Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/13/2007, 07:53 PM
Mother won't be happy

Quote:
Originally posted by flyyyguy
That was not my intention, and I still dont feel I did "drag Aquamags over the coals". Maybe Jim personally a little bit I did. But from what I have witnessed in several places he kinda asks for it.

Im still not satisfied that just becasue the magnet was not corroded that the black wicking didnt come from something else in the frag mag. I didnt hesitate to offer that i didnt find any corrosion once I did cut it open. And even if I would have done that first, it wouldnt have changed the fact that the coral in question has some strange black wicking going on that I havent seen on anything BUT a aquamag frag mag. Does that mean the aquamag is conclusively to blame?? Of course it doesnt. Still do not know what exactly is

It was your intention or you would have contacted them first...

It is inert plastic my friend.....did you pick off the coral base and get to the original surface to see how it looks?

I am done with this discussion. As for frag-mags....they are a great product and again I have had ZERO issues using them.
Old 06/14/2007, 11:44 PM
Registered Member

Seriously Neptune...he said right away that he was not accusing the frag-mag, but that was the only thing he could think of at the time.
Bad form for posting a problem on a HUGE community, trying to get some answers?
IN MY OPINION, it is bad form on your part for completely tearing this thread away from it's original topic to defend your friend and try to make flyguy look like a d*ck. Did he ever say, "Frag-mags suck, they turned my coral black"?

"Ok......first off.........Im not making any accusations at this point. Im just running this by you all and want to hear your thoughts."

That was his first sentence...ENOUGH SAID.

So is the coral still lookin' better fly?
Old 06/15/2007, 01:49 AM
Non-smoker

To me it looks like anaerobic bacteria, when you frag make sure there are no debris under the base of the frag. Something under there will create a space for gas to be trapped and bacteria to form.

I have also seen this when it comes to boring bivalves lodged in SPS. When you pull them out there is a vein of anaerobic goo and mess. It is usually perfectly hallow and does not effect the coral.

However if not clean out or reseal it, it will spur algae to grow from the open spot and can over take the frag.
Old 06/15/2007, 06:29 AM
Mother won't be happy

Quote:
Originally posted by garvondavis14
Seriously Neptune...he said right away that he was not accusing the frag-mag, but that was the only thing he could think of at the time.
Bad form for posting a problem on a HUGE community, trying to get some answers?
IN MY OPINION, it is bad form on your part for completely tearing this thread away from it's original topic to defend your friend and try to make flyguy look like a d*ck. Did he ever say, "Frag-mags suck, they turned my coral black"?

"Ok......first off.........Im not making any accusations at this point. Im just running this by you all and want to hear your thoughts."

That was his first sentence...ENOUGH SAID.

So is the coral still lookin' better fly?

You can't be serious?
Old 06/15/2007, 09:22 AM
titankinetics.com

I would like to see Aquamags defend them selfs. I cut one of my corals off that had been there for around 8 months and it was fine. I glued the coral with Dollar General super glue. The frag mags work great. I do think that they should post a reply other than saying that they are a satisfied customer.
Old 06/15/2007, 11:10 AM
Magnetic Wall of SPS

Ade,

I defended myself, my company and my product a page back. That is when I originally stated the Black substance most likely is the same stuff (Anaerobic) you find in the middle of live rock. That is when I was attacked and falsley accused of creating multiple "Identities" to create fictitous satisfied Frag-mag users on other websites. I did some Marketing, but NEVER created multiple user names as I have been accused of doing on this and other sites.

I am a reef enthusiast and would never create a product that wasn't safe for my reef or others. I hope everyone understands that posts like these can be VERY damaging to the reputation of a product and to a small start up company like mine.

I hope Fly Guys coral recovers, and I also hope that he contnues to use Aqua-mags "Frag-mag" with confidence that it is 100% Reef Safe.

Best regards,

Jim
Old 06/15/2007, 11:17 AM
Fish Obsessed

I think I would like to try them. Where can I buy some?

"The whole purpose of religion is to facilitate love and compassion, patience, tolerance, humility, and forgiveness."

Educational Officer - C.O.M.A.S.
Old 06/15/2007, 11:18 AM
Fish Obsessed

Ha,nevermind. I just searched on Google. I found it!

"The whole purpose of religion is to facilitate love and compassion, patience, tolerance, humility, and forgiveness."

Educational Officer - C.O.M.A.S.
Old 06/19/2007, 08:39 PM
River Rat

Satistified customer here! one GREAT product..
Old 12/18/2007, 10:19 PM
Premium Member

This must be some strange co-incidence. I was researching the shapes that corals take growing while attached to Frag_Mags (I have a soft spot for tabling acros) and somehow stumbled upon this thread. I needed frag mags to make some additional real estate in my tank for all the cool frags that my family decided to order for me this holiday season. Anyhow, here’s the story in the brief:

A few weeks ago I started noticing my teal stag slowly loose its color. First thought was of RBs and AEFWs and the joy of endless water changes. Removed the coral and part of the rock it encrusted onto and performed TMTCC dip and an hour of fluke treatment to see if I'll find anything with a 20X glass. Nothing, except some mysis shrimp, some pods and baby limpids. That made no sense to me at all - full PE and no color. I severed the main branch and the smell of rotten eggs hit me straight in my nostrils. I examined the coral and take a look at what I found. That teal stag was attached to a DIY rock (made by yours truly). I must have used less than enough SG gel to attach it and its base probably encapsulated either algae or what have you that in turn started decomposing or triggering deterioration of the coral’s innards. The plug (frag_mag) itself has myriad of crevices that have to be leveled either with 2-part epoxy or with enough SG gel to prevent any gaps between coral’s base and the surface of the plug. Is this an explanation to the observed? I am not an expert. But if it is, I hope it puts our collective minds at ease. Happy Holidays to all of you!

Old 12/19/2007, 12:33 AM
Registered Member

that just looks gross! Yea i had the same issue, its bacteria from bad fraging technique, now i always use epoxy for my sps frags, takes a little longer to encrust but better than having the pic above!

Ive never used these frag mags, but they look cool. My coral was mounted to a rock w/ SG.
Old 12/19/2007, 09:35 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aquarius77
I am a real frag mag customer and i have to think that is some kind of leach. I have seen similar "stuff" inside one of my acros and i blame the frag plug it was on because there is nothing in the mother colony. Here are some pics of what i discovered in a acro glued to a "aragonite" plug

I quit using those plugs and removed any corals i had on them unless they had completely encrusted.

I like my frag mags, i hope that im off base here but it sure looks like what i was seeing only on a larger scale. When i cut into the acro pictured above i was cutting branches off a frag that just got too big, maybe if i hack into the base of the peice that i fragged the branches off i will run into something like that. It has always been nasty brown, even the mother colony, so i cant say i lost any color but all fragments of that coral are still growing, even the one on the aragonite death plug.
I have seen something similar to this in my reef but never used a "fragmag". It was on a aragonite style plug and I thought it was because whatever was in the "cement" plug leeched into the frag.
Old 12/19/2007, 09:51 AM
Registered Member

Just to throw something else out there, could it be a reaction
It is a magnet right, well could it be magnetizing the corals skeleton, due to the certain mineral makeup?
Just a thought