Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/05/2006, 03:07 PM
Registered Member

Zoos and Rics on a Stick

Hello all, I've been on again off again with the community, I can't have a tank because of a job "on the road" but I have very graciously purchased a tank for my girlfriend that i get to live viacariously through, and in her words I "have created a monster" in her !!

That's background, the querstion I have is about some zooanthids and ricordia that are on the same piece of rock. It's a small frag, but it's going to add a nice splash of color.

I read that the zoanthids can sting nearby corals, so I was wondering if I should try to move the rics to a safe distance? If I should, how long should I wait after they are in the system? Seems like if I do that, then the rics would be the ones to try to pull off, as the worst case is I will get them started on a new piece of rock, and still have some on the zoanthid branch.

Opinions?

Thanks alot
Old 10/05/2006, 04:00 PM
Registered Member

well , two weeks ago ive found in my tank 3 zoos under neath a ric. so the ric had actually grown on the zoos, wow, i thought so i cut two off and left one on, and lemme tell ya it still looks good, dont thing either will mind until they try and overgrow eachother, thats just my .02.
Old 10/05/2006, 04:28 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Chiclet... i was just reading your other post, i appreciate all of the information you have put in, and the video makes me want the acclimation to hurry up and finish so i can try to make more Ricordia In your experience (i've been reading up, but I'm always interested in real world) Do the ricordia or zoos do better in high or moderate flow? I purchased them today, but I am not picking them up until i go to see my tank... err.. i mean girlfriend, tomorrow night, i'm just thinking of the best placement for them.
Old 10/05/2006, 04:40 PM
RainbowAcro

My Rics/zoos grow all over eachother and don't seem to care about eachother. You should be fine. They prefer a nice gentle flow area.
Old 10/05/2006, 05:32 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Qwiv... I guess it was just one place that said they might bother each other, but i can't wait to get my own expierience with them! Actually, a question that i haven't seen too often answered:

How often, and in what manner, do ricordia, or any mushrooms really, multipy on thier own? ALmost everything i've read is just about cutting them up and tying them down
Old 10/06/2006, 02:13 AM
RainbowAcro

they split by themselves eventually. You will see them develope 2 or 3 mouths and then stretch apart.