Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment

Old 05/10/2006, 05:25 PM
Premium Member

7 Month 150W XDE 20Ks vs 14K New Phoenix

I just replaced 1 of my two 150W 20K XDE bulbs (Bluewave ballast) with a 14K phoenix. The difference is jaw dropping, and that is an understatement. The 20K XM looks like a moon light next to the 14K phoenix (not kidding).

Now, I have no idea how much the XMs dropped off over the last 7 months, but there is no way they were as bright as the phoenix bulbs when they were new. I pulled em 2 feet or so off the water because I am afraid they will bleach everything.

What can I say, but wow!
Old 05/10/2006, 05:39 PM
Registered Member

Depends.
Does the Xm look more blue?
Old 05/10/2006, 06:38 PM
Premium Member

Yes the XM is more blue (it is 20K). The point was, that color aside, the pure brightness of the new bulb is astounding compared to the XM.

The XDE 20K has likely the worst par out of any bulb sanjay tested. He has not tested the phoenix 150W yet, but if it is anything like the 250, it has nearly double the par of the XM.

As I mentioned the XMs were 7 months old so I am not sure how much output they lost.

I will give you three choices

1) The XMs have lost about 50% of their ouput and the phoenix is not really any better than the new XM (not a chance)
2) The XMs lost 25% and the Phoenix is 25% brigher than a new XM
3) The XM has not dropped off that much and the Phoenix has twice is much output as the XM.

Pick number either 2 or 3. The bulbs blow the XMs away.

I will add actinics to get the nice blue color back and never look back. Sillyto think that those crummy 20Ks were enough by themselves. I would also note that they don't offer much fluoresence even though they are a nice pretty blue (the XMs).
Old 05/10/2006, 07:07 PM
Premium Member

be interesting to compare once sanjay does the test on the phoenix 150's and the new iwasaki 150 de's.
he's got one for the 175w that shows good numbers.
I went ahead and switched the stock 14k out of the sunpod for the 150 iwasaki aqua2 20k and its a significant difference, the 20k looks like my t5 10k with 03 actinic flourescent color wise, but brighter. i'd imagine the phoenix 14k would be more "bluer" than the iwasaki though.
Old 05/10/2006, 07:10 PM
Premium Member

I am thrilled any way I look at it. I will miss the color of the XMs, but will bask in the new PAR. Like I said the XMs still need SuperActinic Rs (or similar) to get the pop anyway. I got hte bulbs cheap, but it is now appearant that I wasted my money and 7 months of growth!
Old 05/10/2006, 07:57 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BeanAnimal
Yes the XM is more blue (it is 20K). The point was, that color aside, the pure brightness of the new bulb is astounding compared to the XM.

The XDE 20K has likely the worst par out of any bulb sanjay tested. He has not tested the phoenix 150W yet, but if it is anything like the 250, it has nearly double the par of the XM.

As I mentioned the XMs were 7 months old so I am not sure how much output they lost.

I will give you three choices

1) The XMs have lost about 50% of their ouput and the phoenix is not really any better than the new XM (not a chance)
2) The XMs lost 25% and the Phoenix is 25% brigher than a new XM
3) The XM has not dropped off that much and the Phoenix has twice is much output as the XM.

Pick number either 2 or 3. The bulbs blow the XMs away.

Brightness has a direct correlation to color.
Blue light has less lumens and will always appear less bright. Sanjay will tell you this too.
Thus to compare a 14K and a more blue blub like a 20K based on brightness is not a good comparasion.
A Par meter will be a good way to measure output of the bulbs to do a proper comparasion.
Old 05/10/2006, 08:32 PM
Premium Member

I am aware of the differences in appearant brightness depending on color spectrum (I am an ISF certified calibration technician). The point I am trying to make is that these are not even close.

The 14K phoenix bulbs have quite a bit of blue in them anyway. From others PAR measurements, the XM bulbs are horrible.

In addition, usually less LUMENS means less par anway.

I do not have a PAR meter but am looking forward to buying or borrowing one in the near future.
Old 05/10/2006, 09:50 PM
Registered Member

Actually I was referring to measuring par loss on each bulb respctively as opposed to comparing both bulbs.
Old 05/10/2006, 10:28 PM
Premium Member

That would be my goal in the future. Measure new bulbs after break and then on a periodic basis to determine when to replace them, as well has how to aclimate with new bulbs.