Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment

Old 01/06/2008, 06:42 PM
Registered Member

ASM vs Octopus vs Tunze (skimmers), SKimmer Decision and return pump question

I'm setting up a new setup this week and considering a new skimmer that would cut down on the noise of my CSS65. Right now I am thinking about the Octopus skimmers, ASM G1 or mini G and the Tunze 9002. The tank is going to be an Oceanic 58 gallon with either a 20L or 29 gallon sump. I want the quietest skimmer possible that will be effective. I realize the Tunze 9002 is made for tanks a little smaller than mine, but I have a light bioload and will also have a refugium, which is why I am still considering it, since I know it is almost silent. Can anyone give me input on the noise level and comparisons (skimmate production etc) with these skimmers?

I am also looking at replacing the return pump I am using on my current system (Mag 5) with another pump. I was wondering what other options you would consider using for a pump around this same flow rate used internally. I've heard good things about the eheims but they are a little out of my price range for right now. What other pumps are quiet and are fairly reasonable in price.

I am trying to keep this tank as quiet as possible because it is in my bedroom and I don't want to have to shut it off when my gf stays the night, my current setup makes too much noise, so I shutoff the skimmer and return and leave the powerheads running in the sump and display at night so it is almost silent.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Old 01/06/2008, 07:08 PM
Premium Member

I`d go with a G2 if you are going to use an ASM skimmer. I have no exp with the Tunze

I`m using a G2 on my 40g and like it
Old 01/06/2008, 08:13 PM
Registered Member

I have tried them all I believe Octopus will give you the results and more bang for the buck in the long run.
Old 01/06/2008, 09:31 PM
Registered Member

mlehman, thanks for the input

j tavares-- thank you for the input also, how was the octopus in terms of noise compared to the others?
Old 01/06/2008, 10:42 PM
Registered Member

I dont know about the 9002, but my 9010 is so quiet compared to other stuff that if I didnt see foam, I would think it was not running.
Old 01/07/2008, 01:38 PM
Registered Member

thanks runfrumu, still would like some more feedback please
Old 01/07/2008, 02:04 PM
One Good Friend

IMO the asm's are overpriced. The tunze 9002 will be to small for a total volume of 70ish gallons. The octo 150 will work well for you and i'd get a coralvue extreme octo 150 for around 200bux. Not sure how quiet they are though. Regular octo's are fairly quiet. Tunze's are very quiet and you would be great with a 9010.
Old 01/07/2008, 02:48 PM
Premium Member

The Tunze 9002 is tiny, really tiny. You don't know how tiny until you see it. It's too small for a tank of that size. I'd go with either the Octopus 150 or the Tunze 9010. The 9010 super quiet and skims very well.
Old 01/07/2008, 02:57 PM
Registered Member

What about the Tunze 9005? It's rated for up to 130g, the 9010 is for up to 260g, which is surely too much. the 9005 is almost $100 cheaper too.
Old 01/07/2008, 03:04 PM
Premium Member

You said this will have a sump, right? If that is the case and you are putting the skimmer in the sump you will need the sump kit to go with the 9005. The 9010 comes with the sump kit, so that closes the gap closer to $50 difference, and the 9010 is a more powerful skimmer with a bigger cup. I had a 9005 and although I liked it, I felt the squatty cup hindered skimmer performance because of how quickly the foam would pack in there.
Old 01/07/2008, 03:12 PM
Registered Member

I realize that the 9002 is underpowered, but since this will be a primarily soft coral and polyp tank, I'm not sure I want the water to be skimmed as heavy as the 9010 would, I have considered it and still am, but I've had luck with soft corals/mushrooms and polyps growing better in a slightly nutrient rich aquarium which is why I was considering the under powered 9002. I've heard good things about the octopus as well, but quiet is in the "ear of the beholder" so to speak which is why I wanted more input. My CSS65 actually skims really well and produces nice dark skimmate, but I bought it used and am having trouble coming up with a silencer to work. Since I'm building a new sump, I'm trying to figure out which skimmer to use so I can design it even if I can buy it right away. I guess I could just build it to use the largest skimmer I may use.

9010 back on the list, and maybe even the 9005.

Anyone have suggestions on return pumps, like I said before using a Mag 5 right now, just looking for other options.

