Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/03/2003, 12:18 AM
Registered Member

algae on a horse's back?

well, this is alittle odd, and I don't think it's a disease but on one of my female horses it looks like she has algae growing on her back. It's a dark greenish/grey color, and up near her head, I could see a little piece "flaking" off. I don't know what this is, but it is eating well, and doesn't seem sick. Anyone have any ideas what this could be. I will try to get a picture tomorrow or as soon as possible, but it may be hard with my grandmother's funeral. right now I only have a 15w NO 50/50 on the tank, bulb is one month old. Thanks in advance.

Brandon
Old 01/03/2003, 01:22 AM
Premium Member

Seahorses often have algae growing on them. Its nothing to worry about. Just keep a close eye for a few days to verify it is algae and not a skin condition. (probably nothing to worry about from your description.)
Old 01/03/2003, 02:37 PM
Registered Member

thanks fishgrrrl,
well, last night I went upstairs and looked as I was feeding them. More of it seemed to be flaking off, and it looks more like algae, I'm glad to have backup from you telling me all that it is, was getting a little worried. Thanks for the reply.

Brandon
Old 01/03/2003, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

infection

Keep a close eye on that seahorse. The flaking sounds like a skin infection. The skin is the largest organism on a seahorse, and vulnerable to infection. If it turns out to be a infection act quickly, if left to long there is little chance for recovery.
Aaron.
Old 01/03/2003, 05:56 PM
Registered Member

Hi Brandon,
I have had this happen to many of my horses. I always wanted to make certain it was just algae so I take a new(never been used) very soft brush,like a makeup brush and hold her gently and let her hitch to your little finger. Be sure you keep her under the water and just gently brush it away. This way you will know sooner what it is. I also sometimes just use a turkey baster and just gently blow it off the horse.
HTH
Old 01/04/2003, 12:56 AM
Registered Member

hey guys,
thanks for all the info, I'm gonna try to do what you said and brush it off, or use a turkey baster. I will also keep a close eye on it, but it really looks like it's algae now.

Brandon