Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum

Old 03/31/2005, 02:03 PM
Reef Chemist

Could someone please tell me which online site is cheap and best for corals, especially zoos :-)

I don't know. I'd suggest starting a new thread with that question in the main forum.

Again...I have no REAL information as to whether the ice melt material is okay. For me, the cost of the high grade was trivial, most of the cost was in shipping. Buyer/user beware.

Thanks for the info, Greg.
Old 03/31/2005, 03:46 PM
Dirty Reefer

Greg,

Who then can we contact to inquire about a bulk purchase of the "technical" good grade????

Thanks

The Last Resort, The Eagles
Old 03/31/2005, 03:53 PM
Registered Member

I am only trying to use some sense in saying this so don't take it as the word. I don't think it could be stored in a train car or in the bottom of a ship. I do believe it is bagged before it is shipped I think I read but I have seen so much it is hard to remember the exact product they were talking about. the real reason I believe this happens is that humidity plays a major role in these products ability to hold form. when hydrated these items start to melt and clump and even liquify. they bag of pellets I received is very loose and dry inside. I have not opened it yet but I can tell it is not moist. hopefully this is true but I can't say for sure. thanks for commenting greg.
Old 04/01/2005, 12:07 PM
Humble Reefkeeper

You have a point about the humidity, and I considered it before I posted that, but if you are talking about a large amount of material dumped into the hold of a ship, etc, only the top layer would be exposed to atmospheric humidity.

>Who then can we contact to inquire about a bulk purchase of the "technical" good grade?<

I have seen that RC is hyper sensitive to anything commercial being posted. So I'm going to tread extremely carefully here.....first....I have NO commerical interest in MgCl2 and I am not associated with ANY commerical entities selling MgCl2 in any way. If you want the contact info of the person I spoke with PM me anytime. As I have mentioned previously I doubt you can purchase less than a pallet at a time, but who knows.
Old 04/01/2005, 12:29 PM
Registered Member

greg go ahead and pm me with the info if you would I would like to get all the info if I could. if nothing else I can find out who they supply and someone will sell it to us. this is how I found what I found so far. distributors are more than willing to give out there customers names because they will make the money without seperate packaging.
do you think they would be willing to throw away and pay for disposing of a complete top layer of any chemical? I think the epa would be all over them making it very expensive to dispose of. I could see this happening in todays world but I hope that is not the case.
I hope there isn't anyone thinking I am associated with anyone either I am just trying to help all reef centraler's and myself of course. I only gain from my savings on the products I use. I pay the same as everyone else except for shipping of course.
Old 04/15/2005, 10:33 PM
Registered Member

well I have added only a couple tablespoons so far but it seems to be ok. nothing is dead yet at least. one table spoon seems to raise the magnesium levels approximately 75 ppm / 40 gallons. this is only what I tested in fresh ro/di water at less than 1 ppm tds according to spectrapure tester and hanna handheld tds1. I don't say its safe I just haven't had problems yet.
Old 04/16/2005, 06:31 AM
Reef Chemist

Sounds good.

This calculator should help with amounts:

http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html
Old 04/16/2005, 07:02 AM
Registered Member

yes I have been using that which is the 10:1 magnesium chloride and sulfate?
Old 04/16/2005, 07:23 AM
Reef Chemist

I'd just use the magnesium chloride hexahydrate entry. The Epsom salts are not that much different, and if it is only 10%, the error is trivial.
Old 04/16/2005, 06:58 PM
Registered Member

yeah I think I used the anhydrate or whatever it is. I didn't add what it said though.
Old 04/16/2005, 08:36 PM
Registered Member

bump
Old 04/16/2005, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

bump?
Old 04/16/2005, 10:09 PM
Premium Member

Rob,

Because my magnesium was very low I added 1,000g of that MgCl2 we bought plus 100g MgSO4 (10:1) to my 155 bowfront with a large sump.

It takes a LOT of MgCl2 to raise the Mg level. Tablespoons won't make much of a difference.

I mixed it in 3.5 liters of water and dripped away.

Everything is doing great.

