Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment

Old 08/09/2007, 01:52 PM
Registered Member

I try to avoid turbulence in the neck of the skimmer, where the bubbles rise towards the collection cup. When I run my CS6-1 with the air wide open, the bubbles surge up and down in the neck of the skimmer. When I choke the air back a bit, they slow down and rise uniformly toward the collection cup. They're also smaller when I turn the air down.

Quote:
Originally posted by masterfuji01
When everyone says that turbulance isnt good...what are they refering to. isnt the water column supposed to be turbulent?
Old 08/09/2007, 02:11 PM
Registered Member

sounds good...in my main chamber the bubbles are going everywhich way, but when they hit the neck they all rise uniformly. So i guess im in the clear. Thanks Tennsquire.
Old 08/09/2007, 02:47 PM
Registered Member

Hi guys,

Well here are my E-R toys.

My first Euro, ES5-2 (I think that was the model ) in my 90 gal. Reef Aquarium.

180 gal. Reef with Euro-Reef RC 500, MidwestAquatic Sulfur Denitrifier, AC3, Dart return pump, Hammerhead w/2 WavySeas, 3 400 watts MH bulbs w/ VHO Actinics, 1/2 Compact DI TW Chiller, Osmolator, etc.
Old 08/09/2007, 02:48 PM
Registered Member

Then I bought my E-R RC 180, also for that Aquarium.

180 gal. Reef with Euro-Reef RC 500, MidwestAquatic Sulfur Denitrifier, AC3, Dart return pump, Hammerhead w/2 WavySeas, 3 400 watts MH bulbs w/ VHO Actinics, 1/2 Compact DI TW Chiller, Osmolator, etc.
Old 08/09/2007, 02:50 PM
Registered Member

And my final and actual toy is my RC 500 monster, installed in my new 180 gal. Reef Aquarium.

That's all, thank you!!!

Mario
Old 08/09/2007, 05:27 PM
RC Sponsor

wow that is some nasty stuff right there!!
The most beautiful thing that we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed. -Albert Einstein
Old 08/09/2007, 05:30 PM
Registered Member

I was told that, a Ehiam pump for the RC135 is coming out.I was wondering when that is.
Old 08/09/2007, 10:55 PM
Registered Member

I don't have a good pic of the main chamber, but here's a good look at the neck the the bubbles.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Quote:
Originally posted by masterfuji01
sounds good...in my main chamber the bubbles are going everywhich way, but when they hit the neck they all rise uniformly. So i guess im in the clear. Thanks Tennsquire.
Old 08/09/2007, 11:17 PM
Premium Member

I am in the process of getting a ER RS180 from a member here on RC. I was wondering if you can give me the Riser tube dimensions? I want to put a gate valve on it. I have an 1 1/2 gate valve from a previous skimmer.
Old 08/10/2007, 10:16 AM
Registered Member

saws a few pics that some people were using a t valve instead of a gate
does that work as well?
Old 08/10/2007, 10:54 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lilchris
I am in the process of getting a ER RS180 from a member here on RC. I was wondering if you can give me the Riser tube dimensions? I want to put a gate valve on it. I have an 1 1/2 gate valve from a previous skimmer.
Euroreef Spec sheet says the 180 is an 8-inch diameter skimmer. They also say that the 1.5 inch gate valve assembly works on 8 inch diameter skimmers, so I would say you're good with the 1.5 inch gate valve.
Old 08/10/2007, 12:00 PM
Registered Member

Hey all- Does anyone have an extra 3500 impellar? Also, Sorry to sound stupid, but how do I mesh-mod the pinwheel? I know this sounds noobish...
Thanks alot!
Old 08/14/2007, 08:10 AM
Registered Member

nm on the meshmod, but still looking for a new impellar
Old 08/14/2007, 11:53 AM
Registered Member

Question...Can the ES53 be modded to run externally?
Old 08/15/2007, 12:46 AM
RC Sponsor

orangekush4,

No Eheim yet for the RC135. No real need as the SEDRA 5000 works perfectly with the skimmer and is very quiet. Once we dial in an EHEIM for the 135, we will offer it as an option, but it will increase the price substantially and likely not gain a lot in performance or noise reduction.
Old 09/13/2007, 02:22 PM
Registered Member

RS250 - Loud!

Just filled my tank yesterday, and noticed the RS250 is quite loud. The pump is quite loud, but I also hear some type of sucking or gurgling noise - I can't describe it, but it seems to be coming from the skimmer's plumbing somewhere.

I had an older ER skimmer (either a CS8-2 or CS8-3) on my last tank - it's the one with the foam on the risertube. With that design, even though water was freefalling into the sump, it was much quieter than this new one. I think the pump on that was a Sedra pump.

Do I have a defective pump? Are the Sedra or Eheim pumps quieter? If so, can I buy one for my skimmer?

Is there anything I can do to quiet down the plumbing?

