose any macro, snails, Xenia, or critters.

[QUOTE]

If you had snails you had no Dinos -Dinos kill all my snails in one week. about 50 Very large Turbos about 100 Astaea 40 Trochus all dead in no time at all. I had some of them over five years . I just figure it out where the Dinos come from looking back on my reef log book i got some Chaeto from a reefer here in RC and after about three weeks i start seen the dinos all over. and Then all the snails start to die .
Just none stop till all of them die
Old 12/29/2006, 09:53 PM
Master of Funk

I had about 6 snails in my 'fuge and I had a couple die, but for the most part they were unaffected. My snails stick to the glass and dinos dont seem to do glass.
Old 01/04/2007, 10:08 AM
Semi Reefing Vet

but they do secret toxins in the water that will kill your inverts regardless if they are not on the glass.

" Charles V "
Old 01/04/2007, 02:31 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by delsol650
but they do secret toxins in the water that will kill your inverts regardless if they are not on the glass.
I turn off the ozone for one day to clean the skimmer and the toxins had my fish almost paralyzed.
I got the skimmer back on line and put some carbon in the sump and they are back to normal .
I think they wining the battle so far.
Old 01/19/2007, 08:30 PM
Premium Member

CupriSorb

I got me 500ml of CupriSorb from MD no one has it around here also got two bags to put the CupriSorb in there but they send me 250 micron and the CupriSorb flows right out from this bags so i had to go get me a very fine media bags from my LFS.
Any way i got two bags of the CupriSorb inside my two overflows.
I let you all know if is working or not.
The dinos still winning the battle i even have them mix in with my tumbling Cheato in my refuge