Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > SCUBA/Snorkeling
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/23/2007, 07:40 PM
That's Mind Bottling !

Info on Bonaire

I am thinking about a trip to Bonaire in the late Spring ! Who can tell me anything about Bonaire ? I am curious about great places to choose for diving.....great places to stay or avoid ! Who to book a flight with ?

I look at her with my head tilted to the side and in a soft voice I just say; You're so pretty !
Old 10/25/2007, 02:53 PM
10 & Over Club

It's been a few years since I've been there, but anyplace you can jump in the water has good diving. We stayed at the Sand Dollar and the reef right off the dock there was excellent. My understanding is that the same can be said for the other hotels along the same strip. Lot's of good beach access for driving around the island and doing beach dives. However, don't leave any valuables alone in the car or on the beach. Theft rate of such items was pretty high, and I've heard it still is.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 10/25/2007, 06:01 PM
Registered Member

My local dive shop sponsors trips there all the time, and they love the diving, I have seen some great photos.
Old 10/27/2007, 05:51 PM
That's Mind Bottling !

Do I have to take out a second mortgage to pay for the trip though ???

I look at her with my head tilted to the side and in a soft voice I just say; You're so pretty !
Old 10/27/2007, 06:00 PM
Registered Member

I have been to Bonaire 8 times in the last 25 years with this last May being my most recent trip. I have been diving for 25 years and Bonaire is my favorite place to go. Huge populations of fish and the best shore diving in the world. Sand dollar has the most diverse selection of fish on it's house reef than anywhere in the world. Look it up if you are a doubter. I work for AA but bought tickets and it cost me $1100.00 for 2 round trip. Depends on your lodging and what you want to spend but there are many nice places to stay. Any ??? just ask. Scott.
Old 10/27/2007, 06:02 PM
Registered Member

Look at www.scubaboard.com in the lesser antilles forum and search Bonaire. One of the forum moderators runs a resort there and gives discounts.

Here you go...
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/abc-islands/
Old 10/28/2007, 09:32 PM
Registered Member

We went in August this year, the diving is great. It is kinda expensive IMO. We had a bad experience unfortunately, I'm over it now. I have a thread on Bonaire talk it's titled "robbed in Bonaire" back in August. It really is a beautiful place with excellent diving though and tons of life to see. Good Luck.
Old 10/28/2007, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

What bad experience did you have? Where did you stay?
Old 10/28/2007, 10:50 PM
Registered Member

We stayed at Sand Dollar. Everything about it is on Bonairetalk. It's a long story and we are still dealing with the insurance on it.
Old 10/29/2007, 10:57 AM
Registered Member

Wow I have syated there 4 times with no issues. I do make sure to lock the bolt in the sliding door and never leave anything out on the patio if we are not there though. I never trust anyone on vacation and always put all my $$$ and computers in the safe anywhere I go. What part of OK. are you in?
Old 10/30/2007, 12:43 AM
Registered Member

We are in Norman.