Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Arizona - Fish & Reef Aquarium Group (FRAG)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/15/2007, 02:08 PM
Zoa's ROCK!!!

Vegetarian in the house?

Just curious!
Old 07/15/2007, 02:53 PM
][D][][V][][D

No--but my wife doesn't eat beef or pork
Old 07/15/2007, 03:26 PM
Registered Member

I don't eat most meats but not because I'm a vegetarian rather because meat doesn't like my stomach

Watch out behind you its that Murphy guy and he's up to no good again.
Old 07/15/2007, 05:30 PM
My Boys

I don't eat Pork or shell fish.
It's Not The Beginning Or The End That Counts It's The Journey That Gets You There That Matters.Autism Is Just A Symptom.Over Coming It Is A Challenge.A Disability Is The Ability To Do Things Differently.
Old 07/15/2007, 07:48 PM
Registered Member

I find all animals and plants delicious.
Old 07/15/2007, 08:01 PM
Zoa's ROCK!!!

hey alto what about other things besides animals and plants, like lentils, beans, grains, rice. (just to name a few)?

Hey is there anyone who wants to go vegetarian?
Old 07/15/2007, 08:06 PM
Registered Member

Grains/legumes/etc are all products of plants so I mentally kind of wrap them all together. But yeah I love lentils, beans, quinoa, edamame, tofu just about anything edible. The only thing I don't really care for straight would be banana's. I cant say I have ever eaten any grubs or bugs per say but I have a try it once policy, I wouldn't consider myself a very good chef if I didn't.

IMO people arent meant to be vegetarian. The human body cant thrive on a restrictive diet. We are omnivores, designed to consume both plant and animal matter. If we deny our bodies what its intended to eat we suffer in our health whether that be the person who pushes the veggies aside and powers through the 20 oz porterhouse, or the person who wont eat some fish or chicken etc. I wouldnt consider either of those people "healthy".

Vegetarianism is a luxury of the rich, the burden of the poor, or a restriction of religion. None of which take into account what the human body actually needs to survive or thrive.

Last edited by Alto; 07/15/2007 at 08:12 PM.
Old 07/15/2007, 10:47 PM
][D][][V][][D

Quote:
Originally posted by Alto
I find all animals and plants delicious.
metoo!!
Old 07/15/2007, 11:33 PM
Moved On

I'm a upstanding member of PETA..

People for the eating of Tasty animals

-paul
Old 07/15/2007, 11:35 PM
Well... You know...

If we are not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?
so you can maintain a lifestyle
that insults his family's existence
Old 07/16/2007, 12:40 AM
Registered Member

Pretty much. why do you ask?
Frizz
Old 07/16/2007, 12:52 AM
Zoa's ROCK!!!

Just curious if there was anyone in the phoniex/tucson area on here who was a veg and knew of a good place to eat. We went to lovin'spoonfuls, it wasnt bad but they had all these rules about when they would serve breakfast, Im more I want veg'n nuggets at 9o'clock, or I want a veggie burger with xtra veganise at like 8 at night. lol!
Old 07/16/2007, 02:19 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Kentanner11
Just curious if there was anyone in the phoniex/tucson area on here who was a veg and knew of a good place to eat. We went to lovin'spoonfuls, it wasnt bad but they had all these rules about when they would serve breakfast, Im more I want veg'n nuggets at 9o'clock, or I want a veggie burger with xtra veganise at like 8 at night. lol!

Pei wie Is good and will make anything with tofu [ewwww]
Old 07/16/2007, 02:22 AM
Registered Member

there's a place in tempe off of rural between apache and university, if I drive by it tomorrow I'll let you know

Watch out behind you its that Murphy guy and he's up to no good again.
Old 07/16/2007, 10:58 AM
Zoa's ROCK!!!

corivus- Cool thanks!
Reef-o-Roni- You dont like tofu? How is that possible it doesnt taste like anything? lol! Hey you HAVE to try this: Its called Morning Star Chick'N Nuggets. (Morning Star is a complete veg product line) At school I gave these to a few of my friends and they COULD NOT tell a difference!
Old 07/16/2007, 11:21 AM
Industry Professional

Pita Jungle, Apache and Dorsey.