Paul
Old 04/16/2005, 10:32 PM
Aptasia tastes spicey!

wow. that's a ton =)
Old 04/16/2005, 10:39 PM
Registered Member

well according to my test kit 4 table spoons will raise it about 75 ppm. that is 10:1 as you used. what it will be tommorrow I do not know. ok not sure of the magnesium conversion but 20 grams of salt = 1 tablespoon according to some site I just looked at. so you put about 55 tablespoons in your tank? does this sound close? how much did it raise your total water volume? what do you think your total water volume might be? just a guess is good enough for me. just trying to see reactions in the system. do you have sps? any polyp extension difference? I noticed my polyp extension was not as great on my acro's for a couple days after I added about 10 tablespoons at once but 10 minutes after I added it I stirred my sand really well. I am thinking I stirred something nasty from a spot I may have missed last time.
did you know I found a supplier in tampa?
Old 04/16/2005, 10:39 PM
Premium Member

Yeah - I was testing down around 900 ppm.

I use a lot of kalk and haven't done as many water changes as I should.

Regardless, it takes a LOT.

A 600g jar of Seachem raises my tank's magnesium by 75-80 ppm.

I also purchased a fresh test kit incase mine was off.

Paul
Old 04/16/2005, 10:40 PM
Registered Member

amount of ppm I meant to say in your total system oops it's late and I work too much
Old 04/16/2005, 10:43 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by robthorn
well according to my test kit 4 table spoons will raise it about 75 ppm. that is 10:1 as you used. what it will be tommorrow I do not know. ok not sure of the magnesium conversion but 20 grams of salt = 1 tablespoon according to some site I just looked at. so you put about 55 tablespoons in your tank? does this sound close? how much did it raise your total water volume? what do you think your total water volume might be? just a guess is good enough for me. just trying to see reactions in the system. do you have sps? any polyp extension difference? I noticed my polyp extension was not as great on my acro's for a couple days after I added about 10 tablespoons at once but 10 minutes after I added it I stirred my sand really well. I am thinking I stirred something nasty from a spot I may have missed last time.
did you know I found a supplier in tampa?
What size tank do you have? (Oops! Just read your sig. 180g)

I'm not sure how many tablespoons a kilogram is but it sure seems like more than 55.

Yeah, I'm glad you found a closer supplier. Is it the same brand we bought from Harvey Salt?

I added it slowly over more than a day and everything looks great (corals, clams, inverts, fish, etc.)

Paul
Old 04/16/2005, 10:44 PM
Registered Member

hey paul I just checked out the calculator and it seems like alot but that is what it says also. maybe I need another bag? lol
Old 04/16/2005, 10:47 PM
Premium Member

Edit - I was typing when it was late and got it backwards

Last edited by Lutefisk; 04/16/2005 at 11:14 PM.
Old 04/16/2005, 10:50 PM
Registered Member

same brand we are going to try to get everything we use from them. he is small and wants the business. he is close to me and cheap enough so I am all about it. I need to call him and see about the other stuff I asked him for. I did get hydrated lime from him. $25 / 50 lb bag.
tablespoons are the big ones hehehe
I have about 265 gallons or so. 180 + 65+ 40 or so in my sump I took off 20 gallons for rock and sand but I never know how to figure that stuff. it's probably more like 225 water . the 1 tablespoon was in fresh water with no load and no salt. tested it in my ro/di mixing tub. 44 gallon brute trash can minus float valve room = maybe 40 gallons. I tested it and it was 75 ppm before I added any salt.
Old 04/16/2005, 11:07 PM
Registered Member

randy said use the hexahydrate
Old 04/16/2005, 11:14 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by robthorn
randy said use the hexahydrate
Yeah - its late and I got it backwards.
Old 04/16/2005, 11:24 PM
Registered Member

ah ha I think I am going to bed later and let me know how it tests please
Old 05/09/2005, 09:50 AM
Flow Guru

I found a source for the magnesium chloride from the Dead Sea Works company! It is magnesium chloride tech flake.

My supplier has no other info on the product. Would that be suitable, or could it be a lower grade?