Thanks

Last edited by tbone28; 09/13/2007 at 02:28 PM.
Old 09/13/2007, 06:52 PM
Registered Member

I have the RS250 and had the same issue. The pump is very loud. I called ER and they have a comparable Eheim for a reduced price.

If your drain/exit is above water level I think that takes care of the gurgling sound.
Old 09/13/2007, 10:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by screamincamaro
I have the RS250 and had the same issue. The pump is very loud. I called ER and they have a comparable Eheim for a reduced price.

If your drain/exit is above water level I think that takes care of the gurgling sound.
Thanks for the tip. Did you end up buying the Eheim from them? How much did they charge? Did they take the stock Gen-X pump back and give you a credit for it?

Do you have the gurgling sound on yours? I removed the drain pipe, and the water splashes into the sump. It is actually louder. Did you cut your stock drain pipe so that it is just above the water level?
Old 09/14/2007, 05:28 AM
Registered Member

Did you end up buying the Eheim from them? How much did they charge? Did they take the stock Gen-X pump back and give you a credit for it?

Yes, I should have the Eheim by Mon/Tues and no exchange or credit. So I get to keep the old one as a spare. I think they give you a break on the price alos.

Do you have the gurgling sound on yours? I removed the drain pipe, and the water splashes into the sump. It is actually louder. Did you cut your stock drain pipe so that it is just above the water level?

Yes I did. I read in the instruction book to cut the return pipe just above water level to prevent the gurgling (it can cause adjustment issues also). I cut the exit down pipe right above the water level and the splashing. There is some splashing sound but it is not bad. I can't really hear it over the pump....LOL

Also originally my skimmer was in about 13" of water. When I called their support they recommended the skimmer to be submerged in 6-8" of water. So I used some eggcrate and PVC to raise the skimmer up.

Hope that helps. It skims great by the way.
Old 09/18/2007, 06:45 PM
Registered Member

Well I got the new Eheim today and I'm not exactly thrilled. While it is quiet it doesn't seem to have anywhere near the flow of the other one.
Old 09/18/2007, 08:41 PM
Premium Member

I think the Eheims have a smaller diameter output, thus not performing great for all skimmer's
Old 09/18/2007, 09:13 PM
Generic Member

The SP5 is ~ 1200 LPH, the Eheim is around the same as an SP4 @ 900 LPH.
Old 09/19/2007, 07:50 AM
I'll take SWords for $500

Hello all, need help here.

I have a Euroreef (forget the model but its for about 220 gallons and has two sedra pumps)

Anyway, been running fine for almost a year. Recently, my skimmate cup fills up with mostly clear water -- in only a few minutes!! What could cause this?

- I havent done anything significant to the tank or skimmer to recently.

- again last night took out the two pumps (sedras) and cleaned the venturis and airlines.

- the gate valve is opened up all the way as it always has been. when i turn it the other way, i think the skimmate actually comes up quicker! so im sure I have it open right.

So, any ideas as to why I would be getting such an overflow?? Help!
Old 09/19/2007, 08:04 AM
Standpipe Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by bheron
Hello all, need help here.

I have a Euroreef (forget the model but its for about 220 gallons and has two sedra pumps)

Anyway, been running fine for almost a year. Recently, my skimmate cup fills up with mostly clear water -- in only a few minutes!! What could cause this?

- I havent done anything significant to the tank or skimmer to recently.

- again last night took out the two pumps (sedras) and cleaned the venturis and airlines.

- the gate valve is opened up all the way as it always has been. when i turn it the other way, i think the skimmate actually comes up quicker! so im sure I have it open right.

So, any ideas as to why I would be getting such an overflow?? Help!
Can you figure out the model number? Is it at least in sump or out of sump? Is it pump fed or direct fed by overflow?

Sounds like your water level in the skimmer could be elevated. When you close the air valve is the water level where you expect it?

Visit My Chunk of the Ocean, click the Red House above.
Old 09/19/2007, 12:43 PM
I'll take SWords for $500

Thanks for the help.

"Can you figure out the model number? Is it at least in sump or out of sump? Is it pump fed or direct fed by overflow?

- I looked it up. Its the CS 8-3+.

Here's a pic of it next to my older, smaller skimmer:

And here it is in the sump

Fed by two Sedra pumps.

"Sounds like your water level in the skimmer could be elevated. When you close the air valve is the water level where you expect it?"

- Thats what Ive been learning from another thread I have going on. But, to be honest the level in the sump really hasnt changed that much. During this summer, the level is much more varied, which isnt good to begin with. Im thinking maybe something's blocking the output?

To your other question, when I installed this (Jan) I closed the gate valve all the way and the water just shot out the top. So, the whole time I've had the gate valve opened all the way.

I've also just learned that my output maybe shouldn't be under water?? Aggh, it has been this whole time!! Maybe thats why my valve has had to be open all the way??