Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/24/2007, 03:52 PM
Registered Member

I just bought this RO now. So, if Blown63 is correct, this wasted water pours out from hotwater everytime i turn on hot water on my faucets? Instead of draining down to drain it recirculated back to hotwater? if it's isn't this waste (filtered water) bad for your skin or cloth? It must not if they discover to re-use this bad water. I do have water-softner in our house will this help to reduce whatever it's in the water? Should I cancel my order? Im more puzzled then before.
Old 10/24/2007, 03:55 PM
Rubberman

Quote:
Originally posted by blown63chevy
ez, sorry but we just did one. 20 people signe dup from our club but only 15 showed up for the tour. They missed out big time. If any of the other clubs want to do the same as we, drop me a PM and I'll gladly pass on some info.
My wife took me there about 3 years ago for Father's Day and we did the back room tour. For her that was I pretty bold move since she really couldn't care less about fish stuff.

Anyway I was a little disappointed as it seemed to be directed at 6th graders. I understand that most people don't have the interests we hobbyists do. I asked maybe 3 questions that seemed simple enough for someone giving the tour before I gave up and ate my nori.

Sorry I missed your tour.

Quote:
Originally posted by Captain Quirk
I'd urge you to consider one, anyway. Water is a resource that we don't have a lot of here in the California DESERT...

I gotta go hose all the ash off my driveway, BRB.

SteveU
Old 10/24/2007, 04:00 PM
Premium Member

I think the waste would just cause build up of metals and cause phospate/algae problems in reef aquaria, but for our skin there are much worse things we expose ourselves to, even hand soap.

My tap test at 130ppm, and RO/DI waste is at 180ppm. I guess I'm lucky because some people have their tap at 400+ppm.

I wouldn't cancel because of any health problems surrounding with the waste water recirculating.
Old 10/24/2007, 04:01 PM
Rubberman

This water will have a higher TDS since it's the flush water. It will have been through the pre-filters on your system so chlorine will be gone. What we all need to keep in mind with these systems is that once your water goes through the carbon stage(s) you no longer have the chlorine to stop bacterial growth. We should follow maintenance guidelines especially when you are using a holding tank system.

I think that's why you see some systems will employ a UV unit just before the final output.

SteveU
Old 10/24/2007, 04:22 PM
It's Domo-kun

Your waste water will be no (or not much) worse than your input water. Use it for whatever.
Old 10/24/2007, 04:41 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
[i] no longer have the chlorine to stop bacterial growth. We should follow maintenance guidelines especially when you are using a holding tank system.

[/B]
How about those delivered water like Arrowhead or even from those bottle waters from stores. They've been sitting on shelf for while. Will this bacteria harmful immediately? I've used other RO and can't remember being sick drinking this water or could have but, just do not know if water cause the illness
Old 10/25/2007, 10:56 AM
I yam what I yam

Hey Steve, that was my main interest in setting up the tour, to get us a knowledgeable person to give the tour more focused on hobbiest. Worked out well I think. Learned a lot and as Dave mentioned, my group asked a lot of questions. I'm a nerd when it comes to seeking knowledge. Plus Carlskoi was also with us and he was looking for idea's since he's setting up a 700g tank in his new house he's building. Sorry you mised it but we just kind of kept it to our local club site.

frogiii,
The main issue I see with putting the waste water back into your hot water is that it will not be going back thru your water softner. So that means that you will have an excess build up of the waste elements in your hot water supply. Now you may be able to modify the setup and have the waste pumped into your main line before it goes into the water sofyner. Don't know for sure how it will affect the life of your water softner and filters.

Dave, yea we asked a bunch of questions. Guess your group had to deal with Brad hitting on your tour guide huh?

Have you THANKED a Veteran lately for the freedoms you take for granted each day?
Old 10/25/2007, 04:18 PM
Premium Member

For those of you concerned with waste water from your unit, just be creative. Mine is in my laundry room, and we just used some drip irrigation connectors to extend the waste water line and have it running into my washer. Run water, fill washer, do laundry. Works great, and I haven't noticed a difference in my clothes.