Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture

Old 11/29/2007, 11:33 PM
King of the white corals

Whacking my Yuma...should i do it??

i posted this in the corallimorph forum earlier today...but nobody had any input...so i guess I should have just posted it here in the first place......

anyway.........This is the first yuma I have ever kept......I have kept tons of floridas and fragged them easily.....

this thing took FOREVER to really attach to anything in my tank........and now im contemplating cutting it in half(or more) so I can trade for another sweet one (or more).

How a frag my floridas is simply take a new sharp blade and cut them into halfs or quarters with a mouth (or at least a part of one) in each piece and cut them in place.......then sperate their foot a little so they dont fuse back together. this way i never really touch them with anything but the blade and dont have to get them to reattach to anything usually.

should I do the same thing?? and should i cut it into 1/2's or could it handle 1/4's??. Its over 4" across when open completely

Old 11/30/2007, 01:03 AM
Premium Member

1/2 but i would let it grow its self

Jack
Old 11/30/2007, 01:07 AM
King of the white corals

Quote:
Originally posted by yellowslayer13
1/2 but i would let it grow its self
what do you mean "let it grow itself"??
Old 11/30/2007, 03:16 AM
Registered Member

maybe he means naturally split itself?
Old 11/30/2007, 03:37 AM
King of the white corals

if it would do that on its own i wouldnt be thinking about taking the blade to it haha
Old 12/02/2007, 03:16 AM
Premium Member

thats is true take a scalpel and do not sclice it off the stem make two cuts from oppisit sides and tword the mouth it will split to repare the damage

Jack
Old 12/02/2007, 03:24 AM
King of the white corals

so yellowslayer, youve done this before to a yuma??

I dont mean to pic on a younger reefer, I encourage them to learn and enjoy the hobby and think its awesome, but I have been fragging corals for a long time, just not yumas, and just 3 months ago you were looking for suggestions for easy corals to frag.

Its not nice to tell someone how to take a blade to their very expensive coral when you really have no idea what you are talking about or any experience doing it

Last edited by flyyyguy; 12/02/2007 at 03:32 AM.
Old 12/04/2007, 03:36 PM
Registered Member

Try out ricordia.org to start out then google yuma propagation. I've seen 3 or 4 good articles on it around the web so it shouldnt be too hard to find.
Old 12/04/2007, 03:49 PM
Premium Member

pretty easy basically like a mushroom...just cut it like yellowslayer13 said. but yes it will split eventually. some people say you need part of the mouth for it to regrow into 2 piece and some say you dont. i havnt never tryed to do it without cuting part of the mouth. just make an insition down the center if you want to or 2 slices like a pie. i havnt killed one yet...lol...i have done a few. but after you cut them they will more than likely detach from the rock so you want to get some netting like fabric tool and rubber band the tool around a rock with the ric on it and wait untill it reattaches. but if you dont want to tke a knife to it it will split eventually, how long? IDK srry. but mine seem to grow new mouths and then split.

Im sure that yellowslayer13 had done some research on. he was looking for corals to propigate. it seems like you were a little hard on him...JMO...He is younger, no offence yellowslayer13. and come on that coral wasnt that expensive, esp for just one.
Old 12/04/2007, 05:55 PM
Premium Member

flyyguy i have advanced quickly and have my siystem set up it is 2 20 longs for shrooms and 2 24'' by 24'' sps and acans. yes i have done it before with some nice yumas ill post pics of the out come

Jack
Old 12/06/2007, 09:39 PM
Registered Member

I've cut a few Yumas and a few Florida Ricorida's and they tend to be pretty easy to do, all you do is cut them in half. I have done cutting with both razors and siccors and I can't tell a difference between the two. Both pieces heal up very quickly and will round off in about a months worth of time. Normally I take frag and place it on a rock and put bridal vale netting around it with a rubber band to keep it from floating off. The hardest part about this entire process is stomaching the actual cut, after that it gets pretty easy.
Old 12/08/2007, 08:59 AM
Premium Member

the easy way for me it's been putting a rubber ban on the middle of it,it has always work for me(DON'T PUT IT TOO TIGHT)
Old 12/09/2007, 12:55 PM
Registered Member

i tried cutting it in 1/2 with my yellow yuma, and it grew back together. didn't work for me.
Old 12/09/2007, 11:12 PM
Registered Member

best thing you can ever do in a situation like yours is WAIT till it splits first... even a tiny baby. what hack at it. really I mean just cut in 1/2. don't be too hasty and cut too many. you have to ask yourself the ultimate question. can I stand loosing the entire polyp.

I know alot about this. I have mostly exotics in my tank. 10 yrs. in that 10 year period I have been overzelouse and cut too much and learned the hard way. so, to cut it... do itwith a super sharp and clean blade. NO BLADE OIL... most blades are preserved with MOTOR OIL. not good for a reef, esp. inside a coral tissue. a scalple is great as its streil out of a fresh pack. wont hurt to wear rubber gloves. take it out of the tank when you have better control ofthe cut under good light. now, cut by stabing down slowly inside the mouth and cut out twards the outside. than stick a pc of acetate or styrene in between the cut. use rubber bands to keep in place for a week. than allow the coral to heel. it should look the same when healed but have a slit in it. than wait as I have found 60% split on thier own in a fairly short period of time. NO NEED to make a full cut. *** THE CORAL WILL BE HAPPIER. *** if it does not split you can cut the other half... and do the same as above. the benefit of doing it this way is that it will not come off the rock. if you make a full cut it more than likely will. and ou know what that means... right?