I speak for myself and no one else.
Old 07/16/2007, 11:34 AM
Pie Is My Favorite Flavor

I like Pita Jungle, but the kids working there look like *they* need feeding. I feel like I should be buying food for them to eat.
Old 07/16/2007, 01:24 PM
Moved On

Quote:
corivus- Cool thanks!
Reef-o-Roni- You dont like tofu? How is that possible it doesnt taste like anything? lol! Hey you HAVE to try this: Its called Morning Star Chick'N Nuggets. (Morning Star is a complete veg product line) At school I gave these to a few of my friends and they COULD NOT tell a difference!
My girlfriend tries to trick me all the time with stuff like that.It looks like meat smells like meat but when I tast it
Old 07/16/2007, 03:08 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
corivus- Cool thanks!
Thats basically because traditional chicken nuggets could be virtually anything. I dont like things that are processed too much. Unless they are whole muscle chicken strips/"nuggets" I wouldnt touch them with a 10 foot pole. If you paired one of those nuggets against a chicken nugget made from a breaded chicken tender there is no human on the face of the earth who wouldnt be able to tell the difference instantly. But sure if you blend chicken meat and by-products up with stabilizers/emulsifiers, wheat gluten, flour, and preservatives you can make it taste like tofu nuggets. I would say the processed chicken nuggets taste more like the tofu nuggets then the other way around.

But dont get me wrong I love a good vegetarian meal from time to time, and I will eat tofu straight out of the carton with a fork and love it. But once a week or so I also love a good new york grilled medium rare with nothing but a little salt and pepper as well.
Old 07/16/2007, 05:40 PM
Ruger dog

I find myself eating less red meat and more vegetables as I get older but for some God awful reason I'm still a FAT@SS compared to a few years ago.

BTW Ryan, I'm Jewish by blood and I eat the bejesus out of BACON and shellfish (sometimes I even eat the shellfish RAW)
Old 07/16/2007, 06:52 PM
Registered Member

PERSIAN GARDEN @ 19th Ave & Thomas is outstanding.

If you like Mexican LOS DOS MOLINOS in south central Phoenix has killer Chile Relleños & fantastic salsa. Warning, only eat the relleños if you like HOT. Their green sauce is some of the hottest that I have ever had anywhere but also some of the most flavorful. The relleños are made from the same green chiles & covered with the green sauce. Call for their hours though because they are closed part of the afternon, Sundays & I think Mondays.

Both DELHI PALACE 's have plenty of fine vegetarian dishes. One is around 52 st /McDowell & the other is near Rural & University. They are not owned by the same people. Both are good but I like the food at the Tempe one a little better. ( also better service)

FATE in downtown Phoenix has the absolute best tofu in the unviverse. They also make a great vegetarian spring roll. Call them first. Last time I passed they were closed for some remodeling. Also the parking sucks.

DOZO in central Scottsdale has really great miso soup. You can also get tempura veggies & I believe that they have a couple of vegetarian sushi selections as well.

HAVANA CAFE on Camelback near 44th St. has Cuban Black Bean Soup to die for & some yummy vegitarian appetizers.
Frizz
Old 07/16/2007, 06:57 PM
Registered Member

I was also going to recommend Persian Garden. It's actually at 15th Avenue and Thomas, right next to the Original Hamburger Works.

Also, Thai Basil in Tempe. It's on University, a couple of blocks west of Mill Avenue. Lots of veg-friendly options.
Old 07/16/2007, 07:14 PM
Zoa's ROCK!!!

hey frizz- does DOZO serve mock sushi- cause to me vegetarian means no animal, a fish is an animal.
Thank you all! I cant wait to try out some of these places!
Old 07/16/2007, 07:20 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
hey frizz- does DOZO serve mock sushi- cause to me vegetarian means no animal, a fish is an animal.
Thank you all! I cant wait to try out some of these places!
The word "sushi" in Japanese refers to the rice, and not to the fish or other ingredients that accompany it.
Old 07/16/2007, 07:31 PM
Registered Member

I think that a lot of folks get sushi confused with sashimi.
Frizz