Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum

Old 11/20/2005, 09:20 AM
a Buffer fish

Perhaps ask if you can get it replaced. Its just a door with hinges correct? You could take it back and get a new one made for free. Be aggressive!!

Fwiw, you must have paid 200$ a door I would.
Old 11/20/2005, 11:10 AM
forever newbie

Congrats on the new tank,Randy. The woodwork is really, really nice, I think it worth every penny.

On those anemones that you have, do you worry at all about them being two different species in the same tank? I could never have any other species with my H.crispa becouse the H.crispa always won in the competition. The M.doreensis that I had tried stoped eating after about a month and I had to remove it.
Anyway, good luck with everything, it's a beautiful tank and sooo clean looking.

"The rivers may flow away from us,but the rains are brought to us.With prayer that we may all live in peace."
Anthony Calfo
Old 11/21/2005, 08:43 AM
Reef Chemist

Thanks, Gene.

I'm not too worried about the anemones since they are far apart right now. I'll worry when they wander together. Did yours move much?
Old 11/21/2005, 10:35 AM
Registered Member

The blonde is called sap wood or heartwood. It runs all throughout the wood and BRI does try to cut around it as much as possible.

When mass-producers are going to make up 100+ of something, they will mix up a stain to darken down the sap wood. However, recognizing that each cabinet is a unique natural product, BRI does not try to darken these spots beyond trying to cut around most of these areas.
Old 11/21/2005, 01:10 PM
forever newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by Randy Holmes-Farley
Thanks, Gene.

I'm not too worried about the anemones since they are far apart right now. I'll worry when they wander together. Did yours move much?
Randy,

The most interesting thing to me was that H.crispa hasn't moved for at least six month prior to the LTA's introduction. I would say that it begun expanding more towards the newcomer in about two to three days, which lead to me to believe that it tried to compete with the new anemone chemically, somehow. They never touched, by the way, but the M.doreensis after opening fully for about a week started to go downhill. It accepted food for a week or so after the fact and than stopped. I trid runing carbon 24/7 but it didn't help much, so I opted to bring it back tot he store.
By the way, I am not saying that yours will do the same, I was just wondering if you had any concerns or thoughts about it.
Your rose E.quad is absolutely gorgeous and I wish my 15 or 16 clones that I have looked like that. All mine are huge with long tentacles and no bubble tips...
I forgot to mention that I gave away my H.crispa last month when I rescaped my 75 sps dominated tank, it was roughly 2' in diameter and I just managed to fit it in a 3g buckett for transportation.

"The rivers may flow away from us,but the rains are brought to us.With prayer that we may all live in peace."
Anthony Calfo
Old 11/21/2005, 03:19 PM
a Buffer fish

any updates? Whats the next thing you want to get Randy?(if you can fit anything else in there. hehe)
Old 11/21/2005, 04:49 PM
Reef Chemist

Whats the next thing you want to get Randy?(if you can fit anything else in there. hehe)

I've got to order a new Reef Filler pump as the 3 gpd model cannot keep up with the evaporation now that it is getting drier in the house. I'll probably get 7.5 gal/day.
Old 11/21/2005, 04:53 PM
Reef Chemist

I was just wondering if you had any concerns or thoughts about it.

Thanks, I appreciate the caution! The H. crispa seems to be rapidly growing as the skunk clowns are constantly feeding it.

When mass-producers are going to make up 100+ of something, they will mix up a stain to darken down the sap wood. However, recognizing that each cabinet is a unique natural product, BRI does not try to darken these spots beyond trying to cut around most of these areas.

Thanks, Dustin. It isn't a big concern.
Old 11/26/2005, 08:47 AM
a Buffer fish

Did you get the new reef-filler pump yet? You buy anything else for your tank?

Im also curious, since this is your tank thread, how much and how often are you feeding your fish/inverts?

Eportation of matter:?

Also, how much skimmate is comin out that skimmer of yours? And what kind you using?

How much macro are you throwin out, and whats the lighting?

Lets get some information on your tank

Tia box
Old 11/29/2005, 01:15 AM
Chuey and Packer

Nice tank Randy. The stand and canopy look like fine antiques.
Old 11/29/2005, 08:28 AM
Team RC Member

Old 11/29/2005, 04:46 PM
Reef Chemist

Thanks, folks.

The Reef Filler didn't arrive yet, but should soon.

I feed the fish a light breakfast and dinner (usually Prime Reef Flake) or other flakes, then a big meal (5-6 cubes of various foods) a about 8 -9pm.

