Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/16/2006, 03:07 PM
Member Registered

DampRid

I'm just wondering about the product DampRid. It says it contains Calcium Chloride. Isn't that the same thing as Dow Flake? I get a 42 oz. carton of it at Home Depot for about $10. I've actually already used it a couple of times and I haven't seen any negative side effects. It is marketed as a moisture absorber. I also just took a trip to New Hampshire for the first time. It looked like people were using the same product to melt snow. Do you think this stuff is OK to put in our tanks? Thank you
Old 12/16/2006, 03:19 PM
Member Registered

I just looked it up. Here is a link to their site. It looks like I can get 6 of the 42 oz. cartons for a lot less than at Home Depot.
http://www.damprid.dsiwebbuilder.com...at=46094#fg50t
Old 12/16/2006, 03:22 PM
Reef Chemist

It is a similar chemical, but unless you do a very expensive chemical analysis, or a lot of tank trial and error, it is not possible to know if it is adequately pure.
Old 12/16/2006, 03:28 PM
Registered Member

You should call the company to make sure that it's anhydrous CaCl with no additives. Otherwise stick with DowFlake.

JM2C
Old 12/17/2006, 10:34 PM
Registered Member

I have used it in the past before I got my calicum reactor, It works great but a couple of times I got the calcium too high. Take it slow.
Old 02/22/2007, 08:35 AM
Soul of a Sailor

Here's a bump for us people down south who have trouble finding the de-icers.

According to the MSDS for DampRid, it's 74-100% calcium chloride with probable contaminants of calcium carbonate, calcium hydroxide, calcium oxide, alkali metal chlorides, and alkaline earth metal chlorides.

It sounds pretty safe to me since the purity is similar to Dowflake and most of the contaminants listed are things we already add to our tanks. What's your take?
Old 02/22/2007, 08:38 AM
Purveyor of Misguidance

Quote:
Originally posted by greenbean36191
Here's a bump for us people down south who have trouble finding the de-icers.

According to the MSDS for DampRid, it's 74-100% calcium chloride with probable contaminants of calcium carbonate, calcium hydroxide, calcium oxide, alkali metal chlorides, and alkaline earth metal chlorides.

It sounds pretty safe to me since the purity is similar to Dowflake and most of the contaminants listed are things we already add to our tanks. What's your take?
Greenbean, have you considered looking in the pool section of Home Depot and Lowe's or maybe a pool supply place. That is where I get all my Dowflake down here.
Old 02/22/2007, 08:53 AM
Soul of a Sailor

I've already got lots of DampRid now, so that's the main reason I ask.

The one pool store I know of in town does sell 90% calcium chloride, but they only have it in 45 lb buckets, which would last me forever. I might be able to spread that around back in Huntsville, but I really don't want to have to lug around a huge bucket of it back and forth from school trying to pawn off what I can't use.
Old 02/22/2007, 09:41 AM
Dirty Reefer

I checked into it a long time ago as there is a lot of the product around here. I contacted the company and if I recall correctly it was Tetra Chemicals Calcium. (I might be wrong ) anyway they did not have a detailed breakdown of the impurities so it is still a guess.
Sure would be nice for someone who has all the high tech equipment to test it out as it is more common than Dowflake and available year round.

The Last Resort, The Eagles
Old 02/22/2007, 02:17 PM
Reef Chemist

My take, as always with any random brand of calcium chloride, is that it may be OK, and may not be. It is a risk you take if you use it. if you do try it, first measure ammonia to make sure that is not too high, then start very slowly with it.

I test Dowflake for ammonia with a test kit here:

Purity of Calcium Chloride
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/mar2004/chem.htm

Sure would be nice for someone who has all the high tech equipment to test it out as it is more common than Dowflake and available year round

The problem with any secondary product like this is that they may change bulk suppliers weekly, seasonally, etc. So just because it is Ok for us one time, it may not be OK another. Their only obligation is to make sure it meets their own specs, not ours.