Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/08/2007, 04:44 PM
Registered Member

External Dolphin Pump - Any Reviews?

Does any one have this pump?
http://championlighting.com/product....cat=488&page=1

Recomendations?

Thanks

Last edited by coralfever; 11/08/2007 at 04:50 PM.
Old 11/08/2007, 10:06 PM
Registered Member

no one?
Old 11/08/2007, 10:16 PM
Registered Member

cant say much about that pump but I have had a dolphin submersible for about four years. never one problem except for 1 o ring which after four years in salt water I guess that will happen. I understand they no longer make the submersible models and have concentrated solely on external. I have never heard any thing bad about them. One of the LFS uses them and they like them.
Old 11/09/2007, 12:23 AM
Registered Member

I have the es 3500 nice strong pump had to put it the basement made more noise than I thought
Old 11/09/2007, 03:23 PM
Registered Member

thanks
How noisey? It will be in a tank room with some sound proofing.
Old 11/09/2007, 04:08 PM
Premium Member

I have used Dolphin externals for years. They do make some noise but I always had mine in the basement so it didn't bother me. One thing to keep in mind is that they will need to have the seal replaced on occasion. Not hard to do but in time it will happen. I know many recommend the Sequence pumps nowdays. Personally have never used them but many do.
Old 11/09/2007, 05:28 PM
Premium Member

There are the seal issues and there is also the fact that they use a stupid proprietary union to connect the pump to your plumbing. It's a pain to find the necessary adapter if you ever decide to switch from dolphin.

I switched to a sequence (barracuda) and wish I had done that 4 years ago.

James
Old 11/09/2007, 11:13 PM
Reefer

ReefDent,

Where do you find those Dolphin unions or what are they called?

I just paid them $18 to ship me 4 replacements and after I glued one of them, I realized that I forgot to use my spa flex and would like to redo the connection.

OP-I've had 3 Ampmaster 3000's for 5 years or so. I've sent them in to the factory to have the seals replaced as they have 9 year factory service on their products. They are quiet and have been problem free.

The factory service was not free, as they were out of warranty and I had to pay for it, but it was still nice to have them repaired. I guess you can easily replace them yourself, but I didn't.

Thanks!
Joyce

Last edited by Macimage; 11/09/2007 at 11:20 PM.
Old 11/09/2007, 11:35 PM
Registered Member

I have had major issues with dolphin pumps. First you need to ensure you get the abrasive proof seal or they will leak about once a year and need a new seal. Second I had a on/off switch break on my Dolphin Ampmaster 5500. It was in warranty period but they only offered regular mail at 4-5 days shipping. I had to hotwire around the switch since they wanted 40 bucks for overnight on a 1 oz part. On a single bulk order 3 pumps including my Bigmo 10500 GPH pump leaked. They said a new person built em and they will watch that person!!!

I would recommend teh Hammerhead over my dolphin, the only advantage dolphin has over my hammerhead is it does not plug as easy for snails or crabs that might stray into it.
Old 11/09/2007, 11:36 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Macimage
ReefDent,

Where do you find those Dolphin unions or what are they called?

I just paid them $18 to ship me 4 replacements and after I glued one of them, I realized that I forgot to use my spa flex and would like to redo the connection.

OP-I've had 3 Ampmaster 3000's for 5 years or so. I've sent them in to the factory to have the seals replaced as they have 9 year factory service on their products. They are quiet and have been problem free.

The factory service was not free, as they were out of warranty and I had to pay for it, but it was still nice to have them repaired. I guess you can easily replace them yourself, but I didn't.

Thanks!
Joyce
The MDA or abraisive proof seals are not supposed ot leak at all. Did you get the regular seal or the MDA seal?
Old 11/10/2007, 12:24 AM
Reefer

I will have to find out. I sent them in a few years ago and they replaced the seals. Then one started to leak a few months ago and I sent it in again. They never specified there was a difference when I called in my credit card information to pay for the seals. I didn't know there was a difference and the lady on the phone never mentioned it.

I will post again after I find the receipt tomorrow.

Thanks!
Joyce
Old 11/10/2007, 12:32 AM
Premium Member

They are not supposed to leak, but there have been problems with them as well.

The adapter was from custom aquatic. I don't see it on their website. I'll see if I can find the confirmation e-mail from them. You could also call and ask if they still have them. It was basically the male end of their union (just like the pump has on it) and that can be attached to the female end of the union connected to the plumbing and could then be hard-plumbed to whatever you needed on the other end.

James
Old 11/10/2007, 09:21 AM
Registered Member

hmmm.... Sounds like the Dolphins have some seal issues. I think I may pass on this pump. Maybe a sequence 1000?