I'll have to wait a bit longer to get a new macroalgae export routine established as I just expanded the refugia quite a bit, and they are not all filled up yet. I have 4 different refugia in addition to the 90 gallon reef on the system, in addition to the 120.
Old 12/03/2005, 05:46 PM
a Buffer fish

Quote:
I have 4 different refugia in addition to the 90 gallon reef on the system, in addition to the 120.
Randy, does that mean your systems are conected by plumbing ?IE: All your tanks are on the same water system? Or are your 90 and 120 on different systems?
Old 12/04/2005, 08:36 AM
Reef Chemist

Yes, all are on the same water system.

The return from the 120 goes through my 2 older refugia on the way to the sump, and the 90 return goes through the two new refugia on the way to the same sump. I have 2 Iwaki 30 RLXT pumps in series that pump the water to a T that sends some water to each tank. The skimmer is on the sump, as is a cannister filter with carbon in it.

The new Reef Filler arrived, and is now pumping away from a new 88 gallon limewater reservoir. The existing dual head 30 gpd model automatically changes out 3-5 gallons per day from another 88 gallon reservoir. And the RO/DI is filling a third 88 gallon reservoir. Each of these reservoirs consists of two 44 gallon Brute trash cans hooked together at the bottom with bulkhead connectors and pipe.
Old 12/04/2005, 12:49 PM
a Buffer fish

How much total water volume do you guess is combined?
Old 12/04/2005, 01:07 PM
Reef Chemist

Maybe 300-350 gallons.
Old 12/04/2005, 01:46 PM
Registered Member

Where the pics????? Sounds like some good plumbing going on.
Quote:
I have 2 Iwaki 30 RLXT pumps in series that pump the water to a T that sends some water to each tank.
No adverse affects having pumps in series?

In your phosphate article you said every reefer should have a phosphate removal plan. Is macro algae your only method?
Old 12/04/2005, 03:15 PM
Reef Chemist

Macroalgae and skimming are the ways that I export nitrogen and phosphorus. The DSB's may help for nitrogen, but I doubt they do much..

I don't know of any adverse effects. I've used them that way for years. It may not be optimal in terms of efficiency (although it might be as efficient, or maybe even more so than a single pump), but it is certainly cheaper than buying a new pump.
Old 12/04/2005, 03:33 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Macroalgae and skimming are the ways that I export nitrogen and phosphorus. The DSB's may help for nitrogen, but I doubt they do much..
Really, because I was just thinking about this issue and trying to decide if I should do the macroalgae or a remote dsb in a bucket.
Calfo said this in his DSB in a bucket for nitrate control
Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony Calfo
macroalgae in the sump cannot even begin to compare in potential (its inferior) in this application if typical.
So i was leaning towards doing the remote dsb for nitrates. What do you think?

I even just made a post about putting macroalgae in my external overflow.
Old 12/04/2005, 03:36 PM
Reef Chemist

Really, because I was just thinking about this issue and trying to decide if I should do the macroalgae or a remote dsb in a bucket.

I'm not claiming it can't work. IMO, it did work well before I added a lot of macroalgae. Lots of bubbles if I poke the sand and such. Now I think the macroalgae gets it and not the sand bed. No more bubbles to be seen, even if I poke into the sand. So it is an idling bed waiting for nutrients that never come.
Old 12/05/2005, 08:28 AM
a Buffer fish

Randy, how many fish per gallon? Light load or heavy load?
Old 12/05/2005, 08:35 AM
Reef Chemist

I've got:

in the 120:
2 Pseudochromis Fridmani
1 longhorn cowfish
1 male Bartlett's anthias
2 blue damsels
1 flame angel
1 yellow tang
1 yellow watchman goby
1 pair ocellaris clowns
1 pair pink skunk clowns

in the 90:
1 Pseudochromis Fridmani
1 pair tomato clowns

in a refugium
1 pair tomato clowns (maybe not a "pair" yet)
Old 12/05/2005, 12:03 PM
a Buffer fish

have your any of your tomato clowns spawned? I have some i find them to be aggressive, and territorial. They even attack my hand when i clean near their rockwork.

i never got a spawn yet.

thats not too huge a load for 350gals of water. I would add more fish
Old 12/06/2005, 03:47 PM
Reef Chemist

With most of them in the 120, I'm worried about power failures when I'm away. I have the in-tank circualtion on backup, but that might not be adequate with a higher fish load in mid summer.
Old 12/15/2005, 05:38 PM
a Buffer fish

get anything new? Any pics you can add

What do you want for x-mas. I asked for another large pump