Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/25/2007, 03:37 PM
Registered Member

nano fission

Hi all. It has been awhile since I have been on, but I received a fission nano for x-mas. Any ideas or thoughts about it? I was going to buy the nano oceanic skimmer (I have a 14 gallon oceanic). I have read some scary info and also I do not want to have to cut joints etc. I am aware it does not replace water changes...mmm good money spent or should I return it? Thanks
Claire
Merry X-mas!!! and happy new year!!
Old 12/25/2007, 04:31 PM
Registered Member

Haven't used one, but I've heard nothing but bad reviews about the fission skimmer.

I have a sapphire aquatics skimmer in my BC 14. Skims rather wet. If the nano oceanic skimmer is anything like the Sapphire aquatics, installation was not that big of a deal. Couple snips off the back wall...takes about 30 seconds.

Good Luck!

BioCube 14
Old 12/25/2007, 05:47 PM
Registered Member

Sorry to ruin the present for you, but it's a piece of junk. Had two. Neither one worked worth a darn.

Actually, they will skim. But they need CONSTANT adustments to work consistantly. One day it will skim nothing but water--next day it won't skim at all.

Height adjustment is CRITICAL with this skimmer. If you have it in a compartment where the water level is constant, it might work okay. But if you put it in the tank and have any evaporation--it won't work when the water level changes.

My advice:
Sell it on ebay before you drive yourself nuts fussing with it.

Go buy a beter one.
Old 12/25/2007, 06:27 PM
Registered Member

get yourself the oceanic skimmer..it actually works. I have 2..one in a 14 and 1 in a 29. Both im happy with..
Old 12/26/2007, 03:38 PM
Registered Member

Thanks. Gonna go try to return it. Guy is lame tho, sold it to my poor mother who thought it was the best gift ever for 65 dollars!! omg!!. horrible lfs anyway so i do not think he will give me a refund..sigh just in store credit, which i want nothing to do with. Okay gonna go threaten him and buy the oceanic.. hehe wish me luck!! thanks all, you just confirmed my fears!!
Old 12/28/2007, 08:17 PM
Registered Member

yea tht sux i got one a whle ago and i hated it but i got the cpr bakpak and it worked wonders
Old 12/28/2007, 09:01 PM
Registered Member

so far it seems to be working for me. i have it in the second compartment of my 12q aquapod. skimmed almost immediatly.
very hesitant thought about it working on the long haul. skimms very watery but it is dark and stinks to high heaven. micro bubbles are a pain though.
Old 12/28/2007, 09:30 PM
Registered Member

Claire - Yeah, it is a toy that on a good day will send microbubbles to your tank and the tiny collections cup will last all but a minute. In fact, I have an extra one if you need it.

There are many great skimmers out there for nano reef tanks but much, much more expensive than the fission nano.

Decent nano skimmers include but not limited to: AquaC Remora Nano, Deltec MCE300, Sapphire NC24, etc.

Scott
Old 12/28/2007, 09:45 PM
Zoa Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by cmb88
Thanks. Gonna go try to return it. Guy is lame tho, sold it to my poor mother who thought it was the best gift ever for 65 dollars!!
That is horrible!

I paid $20 for mine and that was easily $30 too expensive.