Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks

Old 08/15/2007, 11:39 AM
Registered Member

NUBIANTANGLOVER's New 265g Build Thread

Okay,

I have finally decided (and been blessed enough) to upgrade to my new Dream System! After reading numerous successful build threads here on RC, analyzing the RC Tank of The Months, printing good threads/photos, creating a design notebook of ideas etc. I have created an outline for my new system.

I hope you enjoy browsing, reading, and commenting on my progress as I will enjoy creating a nice small piece of the underground jewel we have been blessed to experience in our lifetime! This is the first build thread I've created as well as the first full reef system I've designed. Please feel free to offer your suggestions and comments. My system can only be perfected with your help.

Enjoy...

Old 08/15/2007, 12:30 PM
Registered Member

My System has finally arrived!

It is a 265g Glass Perfecto Tank, which , as you may expect is quite heavy. The dimensions are as follows:

A. 265g Tank made by Perfecto {84"(l) x 24"(w) x 30"(tall)}

B. Oak Stand made by Perfecto {87"(l) x 24.75(w) x 34.75"(tall)}

C. Oak Canopy by Perfecto {88"(l) x 26.5(w) x 12" (tall)}
Old 08/15/2007, 12:56 PM
Registered Member

The New Tank Arrived at approximately 10:00pm! They loaded it up & delivered it directly from the store (Frank & Peg's Pet Place)to my home. Talk about great customer service!
Old 08/15/2007, 01:38 PM
Premium Member

you know what we all want now... PICTURES.

That and more details... out with it.

Proud Registered ORCA Member
Old 08/15/2007, 01:42 PM
Registered Member

The New Tank Arrived at approximately 10:00pm! They loaded it up & delivered it directly from the store (Frank & Peg's Pet Place)to my home. Talk about great customer service!

Here is another photo shot of the system brought for installation. The tank, stand & canopy were all boxed by Perfecto for added safety. The trailer holding the entire system is a little over 10 feet long.

Here is a photo of the guys (along with my sweet, understanding and loveable husband who accepts my love for this hobby) helping them to unload the canopy into the garage to make room from the stand installation into the home.

Old 08/15/2007, 01:49 PM
Registered Member

thirschmann,

I've gotcha covered. More photos to come.
Old 08/15/2007, 02:17 PM
Registered Member

My system design will consist of a Closed-Loop System.

The tank is integrated with "Corner-Flos," which are simply pre-drilled overflows and returns in the back corners of the tank. I like the system design as each Corner-Flo has easy to remove front panels for cleaning when necessary. The design also helps to eliminate dead space in the aquarium and delivers at least 700GPH of circulation.

For my Closed Loop Circulation:

I will be using the Sequence Reeflo-Dart pump. It is a non-submersible pump that delivers great flow (3600gph!), is priced very nicely(I paid $208.00 from Fishtanksdirect.com), and has high reviews for being quiet. I guess, I will be able to test these parameters, once I get the system up and running.

Here is a photo of the packaged Pump:

Last edited by NUBIANTANGLOVER; 08/15/2007 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08/15/2007, 03:45 PM
Registered Member

Of course,

I've learned that you can almost never had enough flow when designing a reef system. So, I know that the closed loop circulation just will not do justice for this tank. I decided to add additional circulation inside of the tank.

At first, I was thinking about getting the Tunze pumps...but the price carries a hefty punch, I purchased the SEIO pumps instead. I actually got to view the SEIOs in action at the LFS here in Charlotte.
The pumps cost me roughly $65.00 each. Thus far, I will be using two Seio pumps (SEIO M1500s). They will be located on each end of my tank.

SEIOs M1500:
Old 08/15/2007, 05:15 PM
Registered Member

The back of the tank was painted today.
To give more depth to the tank, I chose the color black. I painted the outside of the tank by simply using a small can of latex black paint applied with a small sponge roller.

Next, I blue taped the top and bottom of the tan with blue painter's tape to avoid getting any excess paint on those areas. Next, I applied roughly 3-4 coats of the paint.

Like most reef systems, I will be using alot of light in my system. Having said that, I do not want any missed spots to show where I did not completely paint the tank as well. So, throughout the paint process, I positioned a lamp behind the tank where I was working so that I can view from the front any spots I missed painting. From the back, the paint always appears to 100% completely cover the tank. However, with the light shinning on the back, I was able to clearly see the additional spots I needed to repaint when I viewed the tank from the front.

Tip:
You can get cheap paint by going to the local hardware store such as Lowe's and Home Depot and looking at their mixed batches of paint which are reduced for quick sale. Th cans are usually located behind the painting's workstation. There's usually a can of black. I got my can, believe it or not, for only $3.00.
Old 08/15/2007, 09:32 PM
Registered Member

Sounds like your off to a good start. Can't wait to see more pictures of your progress.
Old 08/15/2007, 09:40 PM
Registered Member

Thanks yoboyjdizz!

