Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/09/2007, 11:45 AM
out of work reefer...

anyone keeping bulldogs?

Hi

anyone keeping english bulldogs?We have been looking at them our local pet store wants 5000.00 for a female with a chip I had to laugh

any one keep one pros and cons please
Old 09/09/2007, 12:18 PM
Registered Member

I don't personally, but from what I've seen in the dog world, to get a well bred english is going to cost you at least $1000-$1500. And with all the associated health problems, you get what you pay for from a good breeder.

In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog. - Edward Hoagland
Old 09/09/2007, 12:43 PM
That's Mind Bottling !

Yeah sorry to tell you but English Bullies are NOT CHEAP ! and just like emilye said...you definetly get what you pay for !!!

Although a pet store I would be cautious of unless you are well acquainted with the owners/operators and can vouch for who their breeders are ! That was one of the reason my parents' shop didn't carry dogs and cats.....they didn't want to be a part of the puppy mill tragedy in the world.

Anyway, from all the checking I did into them, cause I sooooo want one....They fart.........ALOT ! Their respiratory systems are 'rough' and my heart just breaks everytime I see one get out of breath because they breath so heavily it sounds like their dying !!!

They can be very Bull-ish (hence the name) when they try to jump up to you. Their like fire hydrants with their short stocky build and large weight.

FWIW, I got alot of great information from Bulldog rescue sites. They talk alot about the negative sides of owning a Bully only because they want prospective new owners/adoptees to know what their getting into with the breed.

Have you considered an American Bulldog ?

I look at her with my head tilted to the side and in a soft voice I just say; You're so pretty !
Old 09/09/2007, 02:20 PM
hobbyist

Quote:
Originally posted by UH_OH_5_OH

Have you considered an American Bulldog ?
AB's are wonderful dogs. We looked at English very carefully but opted for the AB for a variety of reasons. Price and health issues among the most important. This is our soon to be 2 y.o. AB, Rudy at 105 lbs.
Old 09/09/2007, 02:41 PM
Registered Member

How often does he get called a pit/boxer cross?

In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog. - Edward Hoagland
Old 09/09/2007, 02:53 PM
That's Mind Bottling !

People asked if Lucy was a pit sometimes but her disposition was so wonderful they quickly abandoned that after 10 seconds around her !

And I must say that once you own an American Bulldog, you can tell the difference RIGHT AWAY even on first site you can spot an American Bulldog ! One thing they are known for is VERY tolerant of and protective of children....Lucy would just sit in the backyard while the kids tusseled with her and she never once got out of line with them.

Oh but let someone try and come into the fence when she was on duty and she would run over to the fence and growl in a low tone and then just EYEBALL em til they decided to leave ! She never got boisterous or vicious in any way at all ! She would just stare em down til they walked away !

I look at her with my head tilted to the side and in a soft voice I just say; You're so pretty !
Old 09/09/2007, 03:03 PM
Registered Member

oh Lord in Heaven! unless you have gas masks available for every resident of your household and for every guest who ever comes in, don't even consider it.

sorry, bully owners, i'm only half kidding. my co-worker has 2 english bulldogs. even the puppy, at 8 weeks old, could empty a room with one fart. i never thought anything could smell worse than a horse fart but yeah, whew!
Old 09/09/2007, 03:07 PM
hobbyist

Quote:
Originally posted by emilye2
How often does he get called a pit/boxer cross?
Quite often. Most will think it's a boxer. A few think pit but AB's are built differently and are taller than pits. I'm used to the comments/questions.
Old 09/09/2007, 03:19 PM
hobbyist

another pic

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Old 09/09/2007, 03:33 PM
out of work reefer...

yeah I heard about the farts.But have heard great things also about them.Wife thinks they are ugly..lol
Old 09/09/2007, 03:40 PM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Originally posted by UH_OH_5_OH
People asked if Lucy was a pit sometimes but her disposition was so wonderful they quickly abandoned that after 10 seconds around her !
yes because most pitbulls chase their owners aroung the house trying to kill them....
Old 09/09/2007, 04:40 PM
Registered Member

seriously, bulldogs require some extra care because they cannot tolerate heat, they can develop skin conditions overnight and if you ever intend to breed them, i believe most times they need a c-section.

where's our resident bulldog expert when you need him?