Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes

Old 12/28/2007, 10:39 PM
Registered Member

potters angelfish

Hey everyone... where is the best place to find a potters angelfish. I cant get them in town as i live in bismarck north dakota and only have a few small local shops, and no owners want to order in a potters. What would be a good choice of a website... ive been watching liveaquaria and phishy business but neither of them have any in. THank you for your time.
Old 12/29/2007, 12:35 AM
Registered Member

You do realise Potter's are very difficult to ship and acclimate? Also most are not reef safe. Otherwise do a search on Google. You will find a few sources for them.
Old 12/29/2007, 01:01 AM
Registered Member

Watch in the divers den at liveaquaria. They've had a few in, in the last couple of months. They go fast though!
Old 12/29/2007, 02:38 AM
Premium Member

I've tried 2 Potters in my 4 years of saltwater, both did not live more than a few weeks. I've talked to a few people that have also tried to keep them and none have done so successfully......so buy with caution.....too bad though, they are beautiful fish!!!
Old 12/29/2007, 02:50 AM
Team RC Member

If you are dead set on giving this a shot, here your go.

www.marinedepotlive.com/potters-angel---centropyge-potteri-fish--angels--dwarf-.html

But I don't personally think your tank is big enough.
Old 12/29/2007, 06:30 AM
Registered Member

I just got one, and after a quick lesson on who is boss from my maroon clown, it has quickly adapted to my tank. Eats anything, always swimming through the rocks, I must have got lucky, its an awesome fish, and hasn't given me any problems yet
Old 12/29/2007, 12:16 PM
Registered Member

lol sorry guys i am no newbie... i am only 16 but have had my reef tank for 5 years. i had a beautiful potters for over a year but i had a tank fire on my old 30 gal. reef that burned my room and sadly all my fish and coral.. So i started over and now curently have a 29 set up with thriving sps a crocea and derasa and a rbta with a pair of ora picasso clowns. my old potters was a pain to get to eat, it took a week of hard work runnin down to my lfs every day to try differnt foods tell he got hungry enough and started eatin.
Old 12/29/2007, 01:50 PM
Losing my mind

Go29, that fish you had was one in a million. I personally have tried 6 Potters, I know another person with a 400 gallon tank that has tried 4, fed high quality food every day, and STILL didn't get any of them to live. IMO unless you manage to find one that's captive bred (I don't know of any spawnings unless maybe RCT managed, but they're not in business ATM) they're a fish that's better left in the ocean.
Old 12/29/2007, 02:49 PM
Registered Member

I have had very different experiences, I have 7 total right now a pair and a single female, all of which are now 11 months in my tanks, and the rest I collected in october of this year. All of these except 1 took frozen foods from the 3rd or 4th day. All are still alive, I know that isn't "long term", but I see no reason they shouldn't all survive, they are fat and active eating a variety of foods and picking off the rocks. The pair is in my FOWLR, a single sm female and a pair are in my reef and the others are in my uncles 55 fish only tank. In each of my tanks with them is a trio of cherubs and a single fisher's. The one thing about all of them (all of my fish for that matter) is I collected them myself so I know how they were handled from the reef all they way to my home tanks and I probably take more care then the commercial collectors, but I've personally never had trouble with potters.
Old 12/29/2007, 02:50 PM
Premium Member

Go29,
Man, that sucks that you had a fire and burned up your room/tank. Glad you kept in the hobby!
Old 12/29/2007, 03:42 PM
Registered Member

lol ya it was kinda a bad time, but somehow my rents found it in themsleves to let me continue with this sweet hobby.. so the consensus seems to be prolyl better left to someone who can either collect them or mabey provide alot more area in there tanks... so does anyone have other choices for some more un ordidnary atractive , fish to put im my sps dominated 29. i will prolly add a flame angel but i kind of wanted to keep this tank with some more exoctic fish species as all of the hobbyists around my area all kinda have the same fish. so i have picassos and what else would you suggest... again thanks for your time everyone.
Old 12/29/2007, 04:16 PM
Premium Member

where is everyone getting these potters from??? They shouldn't have that high of a mortality rate. I have great luck with potters angels, holding/shipping/eating etc. It sounds like they are being roughed up along the way through the normal chain. If you buy them direct from Hawaii (or your LFS buys them direct from Hawaii) it will increase their chances significantly. they aren't as hardy as flames or lemonpeels but given proper care and decompression they do very well in captivity. the waikiki aquarium has had one for 17 years now!

also, they are probably the most reef safe for angels
Old 12/29/2007, 05:25 PM
Premium Member

Go29,
If you like the looks of a Potters Angel (and who wouldn't?), try a Rusty Angel....their colors are very similar to a Potters and they are much hardier. I kept one successfully for about 2 years. Check them out....
Old 12/29/2007, 06:17 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zemuron114
also, they are probably the most reef safe for angels [/B]
Mine definitely didn't get that particular memo.

I've got one that had been at the LFS for at least a couple of months and was fat and sassy when I bought it. So far so good - it eats everything.

Unfortunately, I've had to remove all of my acans, favias, and open brain corals from this tank. The angel had nipped the brain down to the skeleton before I caught him at it. Still have a scolymia and an elegance frag in there that he doesn't seem to bother, but I'm monitoring the situation closely.

I had a cherub before that was a model citizen by comparison. It's really a crapshoot.
Old 12/29/2007, 07:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
where is everyone getting these potters from??? They shouldn't have that high of a mortality rate. I have great luck with potters angels, holding/shipping/eating etc. It sounds like they are being roughed up along the way through the normal chain. If you buy them direct from Hawaii (or your LFS buys them direct from Hawaii) it will increase their chances significantly. they aren't as hardy as flames or lemonpeels but given proper care and decompression they do very well in captivity. the waikiki aquarium has had one for 17 years now!

also, they are probably the most reef safe for angels

I agree never heard this much about people not being able to keep them alive. As for being the most reef safe i have no idea. I would wait for one on liveaquaria as they seem to have the most healthiest fish imo.
Old 12/29/2007, 07:37 PM
Premium Member

rssjsb - that is unusual. There aren't any corals really in Hawaii that we keep so it surprises me he ate everything. Goes to show all fish are individuals
Old 12/29/2007, 10:29 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
rssjsb - that is unusual. There aren't any corals really in Hawaii that we keep so it surprises me he ate everything. Goes to show all fish are individuals
I know, right? Just my luck. He's gorgeous, though. He's the boss of the tank.
Old 12/30/2007, 09:45 AM
Registered Member

Great Fish

I have had my Potter's for 11 months now and it's a great fish.

Mine actually started eating flake food first but now it eats anything I put in the tank.

Here is a pic, tought to get a good one cause it doesn't stop moving.

Old 12/30/2007, 09:52 AM
Registered Member

well

i have 1 for nearly 2 months now. took 2 weeks for him to start eating and till now he had only been feeding on pellets. however that had got him fat and bossing everyone around in my tank

here's a pic of him