Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/23/2007, 06:01 PM
Registered Member

Newb seeking lighting advice for deep tank

I purchased the tbsaltwater package a little over a year ago and have really seen most of the life in the tank die off or at least go dormant. My chemistry is good, although I never perform water changes – which I may start doing. I may be wrong, but I am thinking that the weakest link in my system is my lighting, so I want to convert to metal halide. My tank is small, but deep and I don’t have a lot of space, so I wanted to get advice on the best option for me that will most importantly, provide the light needed to this 22” deep hex and also provide the best viewing experience.

I am looking at three options – clamp on, sitting on the hood or hanging – I’m not sure what is best and not clear if 14K or 10K is better…any help is appreciated!

1) Coralife Aqualight Advanced Lighting Fixture
Hang-on tank HQI metal halide
150 watt 14,000K double-ended HQI metal halide lamp and external HQI remote ballast
Equipped with a cooling fan, highly-polished aluminum reflector, protective HQI glass lens cover and ventilation grill.

2) Current USA SunPod PowerPaq HQI Lamp & Lunar Lights
PowerPaq 14,000K HQI metal halide
integrated quiet cooling fan and strategically placed side vents for cooling.
Blue and White Lunar Lights mounted on a removable LED panel.

3) Coralife Aqualight Professional HQI Pendant
150W 10,000K Double-Ended HQI Metal Halide Lamp.
External Remote Ballast

Thanks for any help!
-Fluval 304 (Nitrate,Chemi-Pure,Carbon,bio-ballz)
-Rio 2100
-SCWD Squid Wavemaker with QuiteOne 1200
Old 12/23/2007, 07:03 PM
Registered Member

I have experience with each of these lighting fixtures and will tell you that the Current fixture is your best bet out of those three. I currently have a 150W Sunpod over my 30 cube with a 14k Phoenix bulb and really like the output.

Our tank dimensions are very similar and I really like the sleek Sunpod hood sitting on top. I presonally don't like the hanging look. My friend has an Aqualight Pro over his 26 bow and its just so big and bulky comapred to the Sunpod. I got mine as part of a complete setup, but if I had to buy it seperately I would go with a 250W. Not that 150W isnt enough light, it is, its just that some of the SPS near the bottom just don't have the intensity of colors as they do up top.

The stock bulbs that come with each of these fixtures though are junk, so I would suggest trying to get a used fixture with an old bulb and then replacing the bulb with a 14k Phoenix. The 14k Phoenix is a great bulb with a lot of PAR and GREAT colors. Not too blue, not too white. Sure, you will get a little faster growth with a 10k bulb, but isn't the point of a reef tank is for coloration? You will love the Phoenix bulb, trust me.
Old 12/23/2007, 07:15 PM
Registered Member

Re: Newb seeking lighting advice for deep tank

Quote:
Originally posted by rhenson
I purchased the tbsaltwater package a little over a year ago and have really seen most of the life in the tank die off or at least go dormant. My chemistry is good, although I never perform water changes – which I may start doing. I may be wrong, but I am thinking that the weakest link in my system is my lighting...
Your lack of water changes is likely doing more harm to your tank inhabitants than sub-par lighting. Granted, lighting could play a factor but probably not as much as the water changes. You say you have seen "most of the life in the tank die off" - what exactly is dying off?

Water changes aren't just done to keep measureable water parameters in check. They also help to replenish trace elements - things that naturally get depeted through the course of your tank's lifespan.

To me, expecting lighting to be your fix while thinking about starting to do water changes is like buying a really great home gym, but then you spend your days sitting on the couch downing Twinkies and Mountain Dew while thinking about working out... and then wondering why you don't have a six-pack.

Water changes are essential to the life of your tank.
Old 12/23/2007, 08:37 PM
Registered Member

Rich, thank you for the input, that really helps make my decission for me! MrSquid, I'll start doing regular changes...what is your frequeucy of change?
-Rio 2100
Old 12/23/2007, 08:50 PM
Registered Member

Rich - a couple of questions on the sunpod - Do you have this sitting on the glass lid of your tank or on legs over open water? If on legs over open water, do you know if that would be possible on a hex?
-Rio 2100