Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Ohio Reef Aquarists (CORA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/21/2007, 10:44 AM
out of work reefer...

flood flood flood...call the coast gaurd

man we got smashed today.I had over 5 feet of water in my basement first time I ever got water.It filled my sump with sewer water then into my main tank.It was 4.5 feet off the ground!

I am making up new water to change it out.all fish are still alive.We had 10tv down here.my parents got a bout 5 .5 in their basement.

Some people had to be taken out in boats in low places..what else can go wrong..I am just not ment to have this tank running,its one thing after another I would say everyone on my street and my parents lost their water heater and furance,xmas stuff its just a mess all around town.I hope no one got hurt!!!

just had to vent

http://www.wbcowqel.com/news.html

Last edited by zaireguy; 08/21/2007 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08/21/2007, 10:58 AM
Team RC Member

wow! it's hard to magine 5 ft of water in my basement. did it rain that bad or was something just backed up in the lines?
Old 08/21/2007, 11:23 AM
Moved On

Location: Marion, for about 4 hours every night, OSU Grad office the rest of the day
Yeah, roads were all closed north of marion around bucyrus, several places got 8"+ of rain, in marion we got around 4-5 i think, roads were all a mess, for once we didn't lose electricity though,
Zaireguy, if you need a temporary tank or anything let me know, I'm just down 98 in marion,
Old 08/21/2007, 11:28 AM
Hydrophilic

Real sorry to hear that man. Here I was mad when I woke up to a power outtage, then a leaky bulkhead when the power came back on. You win. Hope the cleanup goes as smoothly as possible for you, and glad everyones alright.

Have Some Personal Accountability
Old 08/21/2007, 12:21 PM
Registered Member

Sorry to hear about your situation, I hope everything goes well in the clean up efforts.

Kyle
Old 08/21/2007, 12:44 PM
Always a Buckeye

My hometown not far from you (Shelby) got hit hard too. My parents have 18" of water in their basements.

Old 08/21/2007, 01:34 PM
Registered Member

I live in Shelby and made it to work with some lucky driving thru water. Now they say there is no way back into town, the roads are all worse than when I left. The Shelby High School football field had water 5 or 6 rows high in the bleachers at 7:00 AM and now its worse.
Old 08/21/2007, 02:54 PM
out of work reefer...

thanks all ,clean up is almost done.changed 30 gallons of water so far have more being made..cleaned the sump and skimmer and am soaking the pumps.

so far all fish are counted for besides the black tang and one clown fish,have no idea on the corals yet

Old 08/21/2007, 03:21 PM
CORA Member

Let me know if you need anything. I only ended up with about 60 gallons of water in the basement.

The bad thing is, we could get rain for the next 5 days.

Here is a shot from the Shelby football field.

http://www.wmfd.com/slideshow/082107...w.asp?slide=48

CORA Member
Old 08/21/2007, 08:24 PM
Premium Member

Holy Crap! Flood water in the sump!

How do you plan for that one?!?

Man our weather in the Marion area has been crazy lately.
Old 08/21/2007, 08:29 PM
Team RC Member

use flexible pvc and a put your equipment on a floating boat dock!
Old 08/22/2007, 05:29 AM
Registered Member

zaireguy- Get ahold of me if you think I have something you need. I hope you recover from this.

On a side note, it's like night and day around here. I'm about 5 miles North of Shelby and all is well here. The drive home from Shelby, well, it was deep. 3' in some spots. St Rt 61 had atleast 4' just North of town.
Jason
Old 08/22/2007, 12:40 PM
Registered Member

You guys are making national news, I'm in New Jersey at the moment and the Ohio flooding is all over the news.
Old 08/22/2007, 01:15 PM
Premium Member

Maybe your missing fish made a swim for it. =)

"All drains lead to the sea, kid..."
Old 08/22/2007, 04:57 PM
Premium Member

did you find your black tang and clown yet?
Old 08/24/2007, 04:15 AM
Registered Member

Here's a pic of the new Firebird minisub, spotted in Findlay yesterday. I think the date on the camera is way off though.

PEACE.....from Zeppelin

300 gallon Tenacor Acrylic Peninsula tank
Old 08/24/2007, 05:00 AM
out of work reefer...

have found all the fish.they finally came out....but I hate to see the water bill coming
Old 08/24/2007, 08:37 AM
Registered Member

water bill should be pretty cheap; in fact they should pay you because of all of the water you are wanting to give back!
Old 08/24/2007, 11:37 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zaireguy
have found all the fish.they finally came out....but I hate to see the water bill coming
Good to hear. Water bill is better than having to replace a bunch of fish anyways. It really shouldn't add THAT much to it.

PEACE.....from Zeppelin

300 gallon Tenacor Acrylic Peninsula tank
Old 08/24/2007, 12:17 PM
out of work reefer...

Quote:
Originally posted by icu2
water bill should be pretty cheap; in fact they should pay you because of all of the water you are wanting to give back!
Amen! Thanks to the city and putting in new sewers cause they are suppose to help with stuff like this, they sure did a "CRAPPY" JOB! Our neighbors have lived on this street for over 40 years and said they have never had water in their basement until now. The mayor said that NO sewer system could have handled what we got. I think someone is trying to cover for some very bad decisons that have been made.

Quote:
Originally posted by zeppelin
Good to hear. Water bill is better than having to replace a bunch of fish anyways.
The clown came out on it's own. The baby and I went a search and rescue mission to find the black tang. I was not going to rest until I either found a body or it swimming around. So I got a tube and started poking it around behind and in between rocks. Then there he was, popped out from behind a rock.

Quote:
It really shouldn't add THAT much to it.
The cost of our water is really high. There have been town meetings about the price of our water and someone did some research and we pay 10 times more then people in Columbus do.

Ronna {Mrs. Zaireguy}