I am kinda nervous as this is my first reef system/build. I see that you are a Kings & Cowboys Fan! Great Picks! My husband lives and breathes Cowboys!
I like the Kings too. Especially before they broke up Bibby, Christie, Webber and the other guys! I wish they would've kept those guys together just another year.
Old 08/15/2007, 10:30 PM
Registered Member

Hey, I live right down the road and always like to meet new reefers in my area!! Just let me know if you ever need any help. I would be happy to help with frags when your ready!!
Old 08/15/2007, 11:20 PM
Registered Member

Thanks MrSaltLife. I am going to add you to my buddy list here on RC. It's great to know there are neighbors here on RC. Do you belong to any local reef clubs?
Old 08/15/2007, 11:22 PM
Registered Member

No just coral dynamics (lol) seems like I'm there every day!
Old 08/15/2007, 11:23 PM
Registered Member

I also have a few fish if you want them.
Old 08/15/2007, 11:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MrSaltLife
I also have a few fish if you want them.
That sounds bad. Sorry I am relocating some of them!
Old 08/16/2007, 07:27 AM
Wish coral grew faster

The dart is very quiet, I have it on my closed loop in a new build with a currently open base of a stand that is not finished (closed in yet) and you cannot even hear it.

Your tank size is what I wanted to go with, but it would have required a bit more carpentry work too the walls so I went with the 6' tank instead.

Have you started to fill the tank yet, or have it in the stand? Made your choices for skimmer/lights/other gear you will be upgrading?
Old 08/16/2007, 09:01 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MrSaltLife
No just coral dynamics (lol) seems like I'm there every day!
Is Coral Dynamics a LFS here? If so, what's the location so I can swing by there today. I am always looking for a great deal! BTW, I will keep you posted regarding the fish offers.
Old 08/16/2007, 09:34 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KurtsReef
The dart is very quiet, I have it on my closed loop in a new build with a currently open base of a stand that is not finished (closed in yet) and you cannot even hear it.

Your tank size is what I wanted to go with, but it would have required a bit more carpentry work too the walls so I went with the 6' tank instead.

Have you started to fill the tank yet, or have it in the stand? Made your choices for skimmer/lights/other gear you will be upgrading?
Kurstreef,

For my light system, I chose to go with a retrofit system. I purchased from Aquacave:

1. (3) CoralVue 400w Metal Halide Electronic Ballasts

2. (3) CoralVue Metal Halide Reflectors

3. (3) XM 400W 20,000K Metal Halide Bulbs, SE

Initially, I was going to go with (2) 250w bulbs on the end and 400w in the middle. However, I realized that it would probably be much better if I used 400w completely.

I selected the XM bulbs after reading many reviews and of course, Cnidarianreef's Wonderful bulb comparision thread. The latest version can be found at:

http://www.cnidarianreef.com/lamps.cfm

Now, after looking and printing the pages to compare all the different bulbs, I knew I wanted to go with a blueish look to my tank. I liked the results of the "XM" 20K bulbs, as well as the price of them.
Old 08/16/2007, 11:34 AM
Registered Member

Here are a couple of photos of the lighting installed.

As far as the Skimmer, I will be using the same skimmer I had for my previous tank. I believe it is the ASM G3 skimmer. I need to check my records on this. It's either the ASM G2 or ASM G3.

I know that it did a pretty fabulous job on my previous 175 Bowfront. I am in the process of cleaning it up a little. I read somewhere I could clean it using a water & vinegar solution.

Any suggestions on this?
Old 08/16/2007, 11:36 AM
Registered Member

I will be purchasing several GFCI outlets for additional safety measures.

Last edited by NUBIANTANGLOVER; 08/16/2007 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08/16/2007, 11:38 AM
Registered Member

Since taking the pictures of the lighting, I've also secured the wiring connecting the reflector to the ballast with heavy duty electric tape. This way, I can be sure that the wires will be safe from any water contact.

On the photos above, you can actually see the wiring hanging freely from the reflector--connecting to the ballast wiring. This is not the case now.
Old 08/16/2007, 12:01 PM
Registered Member

did u get my last pm about the sump?
Old 08/16/2007, 12:32 PM
Wish coral grew faster

Yes, cleaning it (Skimmer) with water and vinegar will work well. That is something I generally do too any equipment that is either new or in need of cleaning. I had to upgrade as my previous skimmer was not nearly large enough to handle the bioload this tank will see.
Old 08/16/2007, 01:08 PM
Registered Member

we demand a full tank shot!!!!