Thanks eveyone for the help so far.
Old 01/07/2008, 09:46 PM
Registered Member

bump
Old 01/07/2008, 09:59 PM
Registered Member

my tank is in the bedroom too and i am very sensitive to noise... i am a very light sleeper... i have a 30 gallon main tank... my return pump is capable of 150gph after head loss but i have it turned all the way down to around 70gph because the sound of the water trickling down the 1.25" flexible drain tube is bothering me and it won't let me sleep...

i have the Reef Octopus recirculating skimmer... it is not completely silent but it is very quiet... the most prominent sound that the skimmer makes is the sound of water and air mixing... with the cabinet closed, it does not bother me... the sound of my "6 fan is actually louder than the water/air mix of the skimmer...

the skimmer is easy to adjust... just make sure that you provide it with a constant water level... if you get the recirculating version, you have to provide the feed pump with a constant water level too...
Old 01/08/2008, 12:06 AM
Registered Member

thanks flipteg, good info, any recommendations as far as pumps anyone?
Old 01/08/2008, 12:24 AM
Reef Ready

I have an Octopus recirc skimmer with an Eheim return pump. The Octopus does what I need it to do, but the recirc is a little noisy. I can just hear it drawing air, so unless it has a silencer, I wouldn't recommend it for a bedroom.

As for the return pump, I started with a Mag and then went to an Eheim because I found a deal for a used one. The only other pump I considered was an Ocean Runner, but I was pretty set on Eheim as I wouldn't have saved that much money, so I didn't spend much time on the OR. Is the Mag that noisy? I had a Mag 9.5 and I didn't think it was noisy, but then again, it wasn't in my bedroom.
Old 01/08/2008, 01:38 AM
Registered Member

The mag isn't too noisy, I think if I silicone the base and let it cure, to provide a "shock absorber" to keep the vibration off the bottom of the aquarium it might be quieter. Going to watch for deals on Eheim pumps, maybe after the tank is setup for a little I'll get one. In the mean time I'll take ideas for how to keep the vibration off the pump from echoing. My dad recommended using some sponge or foam, but I don't want a nitrate factory in the aquarium because eventually it will be forgotten about.

Looks like I'll be trying to find a deal on a Tunze skimmer, maybe an Octopus without the Recirc
Old 01/08/2008, 01:11 PM
sweeeet!!

I have the exact same tank, an Oceanic 58g. But I have mine over a 100g Rubbermaid sump with a 40g breeder setting next to it. I also have a 40g fuge ready to be plumbed into it as well. Anyways.... I use both of the overflow holes as drains and return over the top, currently with a Mag 9.5. The return pump is temporary until I get my external plumbed.

As for my skimmer, I use an ATi BM200 and love it!! The only noise I hear is the water going back into the sump, otherwise the entire system is dead quiet. ATi makes a smaller skimmer called the BM160....

Let it snow, I have a hobby to pay for!!!
Old 01/08/2008, 01:18 PM
Reef Ready

You try something with suction cups. Maybe try some big suction cups to put underneath eggcrate to make a stand for the Mag. The suction cups should absorb some of the vibrations coming from the pump.

I actually elevated my return pump off the floor with a stand made of eggcrate because I have a 1" sand bed in my sump/fuge. I didn't want the pump drawing any sand, so that's why i elevated it.
Old 01/08/2008, 01:40 PM
Registered Member

In regards to pumps, I use a Quiet One 3000. I'm not sure where they got their name from. Mine started off pretty quiet, but then it developed a vibration and became noisy. I isolated it on rubber pads and cushioned the pipes to minimize the noise, but overall I was not impressed with the "quiet". However the pump has worked extremely well for me, just a little noisy from the vibration.

From what I've seen most pumps in a given price range "sound" about the same. What is more important is how you isolate the pump from vibrating etc. against something else. I think if I had planned my sump better I could have isolated the pump well enough where the noise would be minimal.

My dumbest mistake was that I hard-plumbed the return pipe to a bracket that attached to the wall of the house. Thus when that vibration started, the wall acted as a resonating chamber and amplified the sound. If I did it again the intake and return pipes would be joined to the pump using some flexible tubing so I minimize the vibrations that pass through the pipes.
Old 01/09/2008, 01:58 PM
sweeeet!!

Oceanhighz, per your request, here are a few views of the back side of my 58g Oceanic. The return pump is temporary until I can plumb in my new OM Squirt. Also, I share the sump with a 40g reef and a soon to be 40 fuge.

The reason I use two overflows in the tank (really in all of my tanks) is that I prefer to have a back up drain (just in case a snail gets stuck or something) and I prefer the devices one can get such as OM products, Sea Swirls, etc...

Just was in the sump room this afternoon and aside from the skimmer drain, I can't hear a thing!!!

Let it snow, I have a hobby to pay for!!!
Old 01/09/2008, 04:11 PM
Pie Is My Favorite Flavor

I've had an ASM G2, Tunze 9002 and the Tunze 9010.

The ASM was modded with a gate valve but was still inconsistent collecting skimmate so I eventually sold it and bought the 9010. The 9010 is dead silent and collects very consistently and I'm quite happy with it.

I had the 9002 on a 29g tank that had a large bioload on it and never really got it working correctly. I don't know if it was user error or just not enough of a load for the skimmer to work, but I wasn't ever happy with it.

I would say the 9002 is not enough for your application and you would be better server by a 9010. It seems like a lot of $ right now, but it's a fantastic skimmer that should satisfy you to no end.